Thailand under state of emergency until June 30

webfact

Maintaining the  "State of Emergency" status does not  necessarily mean  the continuation of  all the measures it empowers authorities  to apply.

The one  most important is the compulsory  quarantine of arrivals from outside Thailand.

Most others are incrementally being relaxed to the point where most social functions are inconvenienced rather than restricted.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Was fully clear that they will extend it. All those old dinosaurs have no clue about daily life. And like always, the most important thing is to not lose their faces. What about the thousands of guys wanting to return to their families in TH? Holding valid visa/marriage certificates Most of them are desperate and would be happy to pay 50k THB for a 2 weeks hotel quarantine to just get back. There are still daily empty flights from Europe. Or why they can`t admit that it was a fault to keep the schools closed until 1st of July. All those poor kids in state schools are lost. It`s impossible to catch up 4 months of stuff and e-learning has 0 effect in this country.

It`s like always in TH. Stick to the rules, even they make 0 sense. 

Those "old dinosaurs" are doing far better than, for example, the Spanish government have been doing.

Why should a Thai government care about foreigners returning at the moment? They have far bigger things to worry about, primarily protecting their own citizens.

I assume you are going to support your statement and post the studies that demonstrate and prove that e-learning has zero effect in this country?

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Given that pretty much the only cases here in the last 3 weeks have come from quarantine facilities, you have to ask why the continuation of the emergency decree?

To have control over the people you have to exercise it to prove it... this is the perfect opportunity to state.. we are the masters.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

The State of Emergency is here to stay. It may recede into the background, it may like the curfew, gradually be reduced to the stage where it is meaningless, just marking time in the background, but it will remain. When anything threatens order and stability (a.k.a. the survival of the regime) it can and will be resurrected and reimposed.  Just wait until the first protest meeting, or when elections, local or national, fall due.

It has got the cubed root of b*gg*r all to do with fighting the pandemic.

Just like martial law became Section 44 without a bang or even a whimper.

A second wave would mean total and utter economic disaster for Thailand so this continuation is a cautious move and I agree with it. 

Tourism is already dead for the foreseeable, no point in taking the other major industries such as manufacturing and farming with it if the country is opened up too early.

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey.

18 hours ago, Raphus said:

This is quite frustrating. I have a signed work contract to teach math in a state school from July 1st. I am like all teachers, suffering with loss of income. It will soon get to a point that I wont have the finances to fly to Thailand to take this job...

I cannot understand that if the virus is only within returnees. A state quarantine program is the best. I for one am happy to undertake this.

Moreover, most people in other countries are also in lockdown and as europe is opening up we are healthy and ready to travel and work.

Looks like you'r only thinking about yourself and your workpermit and income when you get here . Maybe you should think about the safety and income of all the thai people that have lost their jobs and have nothing at this moment . A bit selfish i think . You have a good oppertunity to make some money in your homecountry as thats where you are from so you know your way around . Seems to me you are only worried about yourself , you are not alone in this situation almost everybody is , so hold on and wait and see what happens . 

23 minutes ago, scandream said:

Should someone explain to me the logic behind the decision to extend the emergency ordinance to June 30th, but to consider reducing the curfew. What good is the possibility of going out until midnight if you have no way to sit on the beach with friends or have a drink somewhere without restriction? This new decision is absolutely not understandable!

It’s not it’s just the third phase of the lockdown. 

• Thanks 1

You have to remember that when the outbreak started many countries were closing their borders to the chinese, but not Thailand, borders remained open for some time, people were scratching their heads wondering why they were still allowing them into the country, then china banned travel on it's citizens, so finally thai closed it's borders, Imagine how low the numbers would have been if they acted immediately, it would be all over now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I suspect many personal liberties will somehow never be fully returned, such as large crowds, which very soon may be in the form of starving and angry mobs.

I believe the military, after replacing the democratically elected government, declared that no more than five people can gather together as people were meeting in large groups at places such as MBK in silent protest. As far as I know that is still in force and can be enforced at any time. There doesn't need to be an angry mob. Just sitting in silence can get you arrested in Thailand.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

My guess is that they're being ultra-cautious and retaining the emergency powers for another month just in case there's a second wave in June. There have been a few worrying cases recently: the asymptomatic guy found in Chiang Mai; the asymptomatic Italian guy in Phuket who gave the virus to his wife; and the two cases in Bangkok a week or so ago who had not been in contact with any known cases, one of whom had been in Isaan as well. The official numbers point to the virus being under control, but until they trace and deal with the source of all known infections there's always a possibility that it might resurface. At least with the emergency decree in place the government can act quickly if a new wave does start up.

Their problem is that if they relax the state of emergency now and a fresh outbreak occurs, how many daily cases will be needed before the state of emergency is reimposed? That would cause even more howls of anguish than merely extending it, so they might have to wait for 100 or more new cases a day before reimposing it and trying to get things under control again. By then, unfortunately, the country could be looking like Singapore did when its second wave started a month ago, and it would be too late to easily get it under control again. At least almost all new cases there are related to migrant worker dormitories, Thailand might not be so lucky in having such an easily-identifiable source for any new wave of infections.

As long as a second wave doesn't happen, and let's pray that's the case, then the country will be ready for almost full normalisation at the start of July. Hotels are already planning on reopening during July, incoming passenger flights are only banned until the end of June, they may be allowed to start up again in July, and open-air bars might be allowed to open again with appropriate measures. As a part of this process, I'm guessing they will drop the emergency decree as long as everything is hunky dory. Well, that's my optimistic take on things, for what it's worth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

About the schools ....they seem to be afraid the young generation would become learning to think....and could even start reading and understand why the French revolution ever happened........

They really are scared from that student mouvement of Thanatorn seems

True

• Like 1

I think a lot of people here on Thai visa are only thinking of them selves 

Complaining about the lockdown 

The Thai Government have all the Thai people to think about health wise ect

Looks like some of the tourists here are making the most of the lockdown and enjoying themselves looking to the positive and not the negative 

It's only a other month to go 

20 minutes ago, Krabi King said:

I think many people have forgotten about something else...

The state of emergency is extremely convenient for the government to keep the peace. There is still a lot of political turmoil going on behind the scenes. Lifting the emergency decree could have people move to streets in masses. We only need to look at Hong Kong as an example.

Meaning no end to the emergency decree? They sure would love to do it the way it looks.

38 minutes ago, Xbeemer said:

All the whining, moaning and bitching on this forum. Be grateful you are in a country right now that is nearly 100% Corona Virus free. After all, you could be in Trumpistan, with the highest infection and death rates in the world. Why? Because they did not do as Thailand has done. This is one of the best places to be on the planet right now. For this I am grateful. If you are not happy to live in this disease free country, there are still daily flights leaving for other diseased countries. You are welcome to leave.

Ah! Another original comment not thought through. Please tell me how they can leave when all the borders are closed!