Motorcycle License Renewal

Hello, My 2-year Thai mororcycle license expired on April 10, 2020, by which time the Transportation Office was already closed. Any idea if this office is open now, and whether they'll allow any kind of grace period due to COVID? Will I have to repeat the whole process again, i.e. sit thru lecture, take written test, do practical test and sit in waiting room for photo and new license issuance?  Thanks for any info!

The DLT offices still don't do any license renewals/extensions.

Offices are open for limited services only.

The amnesty has been extended until state of emergency ends or further notice.

The amnesty covers driving with expired license.

41 minutes ago, Meggie Mae said:

expired on April 10, 2020

42 minutes ago, Meggie Mae said:

Will I have to repeat the whole process again

Even without the amnesty you have one full year after expiry without additional effort.

Just the usual eye/reaction test and probably watching video/lecture.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

When the office is open again watch carefully whitch one you go! They have different rules also! Some place its 500 bth and done some have different rules!

Surattthani, license expired 7 days, I had to pass all the law and driving license!

On 5/26/2020 at 12:58 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Even without the amnesty you have one full year after expiry without additional effort.

I live in Chiang Mai Province and renewed the registration on the motorbike yesterday, apart from social distancing it seemed pretty much business as usual.

9 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I live in Chiang Mai Province and renewed the registration on the motorbike yesterday, apart from social distancing it seemed pretty much business as usual.

Yes, tax/insurance, vehicle registration still open but as written no driving license issues.

10 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Pattaya office is packed always, worse than a boxing stadium, definite cluster zone, sensible to close it

On 5/26/2020 at 12:58 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Up to one year after the expiry date is only for the 5-year licence, the 2-year licence can't be renewed after the expiry date (except corona regulations just now).

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, swissbie said:

Up to one year after the expiry date is only for the 5-year licence, the 2-year licence can't be renewed after the expiry date (except corona regulations just now).

Very wrong!!  In fact last time I had to renew my 2 year licence in Chiang Mai they told me I had to wait until it had expired before I could renew!! 

44 minutes ago, swissbie said:

I had a 2 years license that was expired a few days and renewed it without problems.

You can even renew if expired more than 1 year (but not older than 3) but you need to do the written test again.

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/driving-license/view.php?_did=80

Which lists the official rules for license renewal from temporary to 5 years license says:

หมายเหตุ
กรณีสิ้นอายุเกิน 1 ปี แต่ไม่เกิน 3 ปี เพิ่มขั้นตอนทดสอบข้อเขียน
กรณีสิ้นอายุเกิน 3 ปี เพิ่มขั้นตอนอบรม / ทดสอบข้อเขียน / ทดสอบขับรถ

which google translates to:

note
In the case of ending more than 1 year but not over 3 years, add written test procedures
In the case of ending more than 3 years, add training / written tests / driving tests

2 minutes ago, thomo1978 said:

Very wrong!!  In fact last time I had to renew my 2 year licence in Chiang Mai they told me I had to wait until it had expired before I could renew!! 

That's also wrong ???? One is supposed to be able to renew it up to 3 months before expiry date though I can't find that written down anywhere right now. What they supposedly told you would mean they force people to either drive with an expired license or get a taxi/bus to the dlt after expiry.

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

That's also wrong ???? One is supposed to be able to renew it up to 3 months before expiry date though I can't find that written down anywhere right now. What they supposedly told you would mean they force people to either drive with an expired license or get a taxi/bus to the dlt after expiry.

Well I can assure you that is what they told me (I actually went out there with all the paperwork only to be turned away.  I was with a Thai speaker so no language barrier either).  I went back the day after my license expired and of course got stopped on Hang Dong Rd outside Tesco on the normal police stop, luckily the police officer understood my ranting and waving about paperwork so I didn't get a fine. 

Maybe because my previous license was not issued in CM?  Who knows how their systems work here?