"We won't go home, we can't afford that" - bus fares almost double because of social distancing regulations

webfact

8 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

A big thank you to China for this predicament. 

Every thread I have read to day that has been even remotely virus related has seen you post some negative slur about China! Is that your raison detre or do you suffer from compulsive obsessive disorder?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"We won't go home, we can't afford that" - bus fares almost double because of social distancing regulations

Stop using the buses, after a while the prices will drop back to normal.

Vote with your feet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bodga said:

if  the  country could  still function normally then thats the price.

You gonna volunteer yourself or your family members as part of the 30k deaths, or is that price ok as long as it's "other" people? 

6 hours ago, lujanit said:

The same is going to happen if airlines are going to leave the middle seat empty.  The real question is if the rate of infection is so low why this so called social distancing?  The BTS doesn’t require it and markets don’t enforce it.  The government speaks with a forked tongue.  This <deleted> is all about power and nothing to do with keeping people safe.

All breathing the same recycled air.  So even more insane.

35 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Every thread I have read to day that has been even remotely virus related has seen you post some negative slur about China! Is that your raison detre or do you suffer from compulsive obsessive disorder?

A psychiatrist says it is Acute Sinophobia-20, causing emphasis on very high frequencies such as dog whistles. Patients respond to the 'dog whistle' by entering a fantasy world where they rant and rave and blame someone else for all their troubles. The last similar pandemic was back in 1933 in Europe and lasted about 12 years. Listen out, you'll hear the next whistle soon if you concentrate really hard.....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It's not an opinion, it's a statement of fact. What's your point?

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It's not an opinion, it's a statement of fact. What's your point?

Fact? Backed up by what facts are proven points your post is just your opinion of a bus ride.

12 minutes ago, mrfill said:

The last similar pandemic was back in 1933 in Europe and lasted about 12 years. 

Back then people failed to recognize the rise of fascists. Not so with China, their plans are now out there for all to see and dissect. A 15000000 lumen light must be shined on the CCP.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silent Number said:

Fact? Backed up by what facts are proven points your post is just your opinion of a bus ride.

Every bus ride I've been on in Thailand was full. It's a fact, how can you possibly misconstrue that as an opinion?

I didn't say that every bus in Thailand ran full, just the one's that I was on.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A statement that is so utterly simplistic, one does not even know where to start, to analyze it. First of all, in general Thais eat a far healthier diet than the majority of those in the UK, or the US, who eat a diet that is downright scary, from a nutritional point of view. Thais eat far more fresh fruits and vegetables, get alot more Vitamin D from the sunshine, have way better attitudes, and generally have far less stress in their lives. So, you are comparing apples with longans.

Social distancing is only part of the equation, as proven in South Korea. Immunity is a far more important element, than social distancing, which only means something if you are highly vulnerable to begin with. Based on the fact that we had millions of tourists here in December, January, and part of February, many of whom were likely infected with Covid, the Thai people appear to have a far greater natural immunity to Covid, than many others. It is likely huge numbers were infected, and never became symptomatic, which in my mind, is very reassuring! 

7 hours ago, lujanit said:

The same is going to happen if airlines are going to leave the middle seat empty.  The real question is if the rate of infection is so low why this so called social distancing?  The BTS doesn’t require it and markets don’t enforce it.  The government speaks with a forked tongue.  This <deleted> is all about power and nothing to do with keeping people safe.

I booked a return flight to the UK before this "pandemic" started, assuming flights are back on in Sept, are they now going to increase my fare? They have accepted my money, so they have to keep their side of the bargain.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I booked a return flight to the UK before this "pandemic" started, assuming flights are back on in Sept, are they now going to increase my fare? They have accepted my money, so they have to keep their side of the bargain.

