New, improved, but empty Khao San Road

snoop1130

New, improved, but empty Khao San Road

By The Nation

800_1af547218883026.jpg
Photo Credit: Nation Photo by Tanachai Pramarnpanich

The newly renovated Khao San Road, which is usually buzzing with backpackers, stands empty on May 24 as many venues have had to temporarily close in line with Covid-19 measures.

This road is normally full of tourists visiting bars and restaurants or haggling for the best souvenir from one of the many stalls lining the street.

Though the number of new Covid-19 cases has dropped dramatically, the government is still not allowing venues in Khao San Road to reopen or for foreigners to enter the country.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388476

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-25

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Deli said:

This place started loosing his charme in 2014 and now it's finally dead.

Loved it in the late 90ies and before. Hardly will return nowadays,.

You, like me, are too old. No appeal. ????

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 8:00 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Never saw bus loads of Chinese on Khao San, a smattering of them on the weekend, Koreans, as well as a few Indians and Pakistanis.  Primaily backpackers, Thais, Farangs, and the usual LB's, Bars were always packed, dinner venues were popular, and of course the Bib had to come down the road at 2 am to ensure people were moving on.  Miss eating my kabobs, and fried grass hoppers.... 

Edited by greeneking
so many adverts obscured my space I made an error. Sorry.

Too many recent 'initiatives' from Bangkok authorities have not improved the experience at all.  This dynamic economy does not need any help from committees of the elite. Widespread ownership of property by Crown Authorities is a concern.  Much of Rachadamnern has been shuttered for the last year.  And Democracy Monument is not easily accessible.

This area, for better or worse, has become a world famous magnet for tourism of a certain kind and independent Chinese travelers may have started joining in, but the big groups are nearby, though not here.

It might suit some if the Khao San of young, backpacking, independent world democrats never bounces back.

15 hours ago, Deli said:

This place started loosing his charme in 2014 and now it's finally dead.

Loved it in the late 90ies and before. Hardly will return nowadays,.

it's dead because of the virus, prior to the virus it certainly was not dead, tourist numbers in banglampu may have been down but KSR was kicking every night.

• Like 1

Happy I experienced it right before the downfall in 2014, like almost at any other city too (Pattaya, CM etc). Remember how once there would always be dozens of backpackers on Working Holiday Visas in Australia, with still OK exchange rates, they would work 3 months and live as a king for 6 months in TH and repeat that for up to 2-3 years. That niche group is all gone now too, the AUD is worth more in neighbouring countries.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 5/26/2020 at 1:00 AM, ThailandRyan said:

and the usual LB's,

I haven't been back to K S Rd in years, but it wasn't a ladyboy hangout when I did go there. I'm surprised as I didn't think it was a bagpacker thing.

If it's been "improved" that is probably the end of of it as a place worth visiting.

Anyone know where the bagpackers were hanging out in preference, or were they still thinking K S Rd was worthwhile? Always amused me seeing them buying clothing at higher prices than in any night market.

Even when it was worth visiting it was a haven for those that preferred to talk about adventures than go out and have them.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:14 AM, tribalfusion001 said:

One time I was there I was getting off with this Thai girl in Mulligans bar and some French backpacker nicked her when I went to the toilet.

"Getting off" with her?   Don't flatter yourself, were negotiating with her!

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Haha 1

On 5/27/2020 at 7:07 AM, cyril sneer said:

why was it renovated anyway?

maybe linked to the previous drop in tourism due to banning of street vendors, with fully armed police patrolling the streets 

Street vendors were not banned from KSR.  All police in Thailand are "fully armed", that the police were patrolling KSR is nothing remarkable.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:00 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Never saw bus loads of Chinese on Khao San

You're not seeing the Big Picture that TAT has laid out for the world.

It's the New Normal Tourism!  Stellar TAT planning and advertising will convince that Chinese to flock to Khao San Road is hoards!

Imagine if you will the following written in Chinese and published by The New Normal TAT in Chinese newspapers and websites:
"And visit the scenic nightlight of Khao San Road where Western hippies, bums, and backpackers used to roam, but now fully cleaned and disinfected - Westerner-free - and home of the ever-famous All-You-Can-Eat Shrimp Buffets!!!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, connda said:

You're not seeing the Big Picture that TAT has laid out for the world.

It's the New Normal Tourism!  Stellar TAT planning and advertising will convince that Chinese to flock to Khao San Road is hoards!

Imagine if you will the following written in Chinese and published by The New Normal TAT in Chinese newspapers and websites:
"And visit the scenic nightlight of Khao San Road where Western hippies, bums, and backpackers used to roam, but now fully cleaned and disinfected - Westerner-free - and home of the ever-famous All-You-Can-Eat Shrimp Buffets!!!

There will also be a Museum Midway down with a glass front with figurines dressed like the backpackers of yesteryear, dressed as hippies, dressed as pan handling buskers, with pictures of the old, so they can enjoy the new.  Sounds like an investment opportunity.  The museum, not Khao San road improvements...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"Getting off" with her?   Don't flatter yourself, were negotiating with her!

That's where you are wrong, I met two girls who were managing a restaurant in The Street Ratchada and was invited to KSR with them in the evening. If it was a hooker I would have mentioned it in the story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/27/2020 at 3:14 AM, tribalfusion001 said:

and she had her hands down my jeans

I'll never forget the warm welcome I got, after we had been talking on a dating site for months, then finally hopping on a plane for my first visit. About the exact opposite of anything I got in bars in the States. Amazing Thailand. ❤️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Street vendors were not banned from KSR.  All police in Thailand are "fully armed", that the police were patrolling KSR is nothing remarkable.

Recent examples of patrols.  As a Tourist I would not feel protected.  I would feel intimidated.

I would feel maybe Khaosan was not a safe place.  When I saw most clubs have a lot of security staff I would feel the same.

Actually I find it very safe, but the authorities are heavy handed and out of touch.

khaosan.jpg

khao san.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, greeneking said:

Recent examples of patrols.  As a Tourist I would not feel protected.  I would feel intimidated.

I would feel maybe Khaosan was not a safe place.  When I saw most clubs have a lot of security staff I would feel the same.

Actually I find it very safe, but the authorities are heavy handed and out of touch.

khaosan.jpg

khao san.jpg

Your choice of photos was not good.  Those are not police patrols, they are BMA Tessakit officers and they are not armed.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 12:42 AM, from the home of CC said:

human dregs and 300bt rooms, won't miss it a bit..

I do miss the 90 Baht short-time room with a girl in BKK back in 1977/78.  Paniyang Tong hotel. That might have been happy hour prices.  Never saw a farang near there.

9 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:
On 5/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, Bob A Kneale said:

Your choice of photos was not good.  Those are not police patrols, they are BMA Tessakit officers and they are not armed.

Exactly!  They are not the police, aka BIB.

I know, that's what I said!