BANGKOK

Why would they not accept the letter from the bank?

They must have given you a reason.

Why do you not have a bank book?

You must have.

Funds are in a fixed deposit-in foreign currency-interest is just added to balance,so never had nor needed a bank book

I'm guessing that since they had never done it this way there first instinct is to just reject it

Had to do a run to bank and transfer funds from fixed account to savings with a bank book

Took a hit as exchange rates are not good at the moment

Just glad of the amnesty  so I have time to season the funds

The girls at the bank couldn't believe the letter would be rejected

Logically WHAT is the difference between a fixed deposit and a savings account

Just saying so other folks don't run up against the same difficulties

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually other than that -the girls at immigration were really helpfull

And only; 1 other other person there the whole time 

Good time to go-IF you have everything in order

Its best to read carefully the requirements and follow them. Thousands dont have any problem.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, bbudd said:

Funds are in a fixed deposit-in foreign currency-interest is just added to balance,so never had nor needed a bank book

Just glad of the amnesty  so I have time to season the funds

Glad they are letting you do an extension of your annual stay during the "free amnesty" auto-extension period.  I assume they said they would do this, so you don't have to go out for a new visa and start over.  This is not the first case of this reported, so appears to be a top-down directive - at least in some immigration-districts.

The girls at the bank couldn't believe the letter would be rejected

Logically WHAT is the difference between a fixed deposit and a savings account

Just saying so other folks don't run up against the same difficulties

There isn't a difference.  Of course they would be surprised, because you meet the Official Requirement exactly - having "400K In Your Name for 2 months prior to applying for the extension."  Nothing is in the regulations about "account must include a bank book."  The certified bank-statement clearly meets the definition.  Messing with you over the "pictures" makes their intent with this tactic clear; it's not about "if you really qualify" - it never is.

After your successful application later, let us know if they force to to "re-show the money" when you go to get your final stamp - thus breaking the rules again (as done at Chiang Wattana and other offices), by adding another month to the 2 months required.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any chance you could post a link to "Official Published Requirements"

I've just been following along here on Thai Visa to posted requirements

28 minutes ago, bbudd said:

Any chance you could post a link to "Official Published Requirements"

None exists. It varies by office.

28 minutes ago, bbudd said:

I've just been following along here on Thai Visa to posted requirements

Wanting the 4 X 6 cm photo for the TM7 to be with you wearing a shirt and tie is way over the top. I don't recall any office requiring that.

Not accepting a selfie of you and your wife is not new. They want the photo to show the room you are in. I have done them by putting my tablet on something and using the timer to do the photo.

I have been using photo paper for a few years now since they look better. I have used plain paper in the past though.

For the account problem you had it not unusual that they would want at least a statement showing your balance for the past 2 months. I doubt the bank letter showed anything more than the balance on the day you applied.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bbudd said:

Just returned from Immigration Mae Sai

Was attempting to get extension based on marrige

There a little picky in there requirements up there

Thanks for this information, all going well I'll be using that office later in the year. Either that or Chiang Rai, I think they are a similar distance from our home.

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Nothing is in the regulations about "account must include a bank book."

As far as I'm aware, all Immigration Offices are now providing the same/similar list (written in Thai)when being asked what documents are required. Several different posters have posted the list from their own area. The bank book is definitely on the list.

Below is my translated list list from Si Racha:

Marriage ext documents required at Si Racha.pdf

Actually the certified letter from the bank clearly stated the balance (over 400,000B) and that it had been untouched in the account for longer than required 2 months

Not sure exactly what the hangup was except there was no accompanying bankbook

Now the funds are in a savings account complete with accompanying bankbook waiting now for 2 months "seasoning"

I realize that what they ask for is totally at the discretion of the immigration office,so please be aware of what they want in Mae Sai and save yourself any confusion

Thanks for translation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bbudd said:

Actually the certified letter from the bank clearly stated the balance (over 400,000B) and that it had been untouched in the account for longer than required 2 months

Not sure exactly what the hangup was except there was no accompanying bankbook

Now the funds are in a savings account complete with accompanying bankbook waiting now for 2 months "seasoning"

I realize that what they ask for is totally at the discretion of the immigration office,so please be aware of what they want in Mae Sai and save yourself any confusion

Thanks for translation.

According to the list I was given the bank book, and copies, must be produced.

The list is the same everywhere, but of course, as you inferred, the individual IO's interpretation is sometimes debatable.😒

For example, I have three UK pensions, one state and two private, and when I renewed my pension in February that initially caused a problem. In Thai the rules say pension (they don't just add an 's' to mean more than one as we do in English) and because there is no direct explanation in those rules that more than one form of income can be added together the IO INITIALLY INSISTED I could only use one of my pensions in the application. A kind supervisor from Jomtien Immigration came to my rescue and phoned the IO at Si Racha directly to explain the rules to her. No problem after that.  Thank you Jomtien 😀

8 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Its best to read carefully the requirements and follow them. Thousands dont have any problem.

Looks like the op did just that and still got pulled up. The trouble is that thousands do have a problem because of different interpretation of the rules at various offices.