Lets hope so, but there is always the "small print" like things beyond there control ie: pandemic ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A statement that is so utterly simplistic, one does not even know where to start, to analyze it. First of all, in general Thais eat a far healthier diet than the majority of those in the UK, or the US, who eat a diet that is downright scary, from a nutritional point of view. Thais eat far more fresh fruits and vegetables, get alot more Vitamin D from the sunshine, have way better attitudes, and generally have far less stress in their lives. So, you are comparing apples with longans.

Social distancing is only part of the equation, as proven in South Korea. Immunity is a far more important element, than social distancing, which only means something if you are highly vulnerable to begin with. Based on the fact that we had millions of tourists here in December, January, and part of February, many of whom were likely infected with Covid, the Thai people appear to have a far greater natural immunity to Covid, than many others. It is likely huge numbers were infected, and never became symptomatic, which in my mind, is very reassuring! 

Each is a piece of the puzzle and has some effect.  Vitamin D deficiency will lead to about a 12 times mortality rate and also likely more severe cases on average.... but I would not say it is based on immunity (for which you have none). 

There are many pieces to the puzzle... 

- UV radiation (sunlight) and ventilation significantly reduces the half-life of the virus on surfaces - which means that lowers the chances of catching it (lowering the R0 value - how many you infect on average if you catch it).   The ventilation was found to have a very beneficial effect in regards to the Spanish Flu (something that is lost on modern hospital buildings). 

- For your average Thai (outside of a few major centers like bangkok) they are more likely to live without constant AC and rely on ventilation (unless it gets really hot out) and will live a more outdoors lifestyle (especially when the malls and theatres are closed). 

- Social distancing will reduce the opportunity for the virus to spread

- Wearing Masks will do the same as social distancing to an effect (masks reduce you spreading virus - about a 66% reduction I believe on ability to spread in lab tests; reduces it by about 33% for you catching it; and if both - it combines the two).

- Tracking and tracing contacts reduces the ability of it to spread when you are able track down someone infectious but not symptomatic (also reduces R0). 

The problem is that in many western countries it got out of control and there is resistance to do more than light social distancing.  That is the difference between South Korea and many western countries - they have all their eggs in social distancing which helps but without all of the mitigation efforts working together - you might have some success in flattening it but not really getting it under control and if they do it will take an extremely long time. 

Deficient vitamin D levels (and some extent other nutrition) will compromise your immune system, but we will all start with no immunity - it is all about how quickly and how efficiently your immune system works once infected (with a few caveats)

BTW, The Thais do have significant co-morbidity issues do to their diet - higher salinity of the food which etc. ...  There is a large under diagnosed or untreated issue with both hypertension and diabetes in Thailand (along with TB).  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Lets hope so, but there is always the "small print" like things beyond there control ie: pandemic ? 

They could cancel and refund... (that is a legal requirement - that they were trying to avoid) but my guess is if you don't complain they will not cancel and refund and will just fly you as normal (they will likely be flying more empty seats in addition to the requirement anyways)

8 hours ago, lujanit said:

I don’t think fares will go up initially, the airlines needs b*** on seats so putting fares up now would be counterproductive, I think next year will see an increase as and when things get back to normal.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

And just who do you think brought us this pandemic?  Norway?  Algeria? Panama?  The world is suffering, markets well off their highs, lockdowns everywhere.

And Chinese propaganda spreads faster than Wuhan virus.  When will the CCP take responsibility for this?  Why do they deny the obvious?

Not so much who Pavlov but what. The virus came from nature, that it may have originated in China is somewhat irrelevant for those of us without an agenda. Society didn't try to attribute the influenza, smallpox, ebola, cholera or mumps to any single country, it seems odd we now wish to attribute blame for covid19 to China. Maybe it came about as the result of poor hygienic practices but at this stage we can't be certain, if you know these things you must alert the WHO, they're keen to know. Woof.

• Like 1

Not if!! My mate told he was looking to go back to Australia and some Airlines were quoting up to 90,000 baht ONE WAY  <deleted>!!

