Holyfield open to third Tyson fight for charity

Holyfield open to third Tyson fight for charity

2020-05-25T191802Z_1_LYNXMPEG4O1BG_RTROPTP_4_BOXING-USA-HOLYFIELD.JPG

FILE PHOTO: WBA Heavyweight Champion Evander Holyfield (R) connects to the jaw of challenger Mike Tyson in the first round of their title fight June 28, 1997. Evander Holyfied retained his World Boxing Association heavyweight title on Saturday night when Mike Tyson was disqualified for biting Holyfield twice in the third round./File Photo

(Reuters) - Former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield has said he is open to facing one-time rival Mike Tyson in a trilogy fight for charity on the condition that Tyson asks for the bout to be set up.

Tyson, 53, fought two epic bouts with Holyfield, 57, during their professional careers, including their controversial 1997 encounter in which Tyson bit off a chunk of Holyfield's ear.

'Iron Mike' had released several training videos in recent weeks fuelling speculation he could be returning to the ring, while Holyfield announced his return for a charity bout on Instagram earlier this month.

"If I ask him it's almost like me being a bully saying I want to go against somebody I've beaten twice," Holyfield told the BBC. "I don't want pressure on me that 'you just want to fight Mike because you know you can beat him'.

"If he hits me I'm going to hit back. I'm going to be 58, he'll be 54, you talk about being in good health and doing things the proper way that respects it. I don't have no problem with it."

Tyson, the first heavyweight to hold the WBA, WBC and IBF titles, retired after a loss to Kevin McBride in 2005, while Holyfield called time on his career nine years later.

If they do return, they will be following in the footsteps of Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao in coming out of retirement for an exhibition fight.

(Reporting by Arvind Sriram in Bengaluru, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-26

• Haha 1

Charity my eye, not a mention in the article about charity...and Tyson trained to be a UFC fighter for charity too? money is running low and these two old geezers looking to milk that cow one more (last) time...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Charity my eye, not a mention in the article about charity...and Tyson trained to be a UFC fighter for charity too? money is running low and these two old geezers looking to milk that cow one more (last) time...

Yep, spot on! Today you are right on the money, so to say. Tyson might have made close to 700 million dollar during his career, but are now believed only to be left with a measly 3 million dollars. Even as bad for Evander that have been loosing 200 million dollar and stand with only 500k left.

So, correct. These guys need this fight bad. I would say. Do not buy into it and support them with looking at the match. When people are this stupid, they should be left in the madness and misery they created.

7 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Most people in the world cannot name the current heavyweight champ.

Are you joking?

Just because you do not know the name of the current heavyweight champ(s) doesn't mean that the rest of the world do not either.

For your information, Anthony Joshua is the WBA, IBF & WBO belt holder and the linear and WBC champion is Tyson Fury.

Tyson Fury is a larger than life character and their rivalry and potential forthcoming match up has been all over the sport pages for months now.

You really would have to have no interest in boxing to not know this.

Amazing that such a small country as Ireland could produce such renowned and talented people, Tyson Fury, Marc O,Polo, to name a couple !

31 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Amazing that such a small country as Ireland could produce such renowned and talented people, Tyson Fury, Marc O,Polo, to name a couple !

Tyson Fury was born and bread in the North West of England, to Irish parents.

Do you think John F Kennedy was Irish too? 

• Thanks 1

Holyfield still has one ear to give to the cause and Tyson probably needs a free meal !

They'll play it up in the media and see if anyone is stupid enough to bite. Just like McGregor/Mayweather. They teased it for ages to see what kind of interest they could stir up (as in how much the Pay Per View might rake in) before actually scheduling that joke.

Still waiting for some boxers to sue the various Federations for concussion symptoms they want to blame on (whoever has the deepest pockets). 
You know, like some athletes who barely throw punches a few times a year (against opponents wearing hard plastic, padded helmets) do.

9 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

You really would have to have no interest in boxing to not know this.

You assume correctly, I wouldn't watch them if they had a spat in the back garden.

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I wouldn't watch them if they had a spat in the back garden.

I would have liked to see Rand Paul and his next door neighbor... speaking of garden fights... 

I wonder what that was about? That and Roswell N.M. - the great mysteries of our day.

Edited by kenk24