combo method Jomtien

Looking to hear from those that have used the combo (income and bank balance) method recently at Jomtien

Is it still accepted and (just briefly) what was involved

I have a bankbook fully updated showing FTT (foreign Transfers) for 12 months just slightly below the 65k requirement so need to show a bank balance also for the rest for 2 months - not an issue either as I kept my balance well above the 400k requirement all year

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know the are accepting them if you have a year or more of transfers to show.

cheers Joe

would still like to hear from someone who recently went through the process 

34 minutes ago, smedly said:

cheers Joe

would still like to hear from someone who recently went through the process 

I posted a thread asking a similar question in the last 6 months and i recall one before mine and no one said they'd done Combo method at Jomtien

I must say that although I am seeking to use the combo method, I am using an agent to do the leg work. This agent does not supply a 800K bung, nor, as far as I can tell, tries to circumvent that requirement. so we shall see.   

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I must say that although I am seeking to use the combo method, I am using an agent to do the leg work. This agent does not supply a 800K bung, nor, as far as I can tell, tries to circumvent that requirement. so we shall see.   

how much are they charging, should be about 4kbaht if you meet all the financials

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The agent should know whether this method will work, they usually like to do the 800k method

He didn't seem to think that there will be a problem, we will see. 

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

He didn't seem to think that there will be a problem, we will see. 

Good idea though, for the first year get the agent to smooth the way with the combo method, then next year you could do it yourself easy enough

• Like 2

Jomtien will require two bank letters - one confirming the account & balance (the same one as those using 800k in bank must provide). The other should show the foreign deposits to the account for the previous 12 months. The first mentioned dated the day of application (they may accept the day before if you go in to apply before banks open).  The second mentioned can be a few days before.  Also, you will need to show your bank book with a transaction entered on the day you apply, e.g. withdrawal of one hundred baht. 

This is also what they require if using the 65k per month method rather than the combo method (I use the 65k income method) and when I did my extension last year, I initially had certified bank statements from Bangkok Bank for the period -- this was not accepted, they wanted the bank letter listing the deposits - the IO gave me a sample letter and said I should go to branch where I opened my account as other branches could only provide 6 months of activity and I would have to wait about one week as they would have to request it from Bangkok HQ.

My branch did produce the letter the same day - they first printed out a "credit advice" for each deposit from which they produced the letter. The fee was 500 baht for the credit advices (apparently standard fee and not based on number they have to print) and 100 baht for the letter itself - they gave the print outs as well as the letter, but the IO will want only the letter.

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Also, you will need to show your bank book with a transaction entered on the day you apply, e.g. withdrawal of one hundred baht.

One time in Jomtien, the IMO wanted the current balance to exactly match the letter balance so he sent me to bank branch to withdraw 100 baht as I had added 100 baht a couple hours before.  So now, I usually deposit 100 baht, then instantly withdraw 100 baht so the bank book is updated but consistent with a letter that might have been generated using yesterday's balance.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

So yours don't count to rely on  ….because the use of ????"agent" LOL 

• Confused 3

24 minutes ago, david555 said:

So yours don't count to rely on  ….because the use of ????"agent" LOL 

Why doesn't it count? The agent is doing the leg work,  not arranging  the financial requirements, however,  it's up to you what you believe mate. 

Just did a test transfer from my USA bank To Bangkok Bank using SWIFT code. It showed up as BAHTNET Transfer in my Bangkok Bank Statement. How do I get a transfer to show up as FTT (or will IMMIGRATION accept BAHTNET supported by USA Bank Transfer record for income method)?

I just got away from direct deposit of USA Social Security as the Direct Deposit required a teller transaction and I' m not near a branch (40 min drive). 

36 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Why doesn't it count? The agent is doing the leg work,  not arranging  the financial requirements, however,  it's up to you what you believe mate. 

you obvious don't understand my point ….. as usual mate 

I am just meaning that however on your side all is true and money more than enough available , no arrangements…. BUT  the agent however dealing with the IO's as usual , he shall be treated as usual by them, because the cut in the share is always included …..

SO It is because of that connection between "agents" and Immigration this can give  always a doubt over the handling against the dealing from individuals with Immigration .

