In good taste: CPF to sell 1 million meals at only Bt20

webfact

In good taste: CPF to sell 1 million meals at only Bt20

By THE NATION

800_830dade54baa92d.jpg

Charoen Pokphand Foods (CPF) will sell one million ready-to-eat meals at a discounted price of Bt20 at CP Fresh Mart branches nationwide to help alleviate people’s financial burden in this Covid-19 situation, chief executive officer Prasit Boondoungprasert said on Sunday (May 24).

“Six ready-to-eat meals will be offered under the campaign – rice with chicken breast in spicy sauce, rice with roasted chicken, rice with spicy chicken, fried rice with Korean-style roasted chicken, rice with garlic and liver and rice with omlette. One million meals will be sold at only Bt20 at 150 CP Fresh Mart branches nationwide,” he said.

“Customers who buy five meals at a time will get a Bt5 discount when paid with the TrueWallet mobile application, which is a safer alternative to cash payments under social distancing practices,” Prasit said.

The company has also organised a CPF Food Truck campaign to deliver free meals to low-income earners in Bangkok every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

“All free meals are microwaved to a safe temperature to promote healthy eating,” Prasit added. “Furthermore, the company has also delivered one million coupons to village health volunteers nationwide to buy consumer products at discounted prices at all CP Fresh Mart branches.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388435

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-26

• Like 1

CP never do anything unless there is money in it for them, this is just a publicity stunt.

Think about the restaurant owner and staff in Phuket giving out free meals.

Edited by colinneil
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Why be so thankless you say, well CP never do anything for anybody except for themselves.

The hundreds of billions they have had off people here, means giving away free meals would not even dent their massive profit margins.

Many people me and my wife included have given away free food to help those with no income.

Many restauranters have given away hundreds, or in some cases thousands of free meals.

I have from my wheelchair milled some of our own rice, and my wife has passed it out to some poor people.

What have you done? Besides having a go at me, answer would probably be absolutely nothing.

Sorry to 'rock your boat'... I guess I wasted my time......... Bless you and your wife for the rice........ I have a number of my favorite charities in Thailand and spend much more (Cash) Than rice money with my donations in Thailand.... But I wish you much luck and happiness in you helping the locals  (Please continue with your help).... Thai people, especially the ones we love in Issan, need what ever help is afforded to them.... SURELY their Government doesn't take care of them.......

Whatever good CP did with their 20 baht meals (almost FREE) Is still a 'charitable move' as I see it...... This forum sometime favors/invites many 'negative' replies from a few who are just wanting to get one more 'reply' to their credit (and a few more 'LIKES'....... Sorry to rock your boat (or Wheelchair) 

• Like 2

Opening the doors and proclaiming "Free food!" would result in a stampede, and many unscrupulous people scooping it into enormous bags and baskets. As they've already been doing with the free food stations that've been set up on street corners.

Unfortunately the honor system isn't good enough. Thus Mr. CP must set some sort of price, to temper the unbridled demand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kensawadee said:

Why be so 'thankless'????????????? They are doing a million of these meals!!!!!!!!!!!!   and  I am ready to believe the meals cost to manufacture more than that............ Just be grateful that you don't need this charity and can sit in your 'air conditioned room in your wheel chair and write stuff like this........ No 'sad' ot 'thanks' from me.............

More greatful that a foreign country provided refuge to a migrant who could not make it in his homeland or could not retire in his home land and travelled 10,000 miles to probabaly find a bride and a marriage visa also. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Like 1

Maybe its time to bring back food coupons for a while, so that Thai people can at least get the basic necessities on a coupon system. Stabilize food and shelter and give people time to recover economically. Or have something like the food banks, where resources can be metered out in a more rationed but fair basis.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

And probably will still make an earn out of it as CP owns everything that will be going into the pack anyway including the packing plant...

If CP didnt make money from this, they would not be doing it.

• Thanks 1

I think its very impressive........I really don't think we should knock it....OK so they get some free press, any other company can also---but their not stepping up are they......

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 12:06 PM, kensawadee said:

Where did you come up with that price foir the meal???????????????? 

Yes, CP is big business and big money makers....... But that doesn't mean that they can't have a 'generous' side as well......

They have a very profitable business for sure, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that they can be charitable as well.....

If you want to criticise... GO FOR the ones that buy many of these meals for 20 baht and then sell them for 80 bant on the street......

There is a high probability that there will be two sides to what seems a  nice story.

I agree that CPF is a business and does good legitimate business. Unfortunately unless their "charitable" supply of 1 million cheap  meals are 'targeted" to those who are in most genuine need then it is almost inevitable there will be some who will take advantage. That is unless CPF has already set some sort of criteria with Fresh Mart ? But also giving a further discount for bulk buys seems contradictory.