Russia seeks 18-year jail term for ex-U.S. Marine accused of spying

snoop1130

Russia seeks 18-year jail term for ex-U.S. Marine accused of spying

bfh.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Former U.S. Marine Paul Whelan, who was detained and accused of espionage, stands inside a defendants' cage during a court hearing on extending his pre-trial detention, in Moscow, Russia October 24, 2019. REUTERS/Tatyana Makeyeva/File Photo

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian prosecutors asked a court on Monday to sentence former U.S. Marine Paul Whelan, who is on trial accused of spying for the United States, to 18 years in a maximum security prison, his lawyer said.

Whelan, a U.S. national who also holds British, Canadian and Irish passports, was detained in December 2018. He says he was set up in a sting and has pleaded not guilty to the charge.

His trial, which began on March 23, has been closed to the public as its content broaches classified information.

The court will announce its verdict on June 15, Whelan’s lawyer Vladimir Zherebenkov said after Monday’s hearing.

U.S. authorities have called the charges against Whelan spurious have called on Russia to release him, describing the case as a “significant obstacle” to improving bilateral ties.

Whelan, who turned 50 in custody this year, has used his appearances at hearings to allege he has been ill-treated by prison guards and been denied medical attention.

Russian authorities have accused him of faking health problems to draw attention to his case.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-25

Atrocious. Why would the UK, Canada and Ireland naturalize this American. It should be an indictable crime for any government official outside the US to offer citizenship to an American.

5 hours ago, JulesMad said:

4 passports is suspicious... No info on background/work is given...

The usual excuses are given "set up in a sting"; that is exactly what I would say if I would get caught as a spy ????

I have three passports, am I a spy? The guy was born in Canada with UK parents, 'interesting' background!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Whelan_(security_director)

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

I have three passports, am I a spy? The guy was born in Canada with UK parents, 'interesting' background!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Whelan_(security_director)

My second cousins can have 4 passports, nothing suspicious.

They have British & American parents, were born in New Zealand and are naturalised Australian.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RadicalVestor said:

He took the usb drive, But thought it was only wedding photos? Yeah Right!

Why is that suspicious?

"Whelan's twin brother David said Paul Whelan arrived in Moscow on December 22 to attend the wedding of a former fellow Marine at the Hotel Metropol Moscow and to assist the groom's family members on their first visit to Russia, a country Paul Whelan has visited many times."   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Whelan_(security_director)