It is in that way I meant my remark , nothing to doubt that you just avoid the legwork by using an "agent "

About :it's up to you what you believe mate :  I deal already 8 years with immigration myself  from combo method up to the 800 k method , never any problem with immigration and never used an "agent " even not for only  saving the legwork 

Edited by david555

3 minutes ago, Siameaze said:

Just did a test transfer from my USA bank To Bangkok Bank using SWIFT code. It showed up as BAHTNET Transfer in my Bangkok Bank Statement. How do I get a transfer to show up as FTT (or will IMMIGRATION accept BAHTNET supported by USA Bank Transfer record for income method)?

Are you having the transfer done as Baht or Dollars? Baht transfers are handled differently and often go through the Bank of Thailand (BOT).

Some banks use a intermediary bank for the transfers that cause it not to show as a FTT.

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I realise you are paying 5,000 for someone to do the legwork but I do wonder why because it is so easy. This year for the first time I have had to use an agent myself. Its only 13,000 for the whole thing, done and dusted.

1 hour ago, david555 said:

BUT  the agent however dealing with the IO's as usual , he shall be treated as usual by them, because the cut in the share is always included

there is no bribe to an IO involved if you meet all the financials, why would there be, the agent is simply doing all the "donky work" and charging 2-3k for the pleasure

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jimn said:

I realise you are paying 5,000 for someone to do the legwork but I do wonder why because it is so easy. This year for the first time I have had to use an agent myself. Its only 13,000 for the whole thing, done and dusted.

you paid a bribe because you don't meet the requirements and is technically illegal 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Siameaze said:

I was offered Baht or USD to BAHT equivalent. I choose USD to BAHT. My transfer seems to have been made by USA bank (Bank of America) in BAHT. I will try another test trying to limit it to USD transfer

that will fix your problem or just use transferwise and select the correct reason for the transfer in the pull down menu

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, smedly said:

there is no bribe to an IO involved if you meet all the financials, why would there be, the agent is simply doing all the "donky work" and charging 2-3k for the pleasure

Still not understand it ?…… no bribe but their inner public relations which each other is still existing , by a individual handling his own you get the real thing (might be the same ….) so on sight the clear real situation on looks ….Agent involved or individual experiences are different ….  

further I give up any explaining as it is even not my case .

Edited by david555

2 hours ago, david555 said:

you obvious don't understand my point ….. as usual mate 

I am just meaning that however on your side all is true and money more than enough available , no arrangements…. BUT  the agent however dealing with the IO's as usual , he shall be treated as usual by them, because the cut in the share is always included …..

SO It is because of that connection between "agents" and Immigration this can give  always a doubt over the handling against the dealing from individuals with Immigration .

It is in that way I meant my remark , nothing to doubt that you just avoid the legwork by using an "agent "

About :it's up to you what you believe mate :  I deal already 8 years with immigration myself  from combo method up to the 800 k method , never any problem with immigration and never used an "agent " even not for only  saving the legwork 

No idea what any of that means. As I say, up to you what you believe, or don't.

2 hours ago, jimn said:

5K vs 13K because the agent doesn't have to 'overlook' the lack of seasoning on the money for the former.  That costs extra.

3 hours ago, david555 said:

Exactly.  Anyone who pays an agent and thinks there is no envelope involved is deluding themselves.  It's a smaller "agent-fee" if the money is "in order" - but the thinner-enveolope involved still guarantees no "unpublished requirements" are manufactured to block the extension.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I posted a thread asking a similar question in the last 6 months and i recall one before mine and no one said they'd done Combo method at Jomtien

I succesfully did the combo method,at Jomtien,late November.

I got copy of previous 12 months FTT transfers of my Nz super.

Then got letter from nz embassy at Bkk,to verify.

The immigration officer,very quickly went through all my papers,then said come back at 2pm tomorrow.

The next day,i paid another 1900thb,to get a multi entry.

All very quick and pleasant.

Note...i always wear shorts and tee shirt.

Dressing up ,is not necessary.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

you paid a bribe because you don't meet the requirements and is technically illegal 

Yes I agree this year I did not meet the requirements in previous years I had the embassy letter proving my income in the UK over 65k per month. This year I did not want to transfer 65k monthly into my bank account or keep on 800k, so I used an agent. I disagree that it is illegal, the same senior immigration officer signed my extension as did last year. I had 800k in my bank account and he used his waiver over the time period. Its a well oiled machine the agent process in Jomtien from the agent to the bank official to the immigration officer. You cant stop it. It is a bit dodgy but certainly not illegal.

Edited by jimn
  • Confused 1