Thailand danger! Beware the black widow!

webfact

Thailand danger! Beware the black widow!

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thailand's health authorities have issued warnings about two spiders that are likely to be prevalent during the rainy season. 

The poisonous critters are the Black Widow (maeng mum mae mai dam) and the brown recluse spider (maeng mum sandote see namtaan).

Their bites are highly venomous. Initially pain can be mild but it gradually increases and can last for a week, reported Sanook. 

Complications can also set in in some cases with vomiting, fever, headache and blood clots a possibility as well as kidney issues. 

These symptoms can take one or two days to develop. 

These spiders are distinctive and very different to common spiders found in Thailand, said the media.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-26

I encountered hundreds of them as a field tech. Utility closets are a favorite hangout for them.  

Both spiders are quite timid.

It's actually difficult for a black widow to bite a relatively flat surface. Most bites are from people inadvertently grabbing, sitting or stepping on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hold on stop the presses, Thailand must shut all of its borders. Again. if Thailand reacts to every danger in life then you might as well just give up and just be scared. What about all the creepy crawlees Thailand has to offer stuff made of nightmares. I see on YouTube Vietnam wants farang tourist dollars and will be possibly opening up their airports to travel. I hope so!

• Confused 2

There is a smaller jumping spider here in Phuket , and Ive killed a lot recently - since the rains started.

Im all for leaving nature alone , but I was once bitten by a mature one of these , and each time it looked to be almost recovered , the skin would come off and the small wound would start weeping again. So I would recommend 'termination ' on site from now on.

40 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

There is a smaller jumping spider here in Phuket , and Ive killed a lot recently - since the rains started.

Im all for leaving nature alone , but I was once bitten by a mature one of these , and each time it looked to be almost recovered , the skin would come off and the small wound would start weeping again. So I would recommend 'termination ' on site from now on.

I had exactly that type of wound recently in Pattaya. Now you may have solved the puzzle. Thanks.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

About time Thailand imported some red back spiders from Oz, we sent them to Japan decades ago under the shipping containers

All Thai's have to do is learn the words to " There was a red back on the toilet seat "  :cheesy:

Yea the Black Widow is from the same family of spiders as our Red Back

If gambling was allowed, I'd be happy to take bets on whether it's going to be C19, dengue fever or a deadly spider bite that will finish me. Strewth, thank Buddha for beer, the cure for everything! 

10 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Hah! They’re not dangerous spiders!!

get bitten by a male funnel web n see how long you last.

without antivenine and very very fast your dead ... anyone’s stone dead !

Lived close to the water in Balmain Sydney in late 1960's and early 70's, funnel webs and redbacks, the latter especially liked hiding in clothes draws.    I can vouch for the latter its bite being painful, fortunately only close enough to acknowledge the funnel webs raised fangs.
Since then and even to this day, whatever country I have lived in I still shake my shoes out.

My last spider bite was whilst visiting VIV Asia show in Bangkok several years ago, never saw it never felt it but ended up spending a couple of days in hospital.   Turned out I was highly allergic to the medicine for the bite rather than the bite itself.

Best advice is be aware and respect all insects, they may not affect others but you could be allergic to it's bite / sting.    

35 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Don't suppose anyone has any idea of how long they've been here and if they are limited to certain areas etc.  Can they survive the cold weather up north etc?

They are all over the  US, surviving in all sorts of temperature extremes. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

They are all over the  US, surviving in all sorts of temperature extremes. 

I think the ones in the US are a different Genus to the Australian Funnel Web.

The Aussie one is Atrax whilst the ones listed in US are Coras ( funnel weavers ), not known to be dangerous.
That said caution is always the best approach.