CP warned to recall bottled water over 'illegal logo'

webfact

CP warned to recall bottled water over 'illegal logo'

By THE NATION

800_bf0f5d030d7be77.jpg?v=1590480346

The Thai Industrial Standards Institute (TISI) has seized around 3,000 bottles of CP Freshmarket drinking water from four stores, after the brand was found to be using the TISI logo without permission.

TISI secretary-general Wanchai Panomchai asked CPF Trading to remove the bottled water from shelves in other CP Freshmart branches, and to recall all the bottles nationwide.

The institute also checked the Holland Star Packaging plant in Ayutthaya, where bottled water under the CP and CP Freshmart brands is produced. It said the inspection found that the TISI logo had been used without permission on around 400,000 bottles of the two brands produced at the plant.

Wanchai warned that that this infringement was against the law, with violators facing a fine of up to Bt1 million or up to one year in jail. He added that operators of stores that sold the products were also breaking the law, and could be punished with fines of up to Bt500,000 or six months in jail.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388530?utm_source=homepage

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-26

6 hours ago, Mops59 said:

Quarreling about a logo. Why still bottled water? How long will it take for these companies to start building waste water plants and drinking water systems to get drinking.water from the taps at home.

Most of Bangkok's water is treated and safe - leaving the plants. However, there is a slight problem with the delivery of the water. Beside deteriorated pipes, every hillbilly laborer will tap into the system using whatever method the dream up on the spot. 

Cleaning out my mother-in-law's roof mounted water tank, we've come across all sorts of debris, including a number of cellophane wrappers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mops59 said:

Quarreling about a logo. Why still bottled water? How long will it take for these companies to start building waste water plants and drinking water systems to get drinking.water from the taps at home.

For a country that can't even control it's general waste at either public or government level let alone the possibility of 'safe' water from the govt won't happen in your lifetime.

In England it was lead pipes then it often became over chlorination due to faulty regulators especially in certain areas.

I buy my drinking water locally from someone I know who runs a water plant, supply my own 5 litre bottles and cost 1 baht litre.   Empties collected refills ( in my bottles ) delivered.    I drink 3 litre per day and have never had a problem.

I am fortunate not to live in a city and have to haul bottles of water back to a condo or house.  However ... the local pipes here often break especially at the start of the rainy season, water can be sandy and brownish, its chlorine or other chemicals ( ? ) can make the water feel strange to the skin ( doesn't soap up or can't wash soap off ), even had nematodes in the water.

I often wonder why, for a country that is surrounded by water, it can't start desalinating water even if it has to eventually be delivered in old piping to houses etc.

10 hours ago, Mops59 said:

Long after we are dead and buried. Perhaps never. 

12 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

For a country that can't even control it's general waste at either public or government level let alone the possibility of 'safe' water from the govt won't happen in your lifetime.

In England it was lead pipes then it often became over chlorination due to faulty regulators especially in certain areas.

I buy my drinking water locally from someone I know who runs a water plant, supply my own 5 litre bottles and cost 1 baht litre.   Empties collected refills ( in my bottles ) delivered.    I drink 3 litre per day and have never had a problem.

I am fortunate not to live in a city and have to haul bottles of water back to a condo or house.  However ... the local pipes here often break especially at the start of the rainy season, water can be sandy and brownish, its chlorine or other chemicals ( ? ) can make the water feel strange to the skin ( doesn't soap up or can't wash soap off ), even had nematodes in the water.

I often wonder why, for a country that is surrounded by water, it can't start desalinating water even if it has to eventually be delivered in old piping to houses etc.

I drink the local water Bangkok just boil it first and put in fridge no problems.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mops59 said:

Longer than you & I have added together left on this planet.

11 hours ago, Mops59 said:

Why would they do that, when the water bottling companies make millions. And I'm not talking baht, but dollars. In my village I receive my water in 20 litre bottles delivered to the door that cost 10 baht, less than most companies charge for a 600 ml. bottle in the supermarket. That indicates the enormous profits these companies make.

CP representative is currently preparing the usual "misunderstanding statement"...

Quite laughable to suggest any legal action would be raised against CP... That would be such a waste of money, time & resources...

12 hours ago, Mops59 said:

What a strange remark. Why would these companies help making the drinking water from the tap safe. They have no involvement in this process. If they were to do so they would destroy their own market. Its up to the Thai government to make drinking water safe not up to private companies who have no connection to the normal supply of water at h ome.

I have water from the tap that i can drink because i got a filter that i use. 

Drinking water hehe.

I used water from one of those big 18 liter white bottles to wash my mixer container. Just put water inside, and gave it a whirl before mixing my sauce. I looked inside the carafe, and saw bubbles on top of the water. So I thought it was not washed clean before. So I dumped that water, and started again. Same thing. Just like soap bubbles on top.

So I ordered the blue 18 liter bottles, which re more expensive, and purer I would presume. Gave a whirl to that water. Same bubbles on top.

So I ordered some blue bottles from another supplier. Same.

I did try of course water from Nestle smaller bottles. As clear as it can get, no bubbles there.

I tried small bottles from the large bottle suppliers, same size as Nestle pure, but with that supplier's logo. Bubbles would form on top.

I use Nestle for everything now... (HKT)

I had a R/O system installed in my house in America years ago. This was to avoid in taking chlorine, fluoride and other chemicals. Since moving to Thailand 9 years ago, I had triple filtration systems installed at 2 places where I lived. As a matter of fact, a new system was installed this week in the third place I now live. Water is the gift of life, why take a chance with some <deleted> it has been treated with.  

15 hours ago, Mops59 said:

Tap water is generally ok to drink...filter systems are just over 1,000 baht from any DIY or Lotus etc if you really need one

3 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Drinking water hehe.

I used water from one of those big 18 liter white bottles to wash my mixer container. Just put water inside, and gave it a whirl before mixing my sauce. I looked inside the carafe, and saw bubbles on top of the water. So I thought it was not washed clean before. So I dumped that water, and started again. Same thing. Just like soap bubbles on top.

So I ordered the blue 18 liter bottles, which re more expensive, and purer I would presume. Gave a whirl to that water. Same bubbles on top.

So I ordered some blue bottles from another supplier. Same.

I did try of course water from Nestle smaller bottles. As clear as it can get, no bubbles there.

I tried small bottles from the large bottle suppliers, same size as Nestle pure, but with that supplier's logo. Bubbles would form on top.

I use Nestle for everything now... (HKT)

No bubbles in my 5 litre refills as the water IS treated, they collect and return MY bottles.  

The problem with the large green, white, clear though sort of green bottles is that they have been elsewhere before you receive them and, you have no idea how they have been used or stored.   Often have algae in the bottom as not cleaned / cleaned properly.

I get through a 5 litre bottle a day minimum for drinking and cooking only.

9 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Most of Bangkok's water is treated and safe - leaving the plants. However, there is a slight problem with the delivery of the water. Beside deteriorated pipes, every hillbilly laborer will tap into the system using whatever method the dream up on the spot. 

Cleaning out my mother-in-law's roof mounted water tank, we've come across all sorts of debris, including a number of cellophane wrappers. 

Did you find any nematodes ?

6 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

There's a very simple answer to that question - cost is prohibitive, desalination uses a lot of power to produce clean water, plus the costs of the plant = nobody could afford to purchase the end product.