Thailand's unsung Covid-19 success story

webfact

2 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

I, for one, would not have believed at the beginning of this that Thailand could ever achieve the low levels that they have. But, the fact is, without any conflicting evidence they have done a bloody good job. Credit where credit is due. 

Hear, hear! Very grateful that I was fortunate enough to be here during this global crisis. If the statistics are accurate, they are amazing. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mulambana said:

What is amazing to me  that people who can't even find a bride in their home country, can't earn a decent living in their retirmenet in their home country come to Thailand and become expert in everything.

Until all the facts are known later on, it is too early to make judgement.

Considering all the circumstances and conditions, it is most unlikely that Thailand was more successful than others for said reason. If it is so, then whole COVID thing seems to be nonsense and drama. It is like telling that Papua-New Guinean physicist discovered unified theory hundred years ago.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

A bit of a conundrum this one.  Thailand is obviously not overrun with the virus like UK & parts of the US, the current situation in the hospitals support this.  The government did get off to a stupid start, but within days of Singapore & Malaysia locking down, so did Thailand.  I scraped back in with 12 hours to spare from Singapore.  It seems likely that the sudden change of approach was more likely them taking Singapore's lead, where they do know how to govern effectively.  I'm sure there have been more cases than reported, due to the testing policy, but that said, there obviously isn't a mass epidemic here.  For the first 6 weeks or so, people were pretty consistent in their mask wearing here.  Dropping off a bit now though.  That's the positive side.  The government made two counter-intuitive announcements over the past 2 days.  Firstly - that Chonburi had gone 31 straight days with no new infections.  Followed a day later by - emergency measures to be extended until June 30th.  Which begs the question - why?  A phased release of lock down commensurate with local situation would be a measure that could be tried in a select location/s - here for example (Pattaya), given the good news above.  So why the continuation of emergency measures? We know they don't think things through to their logical conclusion & logic is just something computers use.  Its so obvious to us that are capable of critical thinking, that something doesn't add up here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:
3 hours ago, Yinn said:

I join tvf forum one year ago today. My one year anniversary. I surprised by “Thai bashing” so much.

The last 4 months proof how stupid you guys are.

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Even though, I can see some benefits in being in Thailand in the time of COVID, I regret to say that a statement like this one disqualifies you to post here. 

11 likes, 3 thank yous and 1 re-quote (from me) say otherwise. Stick to it @Yinn

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bodga said:

Claptrap, and this  govt  will use this  rubbish mercilessly to promote themsleves, social distancing is the last thing any Thais do, I shall await future  research as to why some countries have had  little impact with cv19 inc  surrounding countries. Whether  climate affects  the results or  not, outdoor  lifestyle etc.

So not quite claptrap yet then?

Even allowing for possible temperature effects (see for example Hale Uni correlations) the difference between eg U.K. (same population but which failed to lockdown early or and control foreign entry at all) is huge - 40,000 deaths vs 60 !!

It seems fairly likely to me that decisive governments and populations with a tendency toward compliance (rather than endless debate like in U.K.) are likely to fare better in this type of crisis.

Edited by PeeJayEm
Typo
  • Like 2

Nice to see even the Bangkok Post is catching on, they describe the dining rules as ABSURD ! as are the rest of the such rules. What I would like to know is who is responsible for trying to change the way everyone lives, and why ? It does not sound like something that would be on the Chinese agenda, more like someone who intends to make billions from a vaccine. Always follow the money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gamini said:

We see the usual pathetic mentally retarded Thai bashers criticising Thailand success in containing the virus. They automatically criticise anything any government or Thais do, good orbad. They twist good news into bad news. I think many Brits whose government response to the virus is pathetic at best. Thank God I live in Thailand and not in the UK.  

"...pathetic mentally retarded Thai bashers..." 

Projection much?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Expat Brad said:

They're doing a pretty good job at hiding and manipulating the truth in the US by some reports. 

4 hours ago, Expat Brad said:

They're doing a pretty good job at hiding and manipulating the truth in the US by some reports. 

But they haven’t been able to hide 100,000 deaths in US which is more to Tanlic’s point.

Edited by PeeJayEm
Typo

1 hour ago, gamini said:

We see the usual pathetic mentally retarded Thai bashers criticising Thailand success in containing the virus. They automatically criticise anything any government or Thais do, good orbad. They twist good news into bad news. I think many Brits whose government response to the virus is pathetic at best. Thank God I live in Thailand and not in the UK.  

Oh well.....:coffee1:

• Like 2

So they are concerned about a second wave, even if its 200% worse that would mean 150 odd deaths . This is nothing, the road death toll of 26000 in the Covid 19 period is of far greater concern. It is amusing to see motor bike riders with stupid masks but no helmet. the average Thai  death toll per day from all things is 1,400. So the economy is destroyed, people have no jobs and no money to eat, people are depressed and bored and are becoming institutionalised, shopping Malls are open but empty, Restaurants cant sell alcohol also empty. Why Thailand has so few cases has nothing to do with lock down, masks, plastic face screens or social distancing. Just go to a local market. There must be some other reason that this whole area of south east asia has so few cases and deaths compared to Europe, UK similar population but 1000s of supposed corona deaths and cases it just doesn't add up.

Year 2017/18 60,000 influenza deaths in the USA alone. (Covid 19 is a influenza type virus), nobody shut down the world.  In 1918/19 Spanish flu 50,000,000 deaths worldwide nobody shut down the world. So why now? .

WHO now says maybe Sweden had the right approach, my feeling is that it would have certainly worked here in south east asia. But shutting the boarders would have been required.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M71 said:

Success story ??  Any country can beat a common seasonal flu.  Ain't rocket science.  STUPID-19   ??

Wow! You sound like some of the morons on the beach in America. This isn’t the flu. It is highly contagious and dangerous. Read more than the headlines. Read about some of the doctors and nurses who have died of this very smart virus. I would hope you don’t end up in hospital on a ventilator with two tubes jammed down your throat and put into a coma because your body is starting to close down. Use your brain....doctors and nurses don’t die in droves from the flu. We don’t see coffins stacked up in New York waiting to be buried in one huge communal grave from the flu. Of course if you want to live in denial that is your choice.

People like you think it is a joke or a big control issue by the powers that be.

Educate yourself before it is to late for you, and lay off the bleach!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

It's all rubbish. The virus has early effect because people were not aware. That's all changed. There using this to crush democracy destroy entertainment industry. It's just a excuse to control with a hidden agenda. Close beaches ???? madness. Close airport madness. Close economy is a disaster. RELY on Chinese is asylum worthy 

We have a free flu vaccine in the UK in 2018 - 19 nearly 30% of those entitled over 65 didn't bother

Company I work for offered to refund employees having vaccinations - many did not bother

Nearly 50% of those between 2 - 65 entitled listed as being at risk didn't bother

Apathy - the silent killer

Edited by 473geo