Video emerges of horrific Chaiyaphum crash

webfact

Video emerges of horrific Chaiyaphum crash

By The Nation

800_44b3bbf85d261fe.jpg?v=1590398722

Days after a horrific road accident killed two people in Chaiyaphum province, a video clip of the fatal incident has surfaced. The clip, which was recorded by a security camera at the scene, shows a Chevrolet car manoeuvring to turn right on the Chaiyapoom-Sikhio road in Chatturat district.

A powerful Honda CBR-650 big bike then arrives at high speed from behind and collides with the turning car. The force of the impact causes the Chevrolet to flip over.

The 25-year-old rider of the Honda bike was killed, along with the 81-year-old Chevrolet driver. The horrific accident took place on May 22, according data in the clip.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388460

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-26

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

In most places, Thai road layout isn’t designed for anything doing more than 30mph. Seriously outdated. 

the place the accident happened likely has a speed limit of less than 50mph, this bike was doing over double that

These dangerous u-turns are the source of many accidents and the cause also usually involves someone speeding

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Especially when the driver is 81 and probably blind as a bat using the old "it'll be ok if I do it slowly" trick.

At the speed / inertia required to flip a mid-sized car, I'm sure an 18 year old, with x-ray vision, would have a hard time judging the closing speed.  

That said, in the real world, although the bike's speed was a contributing factor, the driver of the car would be judged at fault - The law is "failure to yield right of way to oncoming traffic." However, there is often a consideration as to whether there was a perceived hazard. In this case, the old guy might have an excuse.

My neighbors daughter got T-boned by a large construction truck, while attempting a U-turn. Both she, and her father, contended that it was the the truck driver's fault - "He had plenty of room to stop!"

Apparently, he didn't! 

In Thailand, everyone uses the "keep creeping into oncoming traffic until someone is forced to stop." And, in the case of a successful U-turn, once headed in the opposite direction, drive very slowly until you get your bearings straight; the cars behind you will wait. 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

At the speed / inertia required to flip a mid-sized car, I'm sure an 18 year old, with x-ray vision, would have a hard time judging the closing speed.  

That said, in the real world, although the bike's speed was a contributing factor, the driver of the car would be judged at fault - The law is "failure to yield right of way to oncoming traffic." However, there is often a consideration as to whether there was a perceived hazard. In this case, the old guy might have an excuse.

My neighbors daughter got T-boned by a large construction truck, while attempting a U-turn. Both she, and her father, contended that it was the the truck driver's fault - "He had plenty of room to stop!"

Apparently, he didn't! 

In Thailand, everyone uses the "keep creeping into oncoming traffic until someone is forced to stop." And, in the case of a successful U-turn, once headed in the opposite direction, drive very slowly until you get your bearings straight; the cars behind you will wait. 

That's the problem a lot of times, they think that if you have enough time to do an emergency stop and screech to a halt 5 metres before hitting them that it's OK to pull out on you.

No doubt the bike was speeding, but an 81 year old creeping out into oncoming traffic is a recipe for disaster, even if the bike was going half the speed it would have probably still hit it.

I renewed my licence near Chaiyaphum last year, some of the people getting licences were shocking. Old women that could barely walk, during the reactions/brake test they were accelerating with the right foot and braking with the left but they still couldn't hit the brake in time. All of them passed eventually.

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I renewed my licence near Chaiyaphum last year, some of the people getting licences were shocking. Old women that could barely walk, during the reactions/brake test they were accelerating with the right foot and braking with the left but they still couldn't hit the brake in time. All of them passed eventually.

I watched a drunk taxi driver taking the reaction test. He kept failing it, over and over. Both he, and the examiner, laughed like crazy. Finally, after the examiner collected herself, she simply checked him off and sent him to the next test. 

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

U-turns are awaiting death traps. Just one car waiting on the other lane can block their road view for those turning. This video is horrific in that the motorbike rider seemed well in excess of the speed limit and riding in the fast lane, while the Chevy driver didn't seem to take any precautions before attempting to turn.

Two fatalities too many.

While I admit U-turns are not the best method of allowing cars to change directions... they don't actually kill anyone, idiots kill themselves !

Speed kills!  And, it is very difficult to gauge the closing speed distance of a very small motor vehicle like a motorcycle approaching another motorist.  Particularly if it does not have a headlight on, then other drivers may not even "see" or notice it while scanning a roadway before attempting to negotiate a turn, from a stop, such as the victim's vehicle was apparently doing prior to impact.  Also, vehicle drivers of advanced ages are known to sometimes have diminished faculties required for safe vehicle operation.  I submit that an analysis of the video by appropriate forensic experts will determining the apparent speed of the motorcycle's deceased operator.

U Turns work okay, its the lack of most Thai drivers to judge speed that is often the issue.  As a rule, I dismiss National traits, but in this case, Thais do seem to have real problems with assessing closing speeds. 

If  I had any say in road construction here I would close 10 U turns in a row and put in a roundabout . Trouble is Thais get very confused with roundabouts as seen with the one where I live which is right in front of the police station. Saw one chap a couple of years ago come out of the police staion on his scooter then drive round the roundabout the wrong way.