BANGKOK
snoop1130

New, improved, but empty Khao San Road

New, improved, but empty Khao San Road

By The Nation

800_1af547218883026.jpg
Photo Credit: Nation Photo by Tanachai Pramarnpanich

The newly renovated Khao San Road, which is usually buzzing with backpackers, stands empty on May 24 as many venues have had to temporarily close in line with Covid-19 measures.

This road is normally full of tourists visiting bars and restaurants or haggling for the best souvenir from one of the many stalls lining the street.

Though the number of new Covid-19 cases has dropped dramatically, the government is still not allowing venues in Khao San Road to reopen or for foreigners to enter the country.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388476

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-25

• Sad 2

KS Road may have to consider some serious re-branding/PR if it wants to survive.
I can't imagine the usually broke backpacking crowd having any excess shekels to travel to SE Asia for quite some time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Deli said:

This place started loosing his charme in 2014 and now it's finally dead.

Loved it in the late 90ies and before. Hardly will return nowadays,.

You, like me, are too old. No appeal. 🤣

27 minutes ago, Deli said:

Oh, it lost its charm well before the late 90's.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 8:00 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Never saw bus loads of Chinese on Khao San, a smattering of them on the weekend, Koreans, as well as a few Indians and Pakistanis.  Primaily backpackers, Thais, Farangs, and the usual LB's, Bars were always packed, dinner venues were popular, and of course the Bib had to come down the road at 2 am to ensure people were moving on.  Miss eating my kabobs, and fried grass hoppers.... 

Edited by greeneking
so many adverts obscured my space I made an error. Sorry.

Too many recent 'initiatives' from Bangkok authorities have not improved the experience at all.  This dynamic economy does not need any help from committees of the elite. Widespread ownership of property by Crown Authorities is a concern.  Much of Rachadamnern has been shuttered for the last year.  And Democracy Monument is not easily accessible.

This area, for better or worse, has become a world famous magnet for tourism of a certain kind and independent Chinese travelers may have started joining in, but the big groups are nearby, though not here.

It might suit some if the Khao San of young, backpacking, independent world democrats never bounces back.

15 hours ago, Deli said:

it's dead because of the virus, prior to the virus it certainly was not dead, tourist numbers in banglampu may have been down but KSR was kicking every night.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Happy I experienced it right before the downfall in 2014, like almost at any other city too (Pattaya, CM etc). Remember how once there would always be dozens of backpackers on Working Holiday Visas in Australia, with still OK exchange rates, they would work 3 months and live as a king for 6 months in TH and repeat that for up to 2-3 years. That niche group is all gone now too, the AUD is worth more in neighbouring countries.

Edited by ChaiyaTH