Swimming pools ‘not a Covid-19 risk’ if properly chlorinated

snoop1130

800_5f24470a003d598.jpg

Photo credit: PxHere

Chlorine in swimming pools kills Covid-19, but swimmers could still catch the virus from each other, a senior health official warned today (May 25).

Dr Thanarak Palipat, deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department, was responding to questions about the risks of swimming now that pools have been permitted to reopen after lockdown restrictions were relaxed.

The most important thing for swimmers to remember is to keep their distance from others, he said. Therefore the pool should not be too crowded.

He advised pool users and operators to limit the number of people using the pool at one time, so that social distancing could be maintained in the water.

He added that proper pool maintenance, with chlorine kept at the standard level, was an effective disinfectant against the coronavirus. However, swimmers still faced a very small risk of getting infected with Covid-19 via airborne droplets from the mouth or nose of an infected pool user.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388479

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-25

• Like 1

Well this is interesting. Fairly sure the empty heads said no pools because you cant wear masks. This has logic to it it.

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This doesn't.

I hear the dirty farang p i s s in the pool alot...  better to keep them out...

Seriously, many pools aren't treated consistently...  Chemicals cost baht!!!  

Edited by Saddic
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The ban on swimming pools was always one of the more stupid regulations. One of the safest places to be, but Thai scientific education being what it is, not realized.

Any pool with a measurable Free Available Chlorine ( FAC ) is a death sentence to bacteria.

Basic physical chemistry says the chemical reaction between a gas or liquid and a solid becomes more efficient as the physical size of the solid decreases.

The average bacterium is 1000 - 2000 nanometers in diameter. Coronavirus is 125 nanometers.

IDIOTS.

Why idiots? It is correct what the article says. The people need to keep social distancing. In reality nobody cares and this of course without any masks. If someone with Corona sneezes at you in the pool all the chlorine is useless. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

How about the salty oceans, which should be a bit like chlorine in the pools, I think the

closing of the beaches was a stupid action as well as the closing of the pools.

I guess the bars can be left closed as the local tourists are not big drinkers.

Good luck on your reopening Thailand.

Geezer

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

Why idiots? It is correct what the article says. The people need to keep social distancing. In reality nobody cares and this of course without any masks. If someone with Corona sneezes at you in the pool all the chlorine is useless. 

The question of chlorine in the pool is not the point. You are simply not going to get happy children playing in a swimming pool to self-isolate.

5 hours ago, Oldie said:

I realize it is time to stop teaching a few kids swimming in my hotel pool. Yesterday having fun with 4 kids and a ball in between us. They love it so much and me too at 75 years. They never played an organized game before, standing in a position waiting for the ball of plastic football size. Girls very centered, waiting for the ball and the boys a bit restless. One hour of pure fun 4m apart but no more swimming lessons here.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:19 PM, twocatsmac said:

Too much coughing, spitting and spluttering going on in most pools but it should be the decision of the swimmers/splutterers.

The reason chlorine is put in the water. The chlorine gas raising from the water will kill any air born germs. 

On 5/25/2020 at 8:19 PM, twocatsmac said:

Too much coughing, spitting and spluttering going on in most pools but it should be the decision of the swimmers/splutterers.

No problem, the chlorine gas rising out of the water will kill air born germs.