How Many Times do you Shower per Week? Do you just mindlessly STAND there below the showerhead….? Or, do you DO something Useful with these moments?

7 hours ago, Saltire said:

Every time I take a shower I wish I had a bath tub (AND a shower to rinse).

Nothing like a nice bath ,i made sure we had one in the en suite even if my wife would only shower ,my daughter in England is the same always showered even when younger,i always remember when they were building her house she had a large bath instaled in the main bathroom and i asked why did she bother as they never would use it ,her reply"because i knew you would bloody complain when your here if you couldnt have a bath" good girl she is ,taught her well????

Speaking of bathing in tubs of water, as some have thoughtfully commented above, their comments have jogged my memory about one of the most wonderful experiences in my life.

When I was a young lad of about 18, I traveled to Tokyo.

It was there, around the year 1971, that I took my first communal bath.

I took this bath with Real Men at the Tokyo YMCA.

There was no shortage of hot water.

At my age, and knowing nothing about Asian culture or even Japanese culture, I did not know how to take a bath the Japanese way.

But it was not difficult.

Back in 1971, what we did was to first take off our clothes and put them in bins.

Then, we all sat down in a long row on short wooden stools in front of spigots and hoses with shower-head nozzles on the end.

You just squatted down and soaped up and then rinsed off as quickly as possible.

After this, then you walked into another room with a giant tub of boiling water.

You had a tiny white towel to cover your private parts.

Or, if you got tired of covering your privates, then you could just drape the wet towel over the top of your head, probably to protect your anonymity.

Then, you slowly immersed yourself in the boiling water and soaked for as long as you wanted.

After that, you returned to your room at the Tokyo YMCA.

For me, it was an experience that I have not yet forgotten, so many years later.

These days, I guess you cannot get such a great experience no matter how much you might pay.

The Japan of 1971 is long gone.

But my memory of bathing with Real Men survives.

I am completely grateful.