Pattaya: I was hacked after visiting Jomtien hotel - Thai man points finger at family member

webfact

Pattaya: I was hacked after visiting Jomtien hotel - Thai man points finger at family member

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A widely viewed clip on YouTube featured a Thai businessman who said his Facebook account and Krung Sri banking apps were hacked.

Kasidit V. 31, had stayed with his family at the Renaissance Pattaya Resort hotel in Jomtien. 

After this he was contacted by someone claiming to be a presenter at the hotel to say that he had won a mobile phone.

The phone contained a SIM card that enabled his account to be emptied of 395,000 baht.

The SIM seems to have contained some kind of malware leaving the user highly vulnerable. 

In addition Kasidit said further attempts were made to get 200,000 baht and friends' Facebook accounts were compromised. 

Threats were also made.

He said that his family were good people but someone in his extended family was behind the hack. 

He has reported the matter to police. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-26

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

So he wasn't hacked? He was given a phone with a SIM which contained malware? Or the phone contained malware? The story is not very clear.

I can only imagine he used the phone and accessed his banking website via the internet (ie not  their App), using Wi-Fi or network data... and log-on information was sent elsewhere. Would be nice to know if only to help me protect myself. 

Or he put the SIM into his own phone?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

So this guy got this free phone and used his bank app  immediately  ... Oh dear. You have to be thinking one step ahead of these scammers all the time.

That could have been what happened.

He does not seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

That could have been what happened.

He does not seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

One would have to download the App to the phone and activate it, if I recall correctly that takes a few steps. I need a new phone but am constantly put off in fear of the complexity of getting things all working on the new one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

So he wasn't hacked? He was given a phone with a SIM which contained malware? Or the phone contained malware? The story is not very clear.

And in that way they got access to his account and could transfer almost 400k out of it. Means that with help of the phone and his use of it, his account got hacked.

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

likely to be the phone if anything

more details required

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

One would have to download the App to the phone and activate it, if I recall correctly that takes a few steps. I need a new phone but am constantly put off in fear of the complexity of getting things all working on the new one. 

I'm in the same boat. I intend to buy one from a guy in Tukcom who I've used several times give him my old phone and tell him to make it happen.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't grasp how this might work. 

I think some poor reporting. 

I doubt the the phone came with a sim card, and if it did, I doubt the guy would have left an unknown sim card in the phone, while loading up all his apps and entering usernames and passwords.

I would say the phone was purposely infected with spyware, if the story is to be believed at all. 

and what has this to do with the unfortunate Renaissance hotel, which is now needlessly entangled in a negative headline that suggests it is in some way responsible?

grounds for a denigration lawsuit.

especially as the titles of the Thai article linked in the OP does not contain any reference to said hotel resort.

When my brother was a detective in Canada, four guys almost beat a guy to death.   He never had enough evidence on them and they were smart enough to not talk on the phone so the phone taps went nowhere. The 4 of them only met / talked together at a coffee shop (Tim Hortons) in the days after.  Brother noticed the one guy always wore a polo with pocket and 3-4 pens slid in to look important. So he had 2 female cops dress like cell phone reps handing out free pens on their way in to the coffee shop and of course they handed him one with a hidden mic. And yup, he tucked it in and the boys talked away!!!  Next day they were all arrested for attempted murder.  Be careful when someone gives you something out of the blue......this guy in the story learned.....and those 4 guys learned too......the hard way!!!!   Lol!!!

Edited by mushroomdave