What is good business to start or to buy int post cover-19

57 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

corona shows one thing : many business are just a waste of space & time because people have too much money to spend on expensive white skin, hair & nail salons, weight loss, ...

those types are useless in a zombie apocalypse... back to the basics ...

... my sentiments exactly, for like maybe 2 months we only purchased what's really necessary and that shattered the whole 'economy' ...?!

Well, what does that tell us about our consumerism & economies ...

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

So you can confirm the saying: to make a small fortune in Thailand, you need to arrive with a big fortune...

This sounds right.  Thailand seems like a tough place to make money unless you have money.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I think a great business model is a Thai nursing home. It is a big undertaking. But, alot of room for growth, alot of demand from aging ex-pats, and little competition. There are a few in the CM area, but not many elsewhere. One of the homes in CM has glowing reviews, is quite beautiful with expansive gardens, ponds, lovely, caring nurses, and appears to be a delightful place, to spend the remaining years. For a single man, or one who is too sick for his family to care of him full time, it is a very decent option. You can charge a fraction of the cost of what is charged back home (in the US the average nursing home is $7,000 to $9,000 a month, and many of the nurses and assistants are grouchy and abusive) and still make a good profit. And in addition, you are offering a good service to people who need it. 

At the opposite end of the population, there is very little available when it comes to taking care of young children.

When I needed them, during the previous decade, I couldn't find a kindergarten and a babysitter, the latter being apparently an unknown job in this country.

Among the many well off people of Bangkok, some might enjoy this kind of services, if they were available.

The trick would be to recruit the necessary reliable staff...

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

At the opposite end of the population, there is very little available when it comes to taking care of young children.

When I needed them, during the previous decade, I couldn't find a kindergarten and a babysitter, the latter being apparently an unknown job in this country.

Among the many well off people of Bangkok, some might enjoy this kind of services, if they were available.

Another good idea. I think with this economic climate, finding staff would not be difficult. Reliable is always a challenge here. But, it is possible. There are alot of hard working people here, and if they are well paid, it can be done.

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

I will post my own business success story for you.  I came out here 10 years ago and my wife had a well paid job with a Chinese company.  She wanted to leave and start her own business and had a few ideas that I patiently listened to.  I was a little sceptical due to my lack of knowledge and language skills in Thailand. However we ventured on and after a few up's and downs and 10 years of hard work including sleeping on the concrete shop floor for 2 years she now has a very successful import business.  Her turnover averages 15 million and her net worth is in the order of 50 million baht.

So she is technically a UK millionaire.  I started with 2 million GBP and now down to 300k.

Great way to make a small fortune  - start with a large one. 555

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think a great business model is a Thai nursing home. It is a big undertaking. But, alot of room for growth, alot of demand from aging ex-pats, and little competition. There are a few in the CM area, but not many elsewhere. One of the homes in CM has glowing reviews, is quite beautiful with expansive gardens, ponds, lovely, caring nurses, and appears to be a delightful place, to spend the remaining years. For a single man, or one who is too sick for his family to care of him full time, it is a very decent option. You can charge a fraction of the cost of what is charged back home (in the US the average nursing home is $7,000 to $9,000 a month, and many of the nurses and assistants are grouchy and abusive) and still make a good profit. And in addition, you are offering a good service to people who need it. 

It is a likely possibility, to buy a existing resort property that is failing (you would have alot to choose from!) at a bargain price, to establish a location. Hua Hin and Koh Samui come to mind, as potential locations. 

This sounds like a great idea.  I like to get together with you to explore further if you have time. Where do you live now?

4 hours ago, FinickyFarang said:

Shipping costs, overseas logistics can turn a good idea into a nightmare.

The only time that will turn into a nightmare is when you are unaware of what you are doing. That´s always a bad business strategy.

If you want a low start up, try affiliate marketing online.

If you focus on the advertising side of it, the products are mainly non-tangible, so no stock to maintain, no shipping costs, unlimited supplies available.

It's easy to get started and the only people who don't make money are the ones who don't do the work.

It's been completely unaffected by the current Covid situation as it's not a physical business.

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

I have training centers for kids ranging from 3 to 12 years old, teaching them English mostly.  It is sort of similar to kindergarten. These centers are profitable.  I am interested in setting up kids centers if I can find similar minded partners who are familiar with the Thai markets.

2 hours ago, JohnBZ said:

This sounds like a great idea.  I like to get together with you to explore further if you have time. Where do you live now?

Not something I would be in a position to get involved with. It would require alot of capital to set up properly. But thanks. 

16 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I met a seriously rich guy a few years ago who said his strategy was to get into businesses everyone else is getting out of.

His theory was that going against the trend and getting into a 'sunset' business means you can buy businesses and equipment cheap, and there will have been good business model originally, so with everyone else jumping ship, demand will rise.  He also said that with trendy 'sunrise' businesses, entry prices rise and competition is tough as it's the current thing everybody is getting into.

So perhaps it is time to open a bar, massage shop, or start an airline?  ????

Or maybe that guy now sell squirrel skin coz nobody don't do that nomore! Or maybe he sell NMT phones.

16 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I met a seriously rich guy a few years ago who said his strategy was to get into businesses everyone else is getting out of.

His theory was that going against the trend and getting into a 'sunset' business means you can buy businesses and equipment cheap, and there will have been good business model originally, so with everyone else jumping ship, demand will rise.  He also said that with trendy 'sunrise' businesses, entry prices rise and competition is tough as it's the current thing everybody is getting into.

So perhaps it is time to open a bar, massage shop, or start an airline?  ????

That sounds like the business model adopted down in Cha Am where I have a place to escape Bangkok.  Their reasoning goes along the lines of:

There were 10 restaurants on this soi last year

Now there are only 2 

So those 2 restaurants  must now have 5 times as many customers

We should open a restaurant on that soi

And ignore all other SWOT

My wife calls them dreamers...and coming from a Thai that alone speaks volumes.

PS Where is he now?

12 hours ago, jaideecm said:

several blogs about internet travel operators opportunities during this time of the Covid-19 problem that are published by travel magazines on line.

Hi,

I am interested in reading/learning about your blogs on internet travel operator opportunities. Thank you very much. Benjamin

I have registered a company in Isan to promote solar cooling, there is a need for it in remote areas for farmers to store produce.

have discovered a DIY solution which makes The modular system quite affordable.

Units from refrigerators up to air conditioning and cold storage can be Constructed using local material and Labor. The applications are boundless.

Anyone interested in further information ?

7 minutes ago, Robo23 said:

I have registered a company in Isan to promote solar cooling, there is a need for it in remote areas for farmers to store produce.

Units from refrigerators up to air conditioning and cold storage can be Constructed using local material and Labor. The applications are boundless.

Maybe...where in Isaan?

It's a big place...

2 hours ago, Robo23 said:

I am very interested in solar. Worked on solar panels many years ago.  Love to learn more. When can we meet to talk?

Thanks for everyone input.  Your replies helped me a lot.  Now, I come to conclusion to pursue online eduction business with an initial focus on teaching English, Chinese and other asian languages in SE Asia.  Anyone here likes the idea or is interested in working together.  Please feel free to contact me.

Cheers.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:58 PM, Kinnock said:

Honestly,  he's so far away from being the first to say such a thing.

Searching the phrase "contrarian investing" will give insight to what I mean.

While I could never prove it, I'll bet the OP is no older than 14 years of age.

Edited by Andy from Kent
  • Like 1