combo method Jomtien

6 hours ago, murraynz said:

I succesfully did the combo method,at Jomtien,late November.

I got copy of previous 12 months FTT transfers of my Nz super.

Then got letter from nz embassy at Bkk,to verify.

The immigration officer,very quickly went through all my papers,then said come back at 2pm tomorrow.

The next day,i paid another 1900thb,to get a multi entry.

All very quick and pleasant.

Note...i always wear shorts and tee shirt.

Dressing up ,is not necessary.

It seems to be different if you've got an embassy letter of income, without that, they don't like it, but we can hear how it goes

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I must say that although I am seeking to use the combo method, I am using an agent to do the leg work. This agent does not supply a 800K bung, nor, as far as I can tell, tries to circumvent that requirement. so we shall see.   

Why not do it yourself and save 13,000-20,000thb, its quite simple just make sure you have all your paperwork done properly, if on Australian pension you can get a printout from Centrelink of your earnings for previous 12 months then you just need 12 months bank statements from your bank. go to Pattaya City Expats club website they have excellent list of required documents.

12 hours ago, smedly said:

that will fix your problem or just use transferwise and select the correct reason for the transfer in the pull down menu

On the drop down menu use the last item "for Thai immigration purposes".

• Like 1

Siameaze

Just did a test transfer from my USA bank To Bangkok Bank using SWIFT code. It showed up as BAHTNET Transfer in my Bangkok Bank Statement. How do I get a transfer to show up as FTT (or will IMMIGRATION accept BAHTNET supported by USA Bank Transfer record for income method)?

I just got away from direct deposit of USA Social Security as the Direct Deposit required a teller transaction and I' m not near a branch (40 min drive).

Bangkok Bank usually codes direct foreign transfers as "FTT" whether it is in baht or other currency, e.g., US Dollars.  I had both methods in my Bangkok Bank used last year for my extension at Jomtien; both types were coded "FTT."  However, I know if it is from US Government international direct deposits (IDD), e.g., social security, the code will appear as "BAHTNET", which means it was routed through the Bank of Thailand (https://www.bot.or.th/English/PaymentSystems/PSServices/bahtnet/Pages/default.aspx).

I know of one person who had IDD deposits to their Bangkok Bank account and when they asked for the letter for Jomtien Immigration listing their foreign deposits for the previous year, Bangkok Bank's "Credit Advice" (internal record of deposit) apparently reflected their BAHTNET transfers as being from a foreign source.  So that code does not appear to be a problem.

smedly

that will fix your problem or just use transferwise and select the correct reason for the transfer in the pull down menu

I use Transferwise for transfers from my USA Bank to my Bangkok Bank account - although they do in Baht, the exchange rate is very good and if they send it direct to Bangkok Bank, it is coded "FTT" as being from a foreign source.  However, if they send it through another of their partner banks, e.g., Kasikorn, it will show up in the receiving bank as a domestic transfer.  But, if you have a Bangkok Bank account and, as Smedly notes, use the correct reason from their pull down menu - BUT be sure it is the one that says Long Stay in Thailand as the purpose, not the one that says for living expenses. I always use that reason and all my transfers have gone direct to Bangkok Bank for deposit, thus having the "FTT" code; thus being no problem in getting them listed by Bangkok Bank in the letter for Jomtien Immigration.

murraynz

I succesfully did the combo method,at Jomtien,late November.
I got copy of previous 12 months FTT transfers of my Nz super.
Then got letter from nz embassy at Bkk,to verify.
The immigration officer,very quickly went through all my papers,then said come back at 2pm tomorrow.
The next day,i paid another 1900thb,to get a multi entry.
All very quick and pleasant.

scubascuba3

It seems to be different if you've got an embassy letter of income, without that, they don't like it, but we can hear how it goes

Jomtien Immigration has always accepted the Embassy Certification letter for the combo method and does not require a letter showing deposit in your bank account if you can get one. However, if from USA, Australia, or UK, which no longer provide such certifications, a Bank letter listing monthly deposits from a foreign source will be required (showing at least 65k per month if using solely the monthly income method - if using the combo method, it will need to show sufficient funds transferred that when added to the existing Thai bank balance is equal to or greater than 800k).

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, a977 said:

Why not do it yourself and save 13,000-20,000thb, its quite simple just make sure you have all your paperwork done properly, if on Australian pension you can get a printout from Centrelink of your earnings for previous 12 months then you just need 12 months bank statements from your bank. go to Pattaya City Expats club website they have excellent list of required documents.

