'What planet are they on?' No respite for UK's Johnson and aide

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Well you asked for the "real situation" before, you asked if he had been at Barnard Castle, and if he had that he should go.

Now Cummings has admitted he was at Barnard Castle, do you still feel he has to go?

Yes. Either he previously lied about that, or the PM did. 

Deliberately lying is a whole different ball game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Personally, i'd do whatever it takes to protect my child. A neighbour of mine in the UK has a daughter, a single parent with 3 toddlers, who couldn't charge her electric vehicle the cable was broken. My neighbour had a spare and drove a round trip of 90 miles to give it to her daughter through the kitchen window. 

My guess is there are millions of people in the UK in the past couple of months who had to make similar choices

A perfectly reasonable reason, covered in the rules.

Just now, evadgib said:

He was in the town rather than the medieval fortification that gave it it's name. This somewhat changes the context IMO although not enough to appease the professionally outraged.

That only makes the offence worse.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

He was also lying about his reason for going there and having a stroll by the riverside.

Lying cannot be accepted, and he must go.

And then you agree, so must the 4 Labour MP's who broke the rules very clearly?

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I posted the BBC's explanation of the rules covering reasonable excuses. It lists examples but stresses the list is not exhaustive.

As an example, Scotland's former chief medical officer made two trips, offered no reasonable excuses, and didn't self quarantine on either, as required. Even then her boss said at first she needn't resign but quickly changed her mind.

There are 4 Labour MP's who broke the rules:

1. MP Stephen Kinnock, a shadow Minister, drove hundreds of miles, with his wife, a former PM of Denmark, to see his elderly parents during lockdown. His local police force shamed him.

2. MP Kevan Jones, attended a constituents’ birthday party.

3.MP Tahir Ali attended a funeral in his constituency as one of 100 mourners at the start of April.

4. Labour’s Health Secretary in Wales, Vaughn Gething, had a picnic with his family in a park at a time when the Welsh Government he sits on explicitly said “No picnics in the park.”

None of the above have been pursued by the press. None have apologized or shown any remorse. Sir Keir Starmer, Labour Leader, has not comments on them, rebuked them or suggested they resign. Even though they are far more accountable to the public as elected servants for their behavior.

If Cummings deliberately lied about breaking the quarantine when he was in Durham, he should go. 

But these 4 Labour politicians, who clearly think they can do as they please, must also be made to go.

The law, rules, guidelines and acceptable behavior codes must apply to all equally. And not selectively based on their political affiliations. 

Good point.

Cummings was not elected to be a representative of the people. Members of Parliament are.

18 minutes ago, evadgib said:

He was in the town rather than the medieval fortification that gave it it's name. This somewhat changes the context IMO although not enough to appease the professionally outraged.

I agree.

If that is a true account, it does present different circumstances.

I suspect Cummings told the truth on that, because he admitted he saw one person, if he had gone on a full on leisure trip more than one person would have seen him.

10 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

That only makes the offence worse.

Legally it remains far from clear whether any has occurred. It's a non-story. There has probably been a few porkies but there's no way this should have distracted HMG to the point where they're hosting a version of 'Mastermind' in the back garden of No 10.

image.jpeg.99bd97fc9fffb5e23d2443d2308cf949.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

It was specifically stated that he strictly observed the 14 days quarantine with relatives leaving provisions at the door. 

If he now changes the story, his credibility has gone, he lied and he must no go.

Agreed, but I cannot see how HMG could get rid of him without appearing to have succumbed to MSMs mob-rule.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Those who felt that the government instructions applied to them?

...so your daughter, a single parent with 3 small children needs help and you as a parent refuse on the grounds you can't drive 90 miles with a slight temperature and a cough? What parent is going to refuse?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vogie said:

For once would it be possible for you to reply to a post without your usual patronization.

This may be a huge challenge, but try to stay even remotely in touch with reality.

You do read newspapers/etc don't you?

Why are your posts all written in the style of Citizen Smith and why all this anger all the time.

Fair enough. I should have said, "Please get your facts right". I realise that now the LP have a real leader with a brain, he is giving Boris a tough time. This has inspired numerous untrue or truth twisting attacks on him from the increasingly worried Tory tabloids, and the `Torygraph' who can see the writing on the distant wall.  Does this make me angry, yes indeed it does. I can think of times when I have defended Tory politicians when the press has been dishonest about them. Truth is important unless we want to live in a Trumpian world. 

Citizen Smith? Orson Wells I think, lost on me, I never watched it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Agreed, but I cannot see how HMG could get rid of him without appearing to have succumbed to MSMs mob-rule.

Bulls Testicles, he should have gracefully gone ages ago
Just like the two before him
these are called precedents
which dont appear to matter to Cummings or those that went before him like A. Campbell Or P.Mandellson from Blairs Era unelected svengalis 
There should be a noticeon the door of No 10
Kindly leave your svengalis at the door

19 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Presumably he's got some dirt on Boris he won't hesitate to use if need be, looks the type.

We can only hope this is true

We Hope 
We pray
WE dance naked around campfires invoking ancient deities
We ask the 8 Ball

Please let it be so 

17 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

allegedly took his wife to Barnhard castle...

No longer allegedly and with his 4 year old kid to test his eyesight. Didn't know that Dom sideline as a comedian - he should do  a Jeffery Archer and write fiction when he soon retires from the fray. ! You really couldn't make this stuff but he just did !

• Like 1