Thailand's unsung Covid-19 success story

webfact

5 hours ago, Yankeesvsredsox said:

I went to the hospital in a large city up north! Every other seat had signs,don't sit here with a diagonal slash through the picture!

It was very busy,those warning signs weren't being followed by everyone,especially the older folk.

Yes, it seems hospitals (and some restaurants) are attempting social distancing, but it's not that effective. My local supermarkets only have seats outside some banks - otherwise it's a free for all. 

IMO, the older folk follow Buddhist principles - and just carry on with their way of 'live for today philosophy' that has been handed down for generations. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Sunshine (Vit D) and habitual wearing of face masks, as is the pollution norm here in Thailand are more likely benefactors of low infection

You should google the prevalence of Vitamin D deficiency in Thailand - you're going to be in for a big shock!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You should google the prevalence of Vitamin D deficiency in Thailand - you're going to be in for a big shock!

Scaremongering, IMO.   

"When the sun's UV-B rays hit the skin, a reaction takes place that enables skin cells to manufacture vitamin D. If you're fair skinned, experts say going outside for 10 minutes in the midday sun—in shorts and a tank top with no sunscreen—will give you enough radiation to produce about 10,000 international units of the vitamin"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Scaremongering, IMO.   

"When the sun's UV-B rays hit the skin, a reaction takes place that enables skin cells to manufacture vitamin D. If you're fair skinned, experts say going outside for 10 minutes in the midday sun—in shorts and a tank top with no sunscreen—will give you enough radiation to produce about 10,000 international units of the vitamin"

Thai folk avoid the sun like the "plague".....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

In Thailand there are temprature checks everywhere masks required and hand washing too. I havent heard about that in my country. Have you heard about it in the UK ?. What i have noticed that especially Americans and Europeans hate the contract tracing rules (read on the forum) and wearing masks. So that is a difference too.

Testing has nothing to do with it at all as I am talking about deaths not contagions. You can hide contagions by not testing but overflowing hospitals you cannot hide. That is why i use it as a measure. 

Since 50% of the infected are asymptomatic temperature checks have an extremely limited impact. 

As for masks, we have seen countries that have introduced mandatory mask wearing but their death rates actually increased after the mask wearing duty was introduced. So their effectiveness is even lower.

You repeat the nonsense that testing has nothing to do with deaths. You need to consider this:

If you don't test someone for Covid19 how would you know if that person died of Covid19?

Testing has everything to do with low death figures.

The notion that the virus would lead to hospitals overflowing is just plain false. The hospitalisation rate for the virus in one of the worst hit areas, the US, is 67 per 100,000, that is less than 0.1%

I repeat: The hospitalization rate is less than 0.1%

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

So it is very doubtful that in a country that is nowhere near as badly affected as the US, Thailand, there would be a hospital patient wave.

The notion that the presence of SARS Cov2 automatically results in overflowing hospitals is false.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Imagine for a moment that you are back in your home country, wherever that may. You are member of a community forum in your home country and a group of foreigners join that forum.

That foreign group begin to hurl daily insults at your country and its people. And they do it unrelentingly on a daily basis and there is nothing you can do about it.

That is what @Yinn has to put up with on a daily basis, from a group of very ignorant, cowardly people who would never dare to say the things that they do if it were it not for the cloak of anonymity.

So just show a little bit of sympathy and understanding will you?

I don't know about you, but I would have a look at what is being said.

Then I would accept some of it as logical, critical thinking, which I would totally welcome!

Others would be seen as "taking the ..." and would be nothiing more than that!

And other s would be seen as idiots!

And back in "my country" even the idiots would have the right to be idiots!

Here is, what I wouldn't be: BUTTHURT!

7 hours ago, faraday said:

I meant to add...

When I compare Thailand's response to C19 with the UK, it is very clear which country has been most responsible.

Speaking with my sister two nights ago, when I told her of the procedure on entering BigC or Tesco's for example, she was amazed.

Then, just look at the mortality rate.

So yeah, I finks Thailand's done good.

You are talking nonsense. 

The only difference is that Thailand take temperature which is completely irrelevant if the person is asymptomatic which is believed to be the case in over 50% of people with Covid. All of the supermarkets where I live, people have to queue outside, maintaining at least 2 metre gap, you are only allowed in when someone leaves. We have to walk around the supermarket in a oneway direction and maintain social distancing. You then have wait to be called to a free checkout that has glass screen to divid customers form staff. People are advised to wear masks and gloves. All trolleys are sprayed down and clean after use 

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Mutated strain.. give me some proof of that as nobody has given that as a reason in the official briefings. Cold might play a role but has not been really proven how much it does. I guess you really don't know Thailand well as BKK for instance is as busy as London and people live close together go in public transport more packed then the UK. Outside of BKK you got factories where they work in cramped conditions.