It is costing me 5,000 not 13,000 to 20,000, so £120 in real money.  I am using an agent this time because  I didn't want to transfer any more money into my Thai account with the rates as low as they are.  As I already had 600K in the bank and I transfer regular monthly amounts of 40,000+,  so well exceeding the 800K over a full year, the combo method looked the best option for me this time.  The combo method seems to involve a good deal more proving paperwork and Immigration visits are always a pain, so I couldn't be bothered to do the leg work.  That is why I am prepared to pay the 5k to avoid it and smooth the way. 

That is much more of an explanation than I intended to give publically, but it may help others decide what to do for themselves.  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It is costing me 5,000 not 13,000 to 20,000, so £120 in real money.  I am using an agent this time because  I didn't want to transfer any more money into my Thai account with the rates as low as they are.  As I already had 600K in the bank and I transfer regular monthly amounts of 40,000+,  so well exceeding the 800K over a full year, the combo method looked the best option for me this time.  The combo method seems to involve a good deal more proving paperwork and Immigration visits are always a pain, so I couldn't be bothered to do the leg work.  That is why I am prepared to pay the 5k to avoid it and smooth the way. 

That is much more of an explanation than I intended to give publically, but it may help others decide what to do for themselves.  

cheers for the great posts mate, I have also on occasion considered using an agent to do the Donkey Work, the real cost is more like 3k as the 5k includes all the fees etc but I am still going to do it myself again this year, I hate being given the run around and want to make sure I have all the correct stuff I need on one trip - I usually do mine a month early to give myself a margin of error lol

I think I'm good to go and some very useful info here on this thread, many thx to all who have participated 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimn said:

I realise you are paying 5,000 for someone to do the legwork but I do wonder why because it is so easy. This year for the first time I have had to use an agent myself. Its only 13,000 for the whole thing, done and dusted.

remember that your next extension in 12 months has requirements to meet if you intend on doing it yourself - 3 months 800k balance after your extension is approved (if using that method) and 400k balance thereafter - not sure how that applies to combo method though but just something to consider going forward

• Like 2

well folks I have my extension stamp from the Jomtien Office. As you know, I was sure that I met the legal requirements by the combo method, 550K was in the bank book, plus regular payments in of 40,000+ each month for the past 12 months.   However, to reduce the risk I decided for the first time to use an agent. This is where it all gets a bit woolly. I collected my passport from him and asked him if the combo method was okay in my case.  His answer was ambiguous, in that I never got a complete answer.  I guess that it was all accepted 'at face value',  as meeting the legal requirements, as all of my transfers were through Tranferwise.  So, I think we can say that the combo method does work, but that it may be prudent to use an agent to do the donkey work admin involved. I will use this route from now on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

well folks I have my extension stamp from the Jomtien Office. As you know, I was sure that I met the legal requirements by the combo method, 550K was in the bank book, plus regular payments in of 40,000+ each month for the past 12 months.   However, to reduce the risk I decided for the first time to use an agent. This is where it all gets a bit woolly. I collected my passport from him and asked him if the combo method was okay in my case.  His answer was ambiguous, in that I never got a complete answer.  I guess that it was all accepted 'at face value',  as meeting the legal requirements, as all of my transfers were through Tranferwise.  So, I think we can say that the combo method does work, but that it may be prudent to use an agent to do the donkey work admin involved. I will use this route from now on. 

Yes combo must be ok if you use an agent. They do stick to the law with the 800k balance method so the combo method must have been ok too. Let us know if you do the same next year without an agent, it's worth a try first anyway

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

quick question, did you go to your bank and get the letters yourself ten give them to the agent ?

1 hour ago, smedly said:

quick question, did you go to your bank and get the letters yourself ten give them to the agent ?

No, I just gave the agent my bank book, I never visited the bank myself. 

I am already dealing with TransferWise for years.

I hold this multi-currency account with them.

I transfer money into my TransferWise account, either in GBP or EUR, convert it into THB and transfer my money from THB to THB to my UOB account in Thailand.

Could this confuse immigration as it doesn't show foreign currency coming in and being exchanged?

11 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

I transfer money into my TransferWise account, either in GBP or EUR, convert it into THB and transfer my money from THB to THB to my UOB account in Thailand.

