World is going to <deleted> - where's the safest place to be?

simon43

Fiji didnt seem to get hit by the virus.

NZ is pretty much in the clear, also far out of the way from troubles, plus its a beautiful country. But take warm clothes.

Im not moving from SE asia though.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I got the same thoughts, not that much about safety. More about experiencing a new place. I will follow this topic and hope for some good input. At the moment I am in Thailand, may be too long. Or a lockdown syndrome?

37 minutes ago, orchis said:

this kind of catastrophic thinking dates back to the cold war. 

Actually it goes back to Revelations at the very least.

Millenarianism whether it be in religious intellectual or political concepts has a very long tradition in the West.

We have the "rapture" today..but the same thing,really-just John Calvin come out to play again.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

actually the pandemic has me thinking about something i swore i would never do and that is go back to the USA and buy a house.  

Good point.  My Thai wife and I were due to arrive in LOS yesterday for a holiday but cancelled hotels and rebooked flights weeks ago.  

In the meantime, I've been thinking more profoundly about where it is that I want to place myself in these uncertain times.  I'm not worried about C19 in the slightest and know that I was infected with it back in February here in the UK.  I'm more concerned with knee-jerk reactions that could potentially turn an otherwise innocuous holiday into a nightmare.  

I'm glad my wife has both British and Thai passports in case her parents need urgent assistance then at least she can travel back and forth, but I'm not going anywhere soon myself.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, PaulieAUS said:

Australia and New Zealand.

Just watch out for fires, earthquakes and volcanoes. :whistling:

As beautiful as NZ is, think the op is more of the Asia persuasion... don't think I could handle the West for the rest of my days either. Reckon Laos is a pretty good bet, if a little boring. Having said that, when the Chinese really go for it, pretty much all of SEA is going to be appropriated, no?

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

are you Caucasian?

you will be shot on sight by the Chinese soldiers.

Idaho, Montana.

I had to think long and hard before selling all my survival property and supplies in Montana.

I had that place while I was living in Los Angeles.

but in the end Thailand won out. I still have enough cash to get back to the USA and buy a small cabin. on maybe 10 acres.

assuming there will be enough warning and flights before the war begins. 

actually the pandemic has me thinking about something i swore i would never do and that is go back to the USA and buy a house.  

Sounds like you are panicking. Cabin fever, or is the toilet paper about to run out?

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

are you Caucasian?

you will be shot on sight by the Chinese soldiers.

Idaho, Montana.

I had to think long and hard before selling all my survival property and supplies in Montana.

I had that place while I was living in Los Angeles.

but in the end Thailand won out. I still have enough cash to get back to the USA and buy a small cabin. on maybe 10 acres.

assuming there will be enough warning and flights before the war begins. 

Buying a house in the USA somewhere safe and outside a big city is probably a very good idea. I would want a place in the country of my citizenship in case things go really bad. In a precarious time I like to control the parts of my life that I can.

There is going to be an exodus to the burbs soon.

20 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

The safest place to be alone is a 2 bed rundown terraced inherited house in Swindon not even buyers want to come near you the next visit will be the bin men a week Wednesday something to look forward to  ????

The Daily Mail is full of stories of people renovating their kitchens for £70.  I hope this helps you seal a deal.   

• Haha 1