฿2000 electricity refund?

HauptmannUK

My wife owns a couple of properties in Thailand, including a house near Udon. We are stuck in UK right now and her sister is looking after the house in Udon.  Sister claims that there is an online form somewhere that my wife can complete to claim a ฿2000 bill refund payment from the Provincial Electricity Authority (note - this is not the meter deposit refund).

I have not been able to find such a form. Is there such a scheme?

She has received bills of around ฿500/month since New Year. No free electricity.

Edited by HauptmannUK

2 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

I had about 200 units deducted of my May bill. Saved me 900 Baht.

Btw. They also gave a 3% discount.

Pattaya.

Which is what CharlieH was alluding to in the post above yours.......

Been more than a couple of threads on this.

Well, went to pay my electric bill for two months (last month I tried to pay by an APP but it was the wrong APP). Anyway, last month my bill was 3599 baht ... it was reduced to 2504 baht. The current bill was 3924 baht ... reduced to 2612 baht. A savings of 2407 baht = about $75.22 USD. Yes that makes a difference felt on my monthly budget.

Bill this month is what it is but capped at February's bill; anything over February's reading is reduced (deducted) in units from May's bill to bring it to Febs level, if it is more, which it was.

We applied for the other refund online. I didn't do it as it was in Thai. I  got someone else to do it. They paid us just over 5k.

Pretty generous really.

Edited by maprao
Spelling

There is the deposit return which varies by the size of your meter.

There is also a discount being taken off of bills right now but it is only for the 5w meters.  I don't get it because I have a 15W meter.

It will be listed on your bill.

Edited by rwill

4 minutes ago, rwill said:

I don't get it because I have a 15W meter.

There is a 3% discount for everyone and for others with the 15 amp meter there is another discount if usage above that in February.  So most people are getting something even if they may have to wait a bit and have deducted from next bill.

On 5/26/2020 at 6:37 PM, CharlieH said:

To the best of my knowledge the current "refunds" are automatic and applied directly to the bill as its generated, it is not something you "claim".

The only "claim" I am aware of is the meter deposit as you have stated.

Glad you're here Charlie.

As you will remember, we both paid our bills online last month, and nothing was reduced in contrast to the massive reductions other got.

So we assumed that we would get the discount in the next bill.

My May bill arrived last week, and again there was no massive discount, so I called PEA and asked.

It was explained to me that 3% was deducted from my current and previous bill, as with everyone else..

My usage this month was 776 kWh and I got a discount of 104.50 Baht

So where all those TVF members got 50% discounts on the total of their bills, is a mystery to me.

Your experience may be different, and if so I would like to hear about.

Edit: I have a 45/100 meter and my own transformer

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

February bill is the baseline.

If you used more units this month, you get a discount of half the extra units.

If you used the same as February, no extra discount.

I used 260 units in Feb, and 460 units this month ....... so extra 100 unit discount for me.

The winners are people with air-con.

I think I read somewhere that this only applies to users who used less than 400 kWh in February. My usage in February was 650 kWh

So you got 100 kWh for free, which is approx 350 Baht, still doesn't explain the thousands other got

Edited by Susco

Well I am left confused because there appears to be no discounts or credits applied to the bills for the house in Udon. No meter refund either.  I have photos of the bills and can see the amounts online also.  Unfortunately the wife's sister is a very unreliable source of information.  The bills are small (c.฿600/month) but my wife would walk 10 miles barefoot in blazing sun for a free ฿20 note so she is tormented by the idea that she's losing out..

We have a savvy Thai friend making further enquiries at the PEA office..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I think I read somewhere that this only applies to users who used less than 400 kWh in February. My usage in February was 650 kWh

So you got 100 kWh for free, which is approx 350 Baht, still doesn't explain the thousands other got

It was more than that, my bill for 460 units was 1,111bht.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It was more than that, my bill for 460 units was 1,111bht.

The price per unit increases by the volume. I pay 4.35 Baht per unit, but for 460 units the price is lower.

If you look at a bill it is also quite confusing.

I have a base price, then some addition of 312 bBaht, on which I get a discount of 90 Baht,

Then there is 7% VAT and on the total I get a final discount of 104 Baht

Edited by Susco

On 5/26/2020 at 6:37 PM, CharlieH said:

To the best of my knowledge the current "refunds" are automatic and applied directly to the bill as its generated, it is not something you "claim".

The only "claim" I am aware of is the meter deposit as you have stated.

That is how I have found it.

11 minutes ago, Susco said:

Your bill was 260 units in February, by your own words, and the February bill is what the discount is based on

Haven't a clue what's going on .... you work it out!

Bill seems to say 202 unit discount = same as Feb bill.

I'm certainly happy enough with the result.

IMG_20200527_205938.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, Susco said:

To me that looks as if you get charged for the same usage as you had in February, which was 287 units, and get an extra 3% on the total

We have a winner! I think :thumbsup:

I had a strange reduction on my February bill which the lady in the PEA office could not explain. My May bill was reduced back to the number of units used in February at the normal rate then a 3% reduction.

However this depends on your overall number of units used - there were some limitations.

One of the threads was here (and MEA different to PEA)

My question is am I due any reductions for March/April and are there any reductions going forward - IE the June bill? 

I was expecting bill of aprox 2,000 Bt.. came in at 500.. so was happy..  and paid it... Then I talked to a friend form Khon Kaen.. he got a bill for 2,500... his wife took it to the electricity office and they didn't charge her anything..  Looks like at depends a bit on your local office..    Also.. I'm not completely sure how it works but apparently for a house with a 5 amp service it is free.. 10 and 15 amp service get discounts but I don't know just how much it is supposed to be..   Best to pay your bill at the electricity office.. I think.. 

10 hours ago, Susco said:

I have a 45/100 meter and my own transformer

This could be a clue, the discounts apply only to the normal domestic tariffs. Move away from the regular single-phase 220V supply and all bets are off. It's worth talking to your local PEA office to check.

To clarify the discounts:-

• Use under 800 units and your bill will be capped at the February level for 3 months (still not clear which 3 months, our first discounted bill was 17th May).
  • Use between 800 and 3000 units and you get a 50% discount on units used over and above what you used in February.
  • Over 3000 units and the discount is 30% on units used over and above what you used in February.

There's a 3% discount applied to the total too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's worth talking to your local PEA office to check.

Yes I think so, because the mystery get bigger.

My usage over the last 12 months has been between 755 and 823 units.

My February usage was 650 units, which is already very suspicious low, but on top of that I got 50..64 units deducted and paid only for 599.36 units