Are there any rules regarding where and when you can go fishing in Thai rivers/canals?

We'll the boredom of staring at staring at four walls for 2 months has finally got to me, I really need to get out and about. Unfortunately where I live there are few places to go for a stroll unless you want to walk along a main road and choke to death on vehicle fumes. Parks are few and far between here. So, what we do have are a river and several canals and I have rods etc. However, I'm not sure whether sitting on a bank anywhere is permitted. Obviously it is not permitted near monastery/temple sites but what about elsewhere? Any info would be appreciated.

As long as it is not an obvious "Pay for Fishing" park, I would just go for it. I have NEVER heard of anyone getting busted for fishing, possibly on the premise that while you are fishing you are not burgling or jacking someone,s car ????

Edited by phantomfiddler
slight error

I haven't seen any fishing regulations, except for not being able to use explosives or electrocution. Up here in Isan I have had very little luck fishing in local ponds, lakes and even the Mekong. The application of nets is prolific, and even though the net fishermen are supposed to mark the positions of their nets with plastic ribbon, that never happens, so getting snagged in nets is fairly common.

The other problem I have seen is that as the fish stocks are becoming depleted, the local fishermen have moved to smaller and smaller net sizes, until they are catching the fry and further depleting the stock. There are a fair amount of the pay fishing ponds, and I have gone to a few, they are pretty spotty depending on how they are managed. If they just released a bunch of fish from the pens you do o.k., if not they charge you to fish but you catch nothing.

I have however gone to an upclass private fishing lake that the owner had stocked with rare fish from many different countries, including some record size predator fish, while it was not cheap, it was a blast!

Hopefully you'll do better than I have maybe the canals are the key!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Deli said:

As long as it is not in a National Park, fisahing in rivers and canals has no limitations.

Not true, I was removed by police from a stretch of river near Nongkhai

• Confused 2

I have fished many local streams, ponds and a small river around Si Khui area in between Pak Chong and Korat. None have been very good but it's always a quiet and pleasurable way to spend a few hours, locals eat everything caught to fish stocks are not good. Never been a problem fishing those areas but I asked if ok if I was near a property. Day ticket commercial fisheries around here are a little better and usually more comfortable. Best fishing is at the proper fishing parks that are well organised and are well stocked with quality fish but that is a lot of traveling for me, there are none local as far as I am aware of.

Once fished in Chiang mai, ordered in hotel. Picked up by German ! in his car and took me to pond.

Everything was there, like a rod and even a Thai guider, helping you out.

The fish really liked to bite, food in and then almost immediately a bite.

All asian carps and they really like to fight as well.  IMG_1138.jpg.7c8fb95b99d7eb96b9ca630d5f0deb99.jpg

In our area, with some great really crystal clear water ways  I was fairly forcefully advised 

by the family to take a Thai with me always which I do (the 12 year old nephew) 

The fish never go to waste & it is good fun

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 6:50 AM, xtrnuno41 said:

Once fished in Chiang mai, ordered in hotel. Picked up by German ! in his car and took me to pond.

Everything was there, like a rod and even a Thai guider, helping you out.

The fish really liked to bite, food in and then almost immediately a bite.

All asian carps and they really like to fight as well.  IMG_1138.jpg.7c8fb95b99d7eb96b9ca630d5f0deb99.jpg

Do all Asian Carp swim upside down?