I guess your one of those nationalists that can't admit to anything substantial (thanks for the remark on contact tracing). Even my country same conditions as in the UK has only half the amounts of deaths per capita. So the UK screwed it up royally and you still dont want to admit they did it worse then Thailand. I guess nationalism blinds people as the UK is one of the worst countries for corvid per capita and still you trump your chest and act like everything is fine.

In Thailand there are temprature checks everywhere masks required and hand washing too. I havent heard about that in my country. Have you heard about it in the UK ?. What i have noticed that especially Americans and Europeans hate the contract tracing rules (read on the forum) and wearing masks. So that is a difference too.

Testing has nothing to do with it at all as I am talking about deaths not contagions. You can hide contagions by not testing but overflowing hospitals you cannot hide. That is why i use it as a measure. Even if the amount of Thais that died are 10x the official number its still lower as in the UK and my country the Netherlands.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/world/europe/coronavirus-united-kingdom-national-health-service.html

(just a quick google on ICU bed in UK they all say they are overflowing)

You pick and choose what you bother to read in my replies. I said a large proportion of Thai's (not all) have what is classed as outdoor living and work outdoors. I said nothing about Bangkok, I am not referring to Cities, I am talk about rural Thailand. Taking temperature of people when entering a shop is an utter wast of time because it is estimated that at least 50% of carriers are asymptomatic. 

In the UK all supermarkets I have used, people queue outside, min of 2 metres apart and only single people, no couple or families are allowed. We are only allowed to enter when someone leaves. We must walk around the store in a one way direction maintaining social distancing. We have to wait to be called to checkout to pay. All trollies and baskets are cleaned after use. Masks and gloves are used by many people as in hand sanitiser. 

Buses and public transit only allow limited passengers and seats are blocked out. Hospitals and doctors are very strict, only limited appointments at a set time, masks must be warn and hands sanitiser used. No waiting in waiting rooms is allowed. The hospital or doctors call in the morning of the appointment to ask questions about symptoms. 

All non essential shops, restaurants, cinemas, gyms, swimming pools, hotels, theme parks etc etc have been closed for over 2 months. 

We are not allowed to visit family or friends and are only allowed to leave our homes for essential food shopping if home delivery is not available or to exercise once a day (individually).

There is at least two strains of Covid 2 and some medical professionals I know say there is more. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236544-coronavirus-are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19#The-new-coronavirus-is-mutating,-but-very-slowly

I watch numerous Youtube channels of Vloggers in Thailand and I have friends who live there and I have seen and heard there is limited social distancing at markets, some supermarkets, BTS, bus station etc etc. I have seen many Thais not wearing masks or I do admit they are far better at this then most people in the UK. 

There are no overflowing hospitals in the UK and plenty of capacity. 

This will be the third time of repeating myself, the number of deaths in the UK and Europe is nothing to do with how well the governments have managed the virus it is due to underlying factors that aren't currently fully understood but is likely down to the different strains of the virus and weather conditions. 

Deaths across most of Europe are far higher then Asia.

Deaths in Spain, Italy, France, UK, Belgium, Netherlands and Sweden are all in the range of 10 to 15%

In most counties in the Middle East and Asia the mortality rate is well below 3%

Do you honestly believe this is due to some miraculous difference in the way the Middle East and Asia have treated the disease that they haven't shared with the rest of the world? 

Edited by Patts

1 hour ago, Patts said:

The only difference is that Thailand take temperature which is completely irrelevant if the person is asymptomatic which is believed to be the case in over 50% of people with Covid. All of the supermarkets where I live, people have to queue outside, maintaining at least 2 metre gap, you are only allowed in when someone leaves. We have to walk around the supermarket in a oneway direction and maintain social distancing. You then have wait to be called to a free checkout that has glass screen to divid customers form staff. People are advised to wear masks and gloves. All trolleys are sprayed down and clean after use 

Ok, then I'll give you my sister's phone number & you can tell her she's lying.

5 minutes ago, Patts said:

You pick and choose what you bother to read in my replies. I said a large proportion of Thai's (not all) have what is classed as outdoor living and work outdoors. I said nothing about Bangkok, