International flight carry-on restrictions?

dddave

A friend will be flying Lufthansa from BKK to Chicago, via Frankfurt, departing Thursday, May 28.  It will be a 35 hour journey.  Information regarding food and personal carry-on items is conflicting, confusing. and hard to come by.   Please respond only if you know the answers to the questions for certain.

Will he be allowed a carry-on bag?    If yes; will any food items or water be permitted?

Is there food, bottled water available AIRSIDE at BKK?

Are any kind of meals or snacks being provided on international flights?

He has an 8 hour layover at Frankfurt.  Are any food facilities open airside.  How about pay by the hour transit lounges or hotels?

Any helpful information welcome

11 hours ago, dimitriv said:

If you want to be sure about carry on bags and food in the airplane I would call the airline... Much better than asking here. 

Thanks for the Boots suggestion.   Believe me, he has spent hours trying to get through to Lufthansa.  Nothing but recorded messages.  The one person he did talk to said she would call back...never did.

16 hours ago, dddave said:

Will he be allowed a carry-on bag?    If yes; will any food items or water be permitted?

Is there food, bottled water available AIRSIDE at BKK?

Are any kind of meals or snacks being provided on international flights?

I'm not aware of any agreed international rules yet, so it will depend on individual countries and airlines.

On another forum I saw an e-mail two days ago that Emirates had sent one BM there who has an upcoming flight. As well as the things you'd expect like wearing face masks for the duration, you also had to provide your own gloves and there was NO carry-on baggage allowed.

This morning I saw this report on a business class flight from London to New York via Amsterdam. No booze, even in business, and just a bag of snacks and some water to keep you going for the flight. Of course, Bangkok to Frankfurt is a longer flight than Amsterdam to New York, so they may be more generous, and Lufthansa is not KLM.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-8357653/Frequent-flyer-reveals-like-fly-business-Heathrow-NYC-Covid-19-crisis.html

You need to ask the airline if you really want to know.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

I have seen that most International Airlines have a "Covid-19" section in their websites which contains the type of information you are looking for.

..which in Lufthansa's case can be found at:

https://www.lufthansa.com/th/en/flight-information

Looks like the OP's pal will be OK with hand luggage, provided that he only has 1 item.

• Thanks 1

RTL was showing on Monday  a report on a Lufthansa flight filmed with a hidden camera. Check in, distancing OK, wear mask, hand bag allowed. Inside the plane, no more distancing possible. All seats available, also in a 3 seat row. During flight many passengers put away their masks. (In the meantime Lufthansa announced that masks are required at all times.)

• Like 1

my wife was flying bkk-Fra with Lufthansa

just 3 days ago:

carry-on baggage allowed

no special regulations for food or water

meals and snacks provided as usual (although Lufthansa serves really <deleted> food) 

food facilities should be open, but I cannot guarantee. but in general restaurants are open in germany

hope I could help

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lounges are closed world wide. I’m sure some sort of food/snack and water will  be served on long haul flights ?  As precaution take some vitamin bars they sell in health shops, even supermarkets and chemists. Only one cabin bag. 

2 hours ago, PeachCH said:

RTL was showing on Monday  a report on a Lufthansa flight filmed with a hidden camera. Check in, distancing OK, wear mask, hand bag allowed. Inside the plane, no more distancing possible. All seats available, also in a 3 seat row. During flight many passengers put away their masks. (In the meantime Lufthansa announced that masks are required at all times.)

Yeah lots of BS about not providing any normal flight amenities and food but the airlines can cram you in with no social distancing and charge premium rates. Airlines pulling the p*ss. Make your mind up airlines....look after your clients.

7 hours ago, DaLa said:

Can't advise what is open airside at Swampy, however the facilities I always use there are way down in the basement at B1 FL.  This is where the Airport Rail link runs from.  Beer, food, snacks, sticking plasters everything probably including bar fines is half price down there.

And critically currency exchange rates are far better down there.

Relevance to OP?

10 hours ago, geisha said:

Lounges are closed world wide. I’m sure some sort of food/snack and water will  be served on long haul flights ?  As precaution take some vitamin bars they sell in health shops, even supermarkets and chemists. Only one cabin bag. 

Nope, Left Swampy on may  11th, Business lounge as open, Flew to Inchon Korea, Lounge also. on to Atlanta, business lounge open.

All flights had Hot meals  and Booze. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Guderian said:

Read yesterday that Emirates isn’t allowing any carry one,. Probably best to check with airline their using...

13 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Read yesterday that Emirates isn’t allowing any carry one,. Probably best to check with airline their using...

That's not quite correct.  They are allowing laptop bags or similar, it's just the larger/rollaboard type bags that are no longer allowed in the cabin.

20 hours ago, VBF said:

Saw this today https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2020/05/emirates-flies-with-new-safety-standards/

It is NOT  as yet reflected on the Emirates official site but if it's accurate shows what a GOOD airline / airport can achieve.

It's pretty much a cut and paste of what Emirates released last week.  Even the pictures are from there.

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-sets-industry-leading-safety-standard-for-customers-travelling-as-it-resumes-operations/

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2020 at 6:24 PM, Pushbiker said:

my wife was flying bkk-Fra with Lufthansa

just 3 days ago:

carry-on baggage allowed

no special regulations for food or water

meals and snacks provided as usual (although Lufthansa serves really <deleted> food) 

food facilities should be open, but I cannot guarantee. but in general restaurants are open in germany

hope I could help

Great first hand info.  Thanks

On 5/27/2020 at 12:15 PM, dddave said:

Thanks for the Boots suggestion.   Believe me, he has spent hours trying to get through to Lufthansa.  Nothing but recorded messages.  The one person he did talk to said she would call back...never did.

What about the Lufthansa website?