‘Deadly dumplings’ reveal salmonella, cops call in vendor

snoop1130

‘Deadly dumplings’ reveal salmonella, cops call in vendor

By The Nation

800_bddb22a1c27a5bc.jpg

The plot thickened yesterday in the case of the “deadly dumplings” suspected of killing one person and sickening nearly 20 more in Samut Prakan earlier this month. Health officials investigating the shop where the dumpling vendor said she bought her wares found that it did not open on the day she said she had purchased the dumplings. Meanwhile, the dumplings from the stall that tested positive for bacteria were made of pork, but the shop identified by the vendor is run by Muslims and makes only chicken dumplings.

Prakit Wongprasert, chief of Disease Control in Samut Prakan, revealed today (May 25) that a sample of dumpling bought by the victims had tested positive for salmonella bacteria, which causes diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and physical exhaustion. Among those suffering the same symptoms after eating dumplings from the stall on May 8 was Thanu Changphuprangam, 66, who then died from severe hydration and shock.

Prakit pointed out that bacteria could grow quickly in food that was kept for a long time, saying that dumplings spoil easily. He added that medical investigators had to wait for results of tests on other victims before they could identify either the pork or the chicken as the source of the food poisoning.

Police investigators at Bang Sao Thong police station have interrogated the other victims and eight witnesses, as well summoning the dumpling vendor to give more details about the case. The vendor has not yet responded to the summons.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388478

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-25

Maybe she bought them days before, I'm sure they were not adequately refrigerated.

I heard on the grapevine that since the shutdown of the economy some food sellers are not able to sell all their food each day, you think they throw it away or just keep it for the next day?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

thai truth

That's called Thai Logic.  The owners were not Muslim on the day I bought them, I swear on my mothers fathers grandfathers brothers sisters grave stone.....wait they were not pork when I bought them they were shrimp.  Someone stole my Shrimp dumplings and gave me the bad pork ones, yes that's it that's the ticket....  

• Like 1

So 8f the shop she buys her dumplings from were not open the day she bought them.. And normally she buys chicken being Muslim.. Perhaps she decided it was better to sell something even pork and bought them at a different place. Thinking customers would not notice that pork was inside. Until she got caught because they had salmonella and hurt some people. 

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The plot thickened yesterday in the case of the “deadly dumplings” suspected of killing one person and sickening nearly 20 more in Samut Prakan earlier this month. Health officials investigating the shop where the dumpling vendor said she bought her wares found that it did not open on the day she said she had purchased the dumplings. Meanwhile, the dumplings from the stall that tested positive for bacteria were made of pork, but the shop identified by the vendor is run by Muslims and makes only chicken dumplings.

But but but but.... 

Although usually fresh I have had some dodgy dim sum in the past but lucky never to have had food poisoning from them. You never know, especially late in the day/evening, how long the top layer has been there. And with the steam you cannot tell by eye if it has been revived or reheated. You also need to be much more wary of street or market food in the hotter and more humid weather.

22 hours ago, ukrules said:

Maybe she bought them days before, I'm sure they were not adequately refrigerated.

I heard on the grapevine that since the shutdown of the economy some food sellers are not able to sell all their food each day, you think they throw it away or just keep it for the next day?

Yep Keep for next day sale. Not only in Thailand .I have see it happen in service stations in Aus, what's left over in the Bain marie . warmed up Next day. One is suppose to keep food in the Bain marie at least at 65 C for 2 Hrs. After that it must be Discarded .(Health and Safety in Aus).

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 10:17 PM, thesetat2013 said:

normally she buys chicken being Muslim

There is no mention of the vendor being Muslim only the store she allegedly purchased the products from.  Neither is it possible to imply that she normally buys chicken and not pork.

'nuf sed.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:20 PM, hotchilli said:

Meanwhile, the dumplings from the stall that tested positive for bacteria were made of pork, but the shop identified by the vendor is run by Muslims and makes only chicken dumplings.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:20 PM, hotchilli said:

But but but but...

You must have been binging on Little Britain since the striking of the virus.

'nuf sed