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Not so much who Pavlov but what. The virus came from nature, that it may have originated in China is somewhat irrelevant for those of us without an agenda. Society didn't try to attribute the influenza, smallpox, ebola, cholera or mumps to any single country, it seems odd we now wish to attribute blame for covid19 to China. Maybe it came about as the result of poor hygienic practices but at this stage we can't be certain, if you know these things you must alert the WHO, they're keen to know. Woof.

Fantasy

Brazil is averaging 1000 people a day dying from this disease you call a power play.

I can't understand people with their head so far up their rump, they can't even

admit this is a real disease and it is killing thousands.

Not only that but most experts in this field say it is not expect to burn out

and will be with us for some distance into the future.

No one is dragging you into anything, you really can do pretty much what ever you want 

right now.

Just be content to do what you want to do and stop expecting other people to act 

like you.

Maybe bar owners don't want to open right now, maybe store employees don't you

coming in breathing in their face.

You aren't just satisfied to go your own way, you want others to wait on you,

to carry your bag for a few baht.

You want all your little pleasures back even 

it cost someone their life.

Tuff, grow up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

From everything that I've read airline prices are going way way up when international travel returns.  The only reason why it's still going is repatriation flights.  

Look, if a plane is half full it's half fares.  Thai is going bankrupt, South America's air carrier is going bankrupt as of right now.  There is no money.  They aren't refunding because there is no money.

I've read some experts saying that they were going to skyrocket, but someone typing this on a forum it's just hear-say.  

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Nobody want´s that. This is about consistency. When you compare airlines and buses to BTS, the rules are different. How is that going to be seen and understood by the public and citizens? That´s the thing that has to be fixed. It´s not about that the protective measures is wrong. It´s about that they are no consistent. 

Stop and think just a minute, there are 70 million in Thailand, 330 million in USA and 7.5 Billion 

in the world. 

How in your perfect world do get 7.5 billion doing the same thing at the same time to suit you.

In situations like this you try to make rules that make sense for the situation.

5 people per car on the BTS, you may as well just shut it down.

50% less on a plane, you can't keep flying with those numbers,

so you just have to tell people try and protect yourself the best

you can and some times you have to take some risk.

We don't want it that way, but people can't just starve to death 

or start living on the streets.

7.5 billion or 70 million you can't expect everything to be consistent.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PatchinExPat said:

Stop and think just a minute, there are 70 million in Thailand, 330 million in USA and 7.5 Billion 

in the world. 

How in your perfect world do get 7.5 billion doing the same thing at the same time to suit you.

In situations like this you try to make rules that make sense for the situation.

5 people per car on the BTS, you may as well just shut it down.

50% less on a plane, you can't keep flying with those numbers,

so you just have to tell people try and protect yourself the best

you can and some times you have to take some risk.

We don't want it that way, but people can't just starve to death 

or start living on the streets.

7.5 billion or 70 million you can't expect everything to be consistent.

International travel is not truly necessary, it's going to become a luxury again.  It hasn't been as there has been tons of competition.  Taking inflation rates into account, it's about 1/3 the price to fly now compared to the 60's.  

Airlines are not making money hand over fist, and what it costs to fly an airplane is what it will cost.  That's from a logical point of view.  There is not one airline on the planet right now that can afford to lose .01c on any run.  They are working on social distancing rules, and you should be worried because they are not talking about flying at 50 percent, they are talking about flying at 1/3 capacity.  And your airline ticket WILL reflect that.  If you have no money for gas your motorcycle won't start.  

You're throwing risk and what you're willing to take, bla bla bla into it and that's irrelevant.  You are bringing personal wants and needs into this.  Planes cannot fly and infect everyone with this pandemic, and they simply won't.  

I won't be paying nearly double the price for bus or air travel.  The government can step up and use some of their submarine money.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

I won't be paying nearly double the price for bus or air travel.  The government can step up at use some of their submarine money.

Guess you will be staying home for a very looooong time then as get used to it.