Work permit from language school

I have a B.A., a Postgraduate Diploma in Education and a Thai Teacher's Licence.

I resigned from my full-time teaching job last April and switched to a retirement visa; however, I find that I still need to work for another two or three years.

I have been offered a position teaching English in a very small language school where the only teachers would be the (Thai) owner and myself. Is it possible for such a language school to offer a work permit (the owner is not sure about it)?

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Edited by ponder

I don't think you will be able to get a work permit since it requires at least 4 Thai employees to get one.

Another problem is that you would not be able to get a work permit with an extension based upon retirement. 

The retirement issue is not a problem, as I would leave the country (when possible) and get a tourist or non-B, but the 4 Thai employees requirement is.

Thanks for your help.

I personally know of a situation where a language school with a thai owner was able to obtain a work permit for a uk passport holder to teach English, there were no other employees, he did have a non teaching related degree and not sure if that is relevant but yes, it is possible.

I was under impression that the "4 or more Thais employed" rule is only in case the business owner is a foreigner. If the business owner is a Thai national, then this restriction does not apply. However, for those who teach, all usual rules for a teaching permission apply (incl. for foreigners teaching English). The only issue may be to establish a credibility of a teaching English business entity (e.g. school) in the sense it fulfils the prescribed norms for such business (if any), so that their request for a work-permit (in case of a foreign teacher) is granted.

N.B.: this is just my impression, "a vague recollection", of an information I've read somewhere a long time ago... got to be checked, as may be outdated.

Edited by McArie