Songkhla’s famed walking street prepares to reopen

Songkhla’s famed walking street prepares to reopen

By THE NATION

800_8f0f79991aaf092.jpg

Songkhla city will reopen its walking street on June 5, more than two months after it was closed on March 20 as part of coronavirus lockdown restrictions.

The Songkhla Tae Raek Walking Street on Chana Road will be open on Fridays and Saturdays from 5pm to 10pm.

Mayor Somsak Tantiserani said that city authorities had already called a meeting with traders on the street to discuss measures to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388548?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-26

11 hours ago, Stocky said:

'famed' is pushing it a bit!

Yes, "famed" might be pushing it but it for me was a nice evening's entertainment, and the locals seemed to enjoy it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, impulse said:

It may not be famed with western tourists, but it is a delightful throwback that reminds me of the street parties and county fairs I grew up with in the '60s back home.  Along with the Sunday Flea Market right around the corner, it's a great way to spend a weekend.  One of my favorite weekend getaways from BKK.  (Kanchanaburi being my favorite, mostly because of proximity)

Then, it's on to Samila Beach for some people watching on one of the best manicured beaches in Thailand.  Throw in an occasional event like a marathon or a 10K, drift racing, etc, and Songkhla is a great place.  That's why it's so popular with Malaysian and (dare I mention) Chinese tourists.

(And before anyone chimes in about the "insurgency", that's in Songkhla Province, generally far away from Songkhla, the fishing village.)

For us far enough Pattani is 91 K from the city of Songkhla.

So the crowds are allowed back into busy markets but I cannot go to a quiet bar and have a beer with my mate, go figure. There are a lot of ladies and vendors in Pattaya on the poverty line because the bars are still closed.