Dengue outbreak kills 2, sickens more than 1,000 in Korat

snoop1130

Dengue outbreak kills 2, sickens more than 1,000 in Korat

By The Nation

800_7cfb569b4ed4f07.jpg

An outbreak of dengue fever in Nakhon Ratchasima province has killed two people and sickened more than 1,000 residents since January 1, the local health chief said today (May 26).

Dr Narinrat Pitchayakamin, chief of the Nakhon Ratchasima Public Health Office, said the dengue outbreak remained worrisome after 1,037 confirmed cases and a second death recently. The latest victim of the mosquito-borne disease was a 16-year-old boy who also had thalassemia, a blood-thinning condition that can worsen the symptoms of dengue haemorrhagic fever.

Narinrat warned residents to rid their properties of any rainwater trapped during the wet season, as this acted as a breeding ground for mosquitos.

Nakhon Ratchasima Health officials have also been spraying communities in the province with insecticide in a bid to stem the contagion.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388543

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-26

• Sad 1

This is what I just read about Dengue in Th.;

Through May 5 this year, Thai officials have reported 10,938 dengue fever cases, including nine deaths.

Provinces reporting the highest incidence include Rayong, Chaiyaphum, Ang Thong, Khon Kaen and Nakhon Ratchasima.

Edited by Tarteso

33 minutes ago, Paiman said:

We could go fluently from one emergency decree to the next one. Someone smart up there might see the chance. And all for the wellbeing of the population.

Yes that is true Paiman..... I can only tell you that in Australia the only thing that stops it being the Number 1 problem is the fact of the sparse population ---- The size of America with the population of New York----dengue fever is past by the mosquito infecting 1 person by biting  2 people, it has a short life so the numbers are smaller, but no cure in sight for this and in a closely populated country it could wreck havoc.

5 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

Why can't they find a vaccine or medicine for Dengue for years? decades?
but for covid they are sure they will find in a few / several months..

No effort was made to find a vaccine against SARS.

What about Ebola? Nothing for years.

And still with covid-19 they don't work together but against each other in a race to have the first vaccine against covid-19.

That's the whole reason why it takes so long.

They should put the 20 best scientists from around the globe in 1 lab and tell them you can't leave that lab until you have a vaccine.

• Like 1

I once knew a bodybuilder , a tall , strong guy .

Proud of his body , he did several hours of training a day ... until he literally got knocked out by a mosquito that gave him Dengue .

He just survived , but never was the same anymore ...

12 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

No effort was made to find a vaccine against SARS.

What about Ebola? Nothing for years.

And still with covid-19 they don't work together but against each other in a race to have the first vaccine against covid-19.

That's the whole reason why it takes so long.

They should put the 20 best scientists from around the globe in 1 lab and tell them you can't leave that lab until you have a vaccine.

Corona Viruses constantly mutate into new strains , what makes it more difficult to find a vaccine or even a treatment against them .

17 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

As an Australian who has lived with this ----believe me this worse than covid19........its bad <deleted>

Yep, It's Bad. Had it living in Innisfail long time ago. Nocked me off my feet for more than a week and it took Months to get back to nearly normal. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, marqus12 said:

Why can't they find a vaccine or medicine for Dengue for years? decades?
but for covid they are sure they will find in a few / several months..

There are  some vaccines. Problem is they are only about 60% effective at best and even that reduces the older a person is.

Several variants as  well. I have had dengue twice during the last  20 years.

I also had Dengue Fever 2 years ago. I was relatively fit due to the nature of my work at the time. 188cm tall and weighed between 105 to 110 Kg. All of a sudden, I was not feeling right. Tired and sluggish also. My Conditioned worsened over the next 10 days. I went to the Hospital with my Lady and was diagnosed with Dengue Fever. I was placed on powerful antibiotics and spent 3 days in Hospital. My lady spent 3 days sleeping near the Ward only going home briefly to shower etc. and came back to be with me. Wow, laying in that bed, I actually though my number is up. However, by the end of the third day, I was cleared to go home. I was given a sack of medicine to take at Home and was told if a relapse occurred, return to the Hospital ASAP. I, however did not have a relapse after finishing all the prescribed drugs. To this day, my weight has been continuously at 95Kg. I no longer am able to continue my line of work which involved extreme activity. Just can't do it anymore. So in ending, Dengue Fever is no joke. There is treatment but no cure. Everyone take any precaution you can against moskies. My Lady shooes me into the House around 6 pm each evening as she fears the moskies will come out.  Be careful not sorry.

21 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

Great...another reason for mass hysteria.

There is a vaccine for Dengue, its called mosquito repellent. Use it.

Mate you are so right. I had one guy  say to me but the virus is more deadly than dengue because you can translate from 1 human being to another. That is correct. But dengue is translated by mozzies and Thailand has Millions of them and last time I looked they are still flying free and they tend to land on humans and inject them with the virus. The hysteria around the virus is just crazy Get the population scared and you can do anything with them More [people have died from dengue than from the virus. Two more just have died. But do we see the mass hysteria about them dying NOI Dengue Kills about 600 Thais per year

Better isolate the province just in case and put mosquito netting around the borders so none escape. As I have posted in the past in excess of 1 million people die from mosquito bites worldwide every year but they do not close countries down because of mosquito's so why are we closed down now???  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, smiggley said:

Better isolate the province just in case and put mosquito netting around the borders so none escape. As I have posted in the past in excess of 1 million people die from mosquito bites worldwide every year but they do not close countries down because of mosquito's so why are we closed down now???  

govt. control