Phuket beach cleanup nets 40kg of trash

webfact

Phuket beach cleanup nets 40kg of trash

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1590468851_1-org.jpg

The small team collected more than 40kg of trash, mostly marine debris, from the beach in just two hours. Photo: Sirinath National Park

PHUKET: A small cleanup by just seven people at Mai Khao yesterday (May 25) saw some 40kg of marine debris and trash recovered from the beach in just two hours.

The cleanup was organised by officers from Phuket’s Sirinath National Park, park chief Natthawat Nuisriram explained to The Phuket News.

The cleanup began at 10am, with five park officers taking part and two local residents lending a hand, he explained.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-cleanup-nets-40kg-of-trash-76186.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-05-26

I frequent a couple of beaches on Phuket almost every day (before restrictions) and I collect on any one visit 3 bags of trash every time.

lets all take a bag Or 2 n collect trash n see what this impact it has on the places we love ???? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Wouldn't swim in that beach if you paid me !

Afraid of aeroplanes? 

Normally a pristine beach when winter storms dont leave a little flotsam on the high tide line. It's a long way from Patong if that's what's scared you. 

mai khao.jpg

• Like 1

it's nice to see awareness like this.   maybe in 40 years  there will be a different attitude.   I remember the time I did the boat crossing of the Chayo Prya near the Royal  temple.  the amount of plastic trash per sq m was astounding.   much if this starts many km away from the ocean.  all the dumping in the kings amd even streets of BKK eventually get to the ocean.  

First order of business is to have trash cans everywhere and putting trash on the sidewalk should be considered littering with 1000 Baht fine.   if the police need to make money they need to just go to intersections and stop people who throw cigarette butts out 1,000 baht 5 times and it's 20,000 baht 

In our throw away society man has developed some bad habits. I am not sure who is more irresponsible, Thais or tourists?

Why stop with the beach? Spread the word. Take your garbage home, bag it, bin it. Lets clean up Thailand.

6 hours ago, Elkski said:

it's nice to see awareness like this.   maybe in 40 years  there will be a different attitude.   I remember the time I did the boat crossing of the Chayo Prya near the Royal  temple.  the amount of plastic trash per sq m was astounding.   much if this starts many km away from the ocean.  all the dumping in the kings amd even streets of BKK eventually get to the ocean.  

First order of business is to have trash cans everywhere and putting trash on the sidewalk should be considered littering with 1000 Baht fine.   if the police need to make money they need to just go to intersections and stop people who throw cigarette butts out 1,000 baht 5 times and it's 20,000 baht 

This trash comes from the sea.

.......and the weird thing is that there are always flip-flops amongst the rubbish and they are nearly always left-footed ones.

Reminds me of a joke.

A man is walking down the street with only one flip-flop. A passerby says "lost a flip-flop?"

Man replies "No, just found one".

• Haha 2

On 5/26/2020 at 12:38 PM, webfact said:

40kg of trash, mostly marine debris, from the beach in just two hours. Photo: Sirinath National Park

The cleanup began at 10am, with five park officers taking part and two local residents

5+2 pax = 7

2 hours * 7 = 14 hours 

40/14 = 2.8kg / hour by one person.

From the calculation it looks like there was not a lot of rubbish on the beach

But four park officers giving directions to the two residents of which collected 10 kg each every hour make more sense.

And one officer for collecting the bag for the photo op.

????

I applaud their actions.

Would like to see more 'trash cans' on the beach and make beachcombing more legal, even if done by foreigners.

Edited by Metropolitian

5 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

5+2 pax = 7

2 hours * 7 = 14 hours 

40/14 = 2.8kg / hour by one person.

From the calculation it looks like there was not a lot of rubbish on the beach

But four park officers giving directions to the two residents of which collected 10 kg each every hour make more sense.

And one officer for collecting the bag for the photo op.

????

I applaud their actions.

Would like to see more 'trash cans' on the beach and make beachcombing more legal, even if done by foreigners.

Is beachcombing illegal in Thailand? 

7 hours ago, chokrai said:

Is beachcombing illegal in Thailand? 

Not that but it is illegal to :

* take corals and seashells from the beach and fly out Thailand with them

* take marine items with you

* cleaning up the beach as foreigner is considered working and without workpermit not allowed

* finding products for financial gain is even considered work and not allowed for foreigners

In many countries it's even illegal to take sand from the beach, even in a small amount.

But real beachcombing, while walking on the beach with one eye in search for lost items and wrecks from the ocean I don't mind if it's illegal as long the beach isn't being destroyed.

• Like 1