Could this confuse immigration as it doesn't show foreign currency coming in and being exchanged?

My transfer via Transferwise using my THB balance, which I build up over a month when rates are good, arrived in my Bkk Bank, as usual, in 24 hours, FTT. No worries.

13 minutes ago, stouricks said:

My transfer via Transferwise using my THB balance, which I build up over a month when rates are good, arrived in my Bkk Bank, as usual, in 24 hours, FTT. No worries.

I just checked on my TransferWise receipts.

It says:

paid out from:

NAME

TransferWise on behalf of (myself)

Delivered via:

local bank transfer

Banking partner:

Bangkok bank

banking partner reference:

9 digit number

2 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

I just checked on my TransferWise receipts.

It says:

paid out from:

NAME

TransferWise on behalf of (myself)

Delivered via:

local bank transfer

Banking partner:

Bangkok bank

banking partner reference:

9 digit number

And what does your Bkk Bank statement/bankbook say?

Did you specify with T'wise that the money was for long term stay in Thailand?

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

It sounds as if you are using TW's Borderless Account where money is held and then transferred elsewhere - if Thailand, they convert whatever currency is used for the Account into baht. TW charges their fees whenever they convert currency as part of a transfer.

It doesn't matter to Immigration on whether the money come in as baht or another currency and then converted to baht by the receiving bank.  I do not use the Borderless Account as I prefer to transfer through TW from my USA bank to my Bangkok Bank Account.  The key for Immigration is that the bank will provide a letter identifying the transfer as being from outside of Thailand, which it is using either method.   If the TW transfer in baht is to Bangkok Bank AND you use the long stay in Thailand reason for the transfer from their drop down menu, it will go to Bangkok Bank and be recorded as an "FTT" transaction (foreign source).  But is sent to another Thai bank, it could get recorded as a domestic transfer by the receiving bank if it is not one of TW's partner banks - TW sends to partner bank and that bank transfers to the receiving bank - thus it is coded as a domestic transfer. This could be problematic for Immigration purposes unless you can obtain the necessary evidence from the receiving bank - which could be a bit of a hassle.

18 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

It sounds as if you are using TW's Borderless Account where money is held and then transferred elsewhere - if Thailand, they convert whatever currency is used for the Account into baht. TW charges their fees whenever they convert currency as part of a transfer.

It doesn't matter to Immigration on whether the money come in as baht or another currency and then converted to baht by the receiving bank.  I do not use the Borderless Account as I prefer to transfer through TW from my USA bank to my Bangkok Bank Account.  The key for Immigration is that the bank will provide a letter identifying the transfer as being from outside of Thailand, which it is using either method.   If the TW transfer in baht is to Bangkok Bank AND you use the long stay in Thailand reason for the transfer from their drop down menu, it will go to Bangkok Bank and be recorded as an "FTT" transaction (foreign source).  But is sent to another Thai bank, it could get recorded as a domestic transfer by the receiving bank if it is not one of TW's partner banks - TW sends to partner bank and that bank transfers to the receiving bank - thus it is coded as a domestic transfer. This could be problematic for Immigration purposes unless you can obtain the necessary evidence from the receiving bank - which could be a bit of a hassle.

I don't believe any transfer actually takes place as such on a per transfer basis 

On 5/28/2020 at 3:41 AM, soisanuk said:

Jomtien Immigration has always accepted the Embassy Certification letter for the combo method and does not require a letter showing deposit in your bank account if you can get one. However, if from USA, Australia, or UK, which no longer provide such certifications, a Bank letter listing monthly deposits from a foreign source will be required (showing at least 65k per month if using solely the monthly income method - if using the combo method, it will need to show sufficient funds transferred that when added to the existing Thai bank balance is equal to or greater than 800k).

It seems that it is still possible to get an income-statement affidavit signed by the US embassy in Vientiane, Laos.

But I did not come upon a report yet of a US-citizen to use that option when applying for a 1-year extension of stay, and whether it is accepted by IO.

27 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

it appears as a local transfer.

I use borderless account. When if feel the exchange rate to THB is ok, I exchange and keep THB in my borderless account and later transfer to my UOB account in Thailand.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:08 AM, smedly said:

cheers Joe

would still like to hear from someone who recently went through the process 

You will need a 12 months bank statement from your Thai bank showing monthly international transfers. Plus the bank letter.