Australia begins human trials for vaccine today

Olmate

26 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Good to see Aussies pressing ahead with this urgently needed vaccine, the death rate from this gruesome pandemic currently stands at a staggering 0.0000051%. This is almost approaching to the death rate for accidentally falling out of a plane.

People are praying daily, between sessions hiding in their basements washing their hands, for this viral devastation of the population to finally end. Only a vaccine can save us form genocide. God bless the sound of celebrities singing "were all in this together" from their isolated mansions, it has given us the moral fortitude to keep fighting.

Not the Australia I grew up in...

That’s the spirit,   she,,ll be right!!

I don't know if RT.com (official Russian English News) should be trusted, but they claim that this was sponsored by the Bill Gates Foundation:

US biotech firm Novavax begins Covid-19 vaccine trials on Australian volunteers after getting $388mn from Bill Gates-backed fund

Novavax is testing a new coronavirus vaccine on human subjects for the first time, launching a phase one clinical trial with a massive grant from an agency founded by Bill Gates, kicking off a storm of concerns online.

The Maryland-based pharma company has begun its trial, which will dose some 130 Australian participants with the new inoculation, hoping to see results as early as July and proceed to the second phase.

Source: https://www.rt.com/news/489738-novavax-covid-vaccine-trial/

RT might refer to this news release on the novavax website: http://ir.novavax.com/news-releases/news-release-details/novavax-receive-388-million-funding-cepi-covid-19-vaccine

What I don't understand is why the US company (Gaithersburg, MD) is testing on Australians?
Wouldn't the US, for example New York, make more sense?

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

I don't know if RT.com (official Russian English News) should be trusted, but they claim that this was sponsored by the Bill Gates Foundation:

Source: https://www.rt.com/news/489738-novavax-covid-vaccine-trial/

RT might refer to this news release on the novavax website: http://ir.novavax.com/news-releases/news-release-details/novavax-receive-388-million-funding-cepi-covid-19-vaccine

What I don't understand is why the US company (Gaithersburg, MD) is testing on Australians?

Scomo's been conned again. I think they are in partnership with oz university who are doing the research.

Edited by heybuz
Mistake
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Australia has a very low rate of infection. Testing the vaccine in a country riddled with virus is a bit like trying to eat only the holes in Swiss cheese.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Australia has a very low rate of infection. Testing the vaccine in a country riddled with virus is a bit like trying to eat only the holes in Swiss cheese.

How is this going to be tested? 
Will they infect the Australians after the vaccination with SARS-CoV-2 ?
If so, then New York should be no problem.

Australia does so much to keep the virus out, why bring it in?

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A successful vaccine means people are free to live normal lives again, and travel. Not one of your more intelligent posts.

A "successful" vaccine (is not possible for an RNA virus) allowing us to live "normal lives again and travel" means we are one more yard towards the goalpost of tyranny.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

I currently live in Oz on the Age Pension. it's a great place to live. Great weather, clean beaches and sea, good food, no stress. Some really sensual & attractive women, just as in other countries. However, people who boast of going to Cambodia for paid sex IMO are...

I agree-great country and great people.I love it's diversity and (generally speaking) it's free and easy tolerance.So do the Thai in my community..as I've never seen them happier or more independent in their views and activities.

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Sorry, that particular expression of logic totally eludes me. So staying in lockdown and being prevented from travelling is a democracy?

No, it's not.

Neither is requiring a vaccine in order to travel.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 5:03 PM, Lacessit said:

There's a concept called quarantine. The test subjects are vaccinated, placed in quarantine, and exposed to the virus either artificially or in contact with infected persons. Success is measured by the infection rate and severity of symptoms in the test subjects.

I daresay New York is running out of options in terms of quarantine or a controlled experiment.

Sorry, I do not see why an almost virus free Australia is the better place to infect the vaccinated test subjects. If they are to be infected, then it doesn’t really matter that there are infected persons somewhere outside.

Also of course Novavax has enough labs in the US to run a controlled test, enough money, enough Universities. 

So why test on Australians?

10 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

So why test on Australians?

Why not and why do some seem to want to make it political?

It is probably about the #1 reason of most anything done in the world.

Money!

And thank God these people are volunteering I sure hope everyone is safe and it works.

2 hours ago, moose7117 said:

if you had ever met an Australian you would understand why.

if a few of them die nobody would miss them.

posting for a friend.

and i am Australian.

I didn't think like that until the last 4 years or so..., but now I'm not so sure.