Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Pandemic May Split Thailand’s Ruling Coalition, Says Opposition

Recommended Posts

Pandemic May Split Thailand’s Ruling Coalition, Says Opposition

By Randy Thanthong-Knight

 

pm.jpg

Prayuth Chan-Ocha/Photographer: Brent Lewin/Bloomberg

 

-- Pheu Thai party says the government was too slow to act

-- Anti-government protests could flare once emergency ends

 

Thailand’s ruling coalition is at risk of fracturing amid infighting stoked in part by criticism of its response to the Covid-19 induced economic crash, according to the main opposition party.

 

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha’s administration acted too slowly and lacked a vision for how to fight the fallout, said Sompong Amornvivat, leader of the Pheu Thai party. The next largest opposition party, Move Forward, signaled anti-government protests are likely once a state of emergency ends.

 

“We’ve seen the weakness in the coalition,” Sompong said in an interview May 22, citing tension between some of the more than a dozen parties in the bloc. “We’ve seen signs of cracks. A people’s movement, and the stability of the government, are the things to watch for.”

 

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-24/pandemic-may-split-thailand-s-ruling-coalition-says-opposition

 

-- Bloomberg 2020 05-26

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simply the countdown to another coup if the situation gets more out of hand as the govt are forced to relax the controls.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Simply the countdown to another coup if the situation gets more out of hand as the govt are forced to relax the controls.

 IMHO this could be true, but with the current PM again the PM, by order ....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha’s administration acted too slowly and lacked a vision for how to fight the fallout, said Sompong Amornvivat, leader of the Pheu Thai party. The next largest opposition party, Move Forward, signaled anti-government protests are likely once a state of emergency ends.

Hence the extension for another month... 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phantomfiddler said:

It would be nice if something positive emerged from this train wreck. Events have shown that absolute power corrupts absolutely, and my hope is the the Future Forward Party can somehow overcome the immense power structure in place who,s main function is to prevent or destroy any party that threatens their tenure 😞

 

Future Forward Party is no longer a party, has no future and won't be going forward....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Opposition? 

Edited by Venom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The title of this article is wrong. It should be 'Opposition, Hopes Abound Pandemic Will Split Thailand's Ruling Coalition.'

 

And it looks like more than a few of you do too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Future Forward Party is no longer a party, has no future and won't be going forward....

Most members that can still hold office have joined/started the Move Forward Party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Events have shown that absolute power corrupts absolutely,

One need only to look back at the 'reign' of Taksin Shinawatra. He was a visionary and a good leader. Then he and his cronies lost their way, starting with death of the fathers and elder sons in the back of a truck whose only real crime was protesting a gas terminal/pipeline in the South and ending with throwing out the winning bid for land on Ratchadapisik, which was eventual awarded to his wife.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

One need only to look back at the 'reign' of Taksin Shinawatra. He was a visionary and a good leader. Then he and his cronies lost their way, starting with death of the fathers and elder sons in the back of a truck whose only real crime was protesting a gas terminal/pipeline in the South and ending with throwing out the winning bid for land on Ratchadapisik, which was eventual awarded to his wife.

Taksin is a criminal, and as corrupt as they come.  He didn't lose his way, he just acted to type. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Thailand said:

Simply the countdown to another coup if the situation gets more out of hand as the govt are forced to relax the controls.

 

Yes , and with gung ho brain dead Apirat just itching to show his metal , any change in government is likely to be for the worse rather than the better. They have come too far to worry about getting wet feet ( from blood ) now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Taksin is a criminal, and as corrupt as they come.  He didn't lose his way, he just acted to type. 

But still better than the current regime

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...