'What planet are they on?' No respite for UK's Johnson and aide

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

More likely win him an oscar.

When did he develop a stammer? Couldn't make eye contact with anyone. Stuck with the prepared script. Failed to answer questions.

He is not a public speaker, but in the light of that he gave a well account of himself. I don't know if he developed a stammer as that is probably the first televised public interview he has given and it is not very nice to mention somebody that stammers, it is not a pleasant condition to have.

What were the questions he failed to answer?

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I greatly admire the British press.

Because they always pursue the truth, relentlessly and in the end, in the UK press, the truth comes out.

I don't know why this is so, why the British have this but France, Germany, Italy, Spain, do not, but the British press is, to me, the best in the world.

You see it right across the board, it was not just Paxton, Snow, it's almost everyone, politicians never get an easy ride, they always get a robust and hard ride. The papers tell you every detail. As they should. Not so in Europe or Asia.

But also, while Cummings looked like a shy, scared rabbit, he did have the courage to take questions. Perhaps he had no other choice. But it's to his credit that he allowed questions and faced the press. 

Now people can make their own mind up. It looks like rules about lockdown will generally be ignored going forward, as the SAGE adviser said, people adhere to them not for themselves but out of a feeling of shared responsibility. Cummings claiming special priveleges will destroy this sense of 'being in it together'. And clearly the UK never was, scientific advisers, government advisers ignored the rules. And that's just those that got caught. The British public is not stupid, they won't sacrifice for people who don't do the same for them.

I 'liked' your post because you made some very good points. I don't share your love of the British Press (or any other for that matter). For too many years sensationalism has driven the actions of the press and there is always an angle to any story - the press are polarised and I rarely see 'balanced reporting' of an event. Politicising Coronavirus is abhorrent. 

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

The media was doing its job. They have to find out the truth in situations like this.

Cummings is very well paid, has a great pension and never has to worry about a restaurant table, a little media scrutiny is an accepted price for the fame and money.

The guidelines always were a nonesense. But Cummings helped to draft them.

Surely if he himself breaches those guidelines it is understandable there is media interest in this.

My only disagreement with you is that it goes beyond "interest"

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I 'liked' your post because you made some very good points. I don't share your love of the British Press (or any other for that matter). For too many years sensationalism has driven the actions of the press and there is always an angle to any story - the press are polarised and I rarely see 'balanced reporting' of an event. Politicising Coronavirus is abhorrent. 

The thing about sensationalism and party camps, and yes the press are polarised it's true, is that, in the UK at least, this seems to balance out. I think the press should be like that. It should be tough, and pursue in all detail. A little entertainment is okay as well. But you also see unbelievably sharp and intelligent analysis from the UK press, both from the Telegraph, Daily mail, and from the Guardian and Spectator, from the Independent.

Do I think some of the questions put to Cummings were stupid? Of course I do. That woman going on about did you bend the rules, yes it was a bit silly, polarised too, and yes, better questions could have been asked, like when the second guy tried to nail him down on 'did you go anywhere else'.

But overall, the British press did its job, it pursued until the truth came out. Do you think Cummings would have told the truth without a strong British press pursuing him and the prime minister? I don't think so. This story would never have seen the light of day in Germany.

I also think the media critique had a great effect on illucidating the weaknesses of scientific advice in the UK. 

The British press has served the British public very well indeed. I think it is one of the best things about Britain and it is the gold standard the European press should adhere to. Overall the European press is weak, meek and deferential by comparison.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

My only disagreement with you is that it goes beyond "interest"

Well, yes, that is the case, it is a frenzied, partisan, pursuit of a very robust nature.

Perhaps only that is why the truth comes out. 

Perhaps that is why the British press is so good. 

The journalists work like British footballers play football, wild and passionate. In journalism it works. 

Penalties, not so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, vogie said:

He is not a public speaker, but in the light of that he gave a well account of himself. I don't know if he developed a stammer as that is probably the first televised public interview he has given and it is not very nice to mention somebody that stammers, it is not a pleasant condition to have.

What were the questions he failed to answer?

He does not have a stammer. The condition was faked. Along with the fairy tale script he was reading.

OK here are a few questions I would want answers too. Why could he not self isolate at home? He has family and friends in London. He is also Johnsons chief advisor. If he phones people stuff will get done for him. So why did he not do that?

Why does his account and his wifes account of events differ? He claims his son was with other family members. She claims their son was giving Cummings drinks like a real little trooper. So she is admitting the kid was with them.

How many times did they stop on the journey north to Durham? 

How many times did he leave the house when he was supposed to be isolated and where did he go?

Durham police should be studying CCTV footage to ascertain the truth behind that. 

Why did he drive with impaired eyesight? Its like someone drunk thinking I will drive 30 miles to see if I am sober enough to drive 250 miles?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

He does not have a stammer. The condition was faked. Along with the fairy tale script he was reading.

OK here are a few questions I would want answers too. Why could he not self isolate at home? He has family and friends in London. He is also Johnsons chief advisor. If he phones people stuff will get done for him. So why did he not do that?

Why does his account and his wifes account of events differ? He claims his son was with other family members. She claims their son was giving Cummings drinks like a real little trooper. So she is admitting the kid was with them.

How many times did they stop on the journey north to Durham? 

How many times did he leave the house when he was supposed to be isolated and where did he go?

Durham police should be studying CCTV footage to ascertain the truth behind that. 

Why did he drive with impaired eyesight? Its like someone drunk thinking I will drive 30 miles to see if I am sober enough to drive 250 miles?

I see now, you are actually asking why didn't the journalists ask those questions, he answered all the questions put to him last night, if you want to make your own questions up that is entirely up to you. Dom can only answer questions that has been put to him.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

More likely win him an oscar.

When did he develop a stammer? Couldn't make eye contact with anyone. Stuck with the prepared script. Failed to answer questions.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The media was doing its job. They have to find out the truth in situations like this.

Cummings is very well paid, has a great pension and never has to worry about a restaurant table, a little media scrutiny is an accepted price for the fame and money.

The guidelines always were a nonesense. But Cummings helped to draft them.

Surely if he himself breaches those guidelines it is understandable there is media interest in this.

No, the media is not doing it's job, it is trying to hound him out of his position since the London Metropolitan mainstream media is predominantly Remain Left wing and he is a Tory Brexiteer.

They know he was the architect of Brexit and also of the Tory landslide victory. They know the government will be weaker without him so they are trying to remove him. It is politically motivated and is essentially trial by media, with them acting as judge, jury and executioner.

It is not the job of the media to force individuals out of their jobs because they are of a different political persuasion to the organizations that they work for.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, vogie said:

I see now, you are actually asking why didn't the journalists ask those questions, he answered all the questions put to him last night, if you want to make your own questions up that is entirely up to you. Dom can only answer questions that has been put to him.

OK what about the other points I raised?

Avoiding them?

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

OK what about the other points I raised?

Avoiding them?

What other "points" would they be, if you are referring to his "faked stammer" I don't have a Phd in speech therapy so cannot help you there, I doubt that you have one too. Maybe it has something to do with the masses of TV cameras there and being exposed to millions of viewers, would that not make someone who is not used to public speaking a little nervous, I know it would me.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

No, the media is not doing it's job, it is trying to hound him out of his position since the London Metropolitan mainstream media is predominantly Remain Left wing and he is a Tory Brexiteer.

They know he was the architect of Brexit and also of the Tory landslide victory. They know the government will be weaker without him so they are trying to remove him. It is politically motivated and is essentially trial by media, with them acting as judge, jury and executioner.

It is not the job of the media to force individuals out of their jobs because they are of a different political persuasion to the organizations that they work for.

One does not exclude the other.

It may well be that the great animosity towards Cummings is due to his prominent role in the Brexiteer government. However, that animosity has succeeded in forcing Cummings and BJ to tell the truth. Do you think Cummings would have made a statement like this if the press had not hounded him and BJ? I don't think so.

There was some political motivation, sure, but also there was a real riddle which the press had to get to the bottom of. They did.

The truth came out. The press did its job. And Cummings did his job, he faced the press, disclosed facts, he was scared as a rabbit, who wouldn't be in his shoes, but he had the courage to face the press questions, he did. He was polite in the face of, yes, some highly emotional and partisan questioning.

I don't see the problem here. No harm was done. The press did its job, the truth got out. Cummings is still alive, he's got his job. He's actually managed to engage with the public and become a bit more human.

He's helped to give the death thrust in the heart of lockdown, freedom beckons. Everyone's a winner, Dell.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

From the UK Government’s published rules:

Do not leave home if you or anyone in your household has symptoms.”

What’s not to understand?!

Well, that's not quite the full picture, because when the UK published its guidelines it allowed for an exception, which was "reasonable excuse".

It did not define "reasonable excuse".

Whether Cummings broke the actual guidelines depends on how "reasonable excuse" is defined.

Cummings made the case that his situation was "reasonable excuse". 

Other have argued that only risk to life would have been reasonable excuse. 

It's not clear, because the UK government did not publish clear guidelines.

Did Cummings have reasonable excuse? One can argue it to death. Did he break lockdown? He certainly did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Of course, as often the real situation doesn't reflect what those with a politically motivated agenda would like it to be. 

Well you asked for the "real situation" before, you asked if he had been at Barnard Castle, and if he had that he should go.

Now Cummings has admitted he was at Barnard Castle, do you still feel he has to go?