Synthetic sausage casings? Cumberland Sausages

Firstly anyone know where you can source synthetic sausage casings in Thailand / Isaan?

Does Makro stock them? Not really interested in the natural ones here

Thinking of having a crack at making some sausages. I don't like an over spicy /  herby sausage. Just a subtle back flavour but essentially pure pork.

I'm thinking (from what I have read) Teaspoon Mace, sage, nutmeg...salt and pepper, maybe a few garlic cloves. I believe you don't need to use crumbs in Cumberlands... but maybe a cup per kilo?

Any help or pointers in the right direction appreciated 

I used to make my own Italian and breakfast sausages in China.  At first, I used natural casings and a sausage stuffer.  Later, I found out the casings weren't really needed at all if I was cooking them myself as opposed to selling them in a market.  I was just frying them up in little patties anyway.

Edited by impulse

Lazada have both natural & synthetic casings available.

When I first started making my own sausages I used synthetic casings but later changed to natural casings.

The difference is quite major.

Even after pricking them the synthetic casings split very easily when you are cooking them and the twists (joins) that you add to make the sausages individual come undone.

Also, the synthetic casings have the plastic type texture that you find on the skins of 7-11 hot dog sausages.

It really is worth using the natural casings and steering clear of the synthetic casings.

A good recipe for Cumberland's:

1kg mince

5 tsp sage

2 tsp salt

1 tsp white pepper

5g nutmeg

100g rusk

Tip:

The rusk needs to be mixed with water before adding the other ingredients.

Watch a few YouTube videos about homemade sausage making before trying it yourself.

To make the rusk:

Ingredients:

• 450 g all purpose flour

• a pinch of salt

• 5 tspns baking powder

• 185 -250 ml water

Method:

Pre heat oven at 230°C

Mix dry ingredient into a bowl

Start adding the water to make a dough

Roll out dough and put on the baking tray

Put in the oven for 10 minutes

Drop oven heat to 190°C

Cut pastry into ½” strips

Put in the oven for another 10 minutes

Check if dry enough, if not give then an extra 5 to 10 minutes

Leave the dough to cool down in the oven

Blitz in the blender.

Post up a few pictures of your creations before you eat them all. ????

• Like 1

I eat the Thai / Isaan sausages here sometimes and the natural casings are great but I bought some before and really turned me off. They tasted strongly of bleach and impossible to tell how old they were. I really wouldn't enjoy eating them to be honest. Stupid I know but...By the way how is it possible to clean them? You would just about need to get a brush inside and give them a pull through.

They advertise collagen casings on Lazada but all from China. And it is a bit of a waste of time ordering from there at the moment.

As far as rusk goes...breadcrumbs no good? I was really hoping to avoid any filler if possible. By the way, had an Italian friend back home told me the secret to great Italian meatballs or rissoles is to soak normal bread in milk. Only a bit of milk just to dampen it and leave it sit for 30 mins or so. Really makes a difference to consistency, don't know what the milk actually does but makes a huge difference.

What about mace? I don't even know what Mace smells or tastes like but a lot of people make sausages say its a must

3 hours ago, impulse said:

I used to make my own Italian and breakfast sausages in China.  At first, I used natural casings and a sausage stuffer.  Later, I found out the casings weren't really needed at all if I was cooking them myself as opposed to selling them in a market.  I was just frying them up in little patties anyway.

Good idea. I would still like to have them in a sausage shape. I wonder best way to achieve that without a mould? I saw a silly little sausage mould on Lazada but expensive for what it was 

1 hour ago, Tingtong2mut said:

I eat the Thai / Isaan sausages here sometimes and the natural casings are great but I bought some before and really turned me off. They tasted strongly of bleach and impossible to tell how old they were. I really wouldn't enjoy eating them to be honest. Stupid I know but...By the way how is it possible to clean them? You would just about need to get a brush inside and give them a pull through.

They advertise collagen casings on Lazada but all from China. And it is a bit of a waste of time ordering from there at the moment.

As far as rusk goes...breadcrumbs no good? I was really hoping to avoid any filler if possible. By the way, had an Italian friend back home told me the secret to great Italian meatballs or rissoles is to soak normal bread in milk. Only a bit of milk just to dampen it and leave it sit for 30 mins or so. Really makes a difference to consistency, don't know what the milk actually does but makes a huge difference.

What about mace? I don't even know what Mace smells or tastes like but a lot of people make sausages say its a must

First of all. Grumpy John has a thread. Home Style Bacon - yummo on here. Topic got round to Sausages !

I made my first sausages a couple of weeks ago and commented on his thread.

I bought fresh casings from the wet market 50 baht a kilo.

i cleaned the outsides first which was easy. You have to turn them inside out then. You do this by turning over the end by about 2 inches and then insert the turned opening over a water tap. As the water flows the force pulls the whole length inside out I used 5 ft lengths. Then scrape the casing with the back of a knife. Rinse and then soak in salt water until required in a fridge. Rinse the salt out before use.

Google ‘Cleaning Hog casings’. Lots of videos

Good Luck.

1 hour ago, Tingtong2mut said:

By the way how is it possible to clean them?

I soak mine for about an hour and then rinse them, never had any bleach taste. 

breadcrumbs no good?

Breadcrumbs would probably work, I used rusk as I wanted to get the consistency/taste of mine as close to butcher made Cumberland sausages.

What about mace?

Mace is the made from the outer case of the nutmeg seed, so the taste is similar.

As such, nutmeg can be used in the place of mace but you .

Please note that mace is hard to find in Thailand, I use mace for other recipes and I had to get mine online.

Edited by Bert got kinky

2 hours ago, Tingtong2mut said:

As far as rusk goes...breadcrumbs no good?

One of the purposes of the rusk is to soak up the fat as the sausages cook, leaving them nice and juicy.  Breadcrumbs wouldn't do as good a job (unless you're talking about the dried, orange ones sold in boxes, or panko).  You also wouldn't get the same dense texture.

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Please note that mace is hard to find in Thailand, I use mace for other recipes and I had to get mine online.

I was at Makro about an hour ago and they have bags and bags of mace, big bag 130 baht in their spice section. Their spices are as cheap as. What you pay for a big bag of Oregano, Sage etc about the same as what you would pay for a little McCormacks jar. The Mace is in it's raw ungorund form so you would need to grind it up. After a bit of research and seeing as I wont be using much I opted for nutmeg.

I'm going to pretty much follow your recipe but add half a grated onion and a clove of garlic, and back off on the Sage a couple of spoons. Might add some Paprika, chilli flakes and black pepper. Wanted Cayenne but can't seem to find it in Makro.  I have decided to make them skinless so I bought a piping bag from the bakery supply shop and I will just pump them out onto a tray on parchment paper and freeze them like that. Looking forward to testing the results ???? Will check back

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tingtong2mut said:

Actually shipments from China are getting here just about as fast as normal in my limited experience.  Might be a couple of days longer but not always.

Made a batch today and sorry I put the grated onion in. Gave it a bit of a rissole flavour. Were a little mushy inside and cooked them a fair while. Nice and crusty on the outside. I have found some of the Thai made pork sausages they sell in Makro mushy no matter how long you cook them. My mix had no liquid in it apart from a little water to soak the panko, but only damp. Maybe thats the difference between using breadcrumbs and rusk? Like them to have a firm texture inside.

I bought all of my casings from B.O.T. (not Bank Of Thailand).   Just google B.O.T. sausage casings.  They also have curring salts and smoke flavoring.

• 5 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 7:34 AM, Bert got kinky said:

Lazada have both natural & synthetic casings available.

When I first started making my own sausages I used synthetic casings but later changed to natural casings.

The difference is quite major.

Even after pricking them the synthetic casings split very easily when you are cooking them and the twists (joins) that you add to make the sausages individual come undone.

Also, the synthetic casings have the plastic type texture that you find on the skins of 7-11 hot dog sausages.

It really is worth using the natural casings and steering clear of the synthetic casings.

A good recipe for Cumberland's:

1kg mince

5 tsp sage

2 tsp salt

1 tsp white pepper

5g nutmeg

100g rusk

Tip:

The rusk needs to be mixed with water before adding the other ingredients.

Watch a few YouTube videos about homemade sausage making before trying it yourself.

To make the rusk:

Ingredients:

• 450 g all purpose flour

• a pinch of salt

• 5 tspns baking powder

• 185 -250 ml water

Method:

Pre heat oven at 230°C

Mix dry ingredient into a bowl

Start adding the water to make a dough

Roll out dough and put on the baking tray

Put in the oven for 10 minutes

Drop oven heat to 190°C

Cut pastry into ½” strips

Put in the oven for another 10 minutes

Check if dry enough, if not give then an extra 5 to 10 minutes

Leave the dough to cool down in the oven

Blitz in the blender.

Post up a few pictures of your creations before you eat them all. ????

A bit belated but I was wondering what you do with the rusk strips after cooking and cooling. Do you blitz them and make a crumb after the strips have cooled or just wet and break up the strips? I see in some of the videos after they do everything and make the final mix they knead the whole mixture for some time. Do you think it is necesary?

Edited by Kenny202