WHO pauses trial of hydroxychloroquine in COVID-19 patients due to safety concerns

webfact

3 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Yes the risks are well known. Ten years ago I was about to depart on a backpacking trip around SE Asia. I saw my GP regarding possible vaccinations for the trip. I mentioned hydroxychloroquine to him for a malaria preventative. He hit the roof saying that I would be in more danger from the hydroxychloroquine than malaria. Refused me a prescription point blank.

Ten years ago hydroxychloroquine was not being used a a malaria prevention in SEA. Since Plasmodium falciparium is resistant this drug is not in use. Malaria is no longer a problem in Thailand except in mountainous border areas, your physician was wise to not prescribe. BTbe W seeing a ID physician and travel me clinic would better than seeing a GP for tropical disease advice.

• Thanks 1

Let's not forget that even with these and other warnings on hydroxychlorlquine  President Trump's VA, has been doing live testing with our captive veteran population in VA Hospitals:

VA.png.cef219a0016133b575d80e4a8c6fc12e.png

source: https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2020/04/29/va-defends-use-of-unproven-malaria-drug-on-veterans-for-coronavirus/

Or maybe this headline is more impressive, juxtaposed with the WHO announcement :

headline.png.c4b9316e56215f6b9e2e8d73d7123a44.png

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, simple1 said:

One would assume the monies will be channelled / leveraged by WHO in coordination with China.

Why would you assume that? There is no evidence or wording that states they have any inclination to do any such thing. Another falsity is that you said China is funding double what the US was, also fake news. 

50 million is paltry compared to the 400 million the US contributes. 

12 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Why trump's funding freeze for WHO benefits nobody 

Benefits the American taxpayer, and the information they get is global and open anyway so who cares where the money comes from. Once they became Chinas lapdog they made their bed, and now they have to sleep in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Recent finding suggest it might not be effective in acute patients but may help prevent the virus in early stages. I could explain more but it's beyond the scope of this forum, But, it could help prevent infections or lessen them in early stages.

If you are interested Mahidol University has launched a very large multi national double blind study. To do just that.  

There are indications it could lessen infections in early stages, frequent testing is required for that which is an issue in many countries. 

Afaik no indications it could help to prevent infections, looking forward to links regarding that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

There are indications it could lessen infections in early stages, frequent testing is required for that which is an issue in many countries. 

Afaik no indications it could help to prevent infections, looking forward to links regarding that.

The study was just started so you'll have to wait. What alternative do you have? Tell the NHS they need tour advice.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, checkered flag said:

The study was just started so you'll have to wait. What alternative do you have? Tell the NHS they need tour advice.

You claim there are indications, looking forward to a link about the indications. Maybe a link to the recently started study will do.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Plasmodium Knowelsi is commonly found in SE Asia and is the primary cause of malaria. Found below 1500ft not in mountainous areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasmodium_knowlesi

"Plasmodium knowlesi is a parasite that causes malaria in humans and other primates. It is found throughout Southeast Asia, and is the most common cause of human malaria in Malaysia."

"chloroquine alone could be effective treatments for uncomplicated P. knowlesi malaria.[15] There is no evidence of P. knowlesi developing resistance to current antimalarials"

Plasmodium knowlesi is uncommon in humans. It is a primate malaria. Whereas Plasmodium falciparium is a sometime fatal for in humans. In Thailand it can be found seasonally in bamboo forest along the borders. Thailand has had a long effective program of malaria eradication. 

• Thanks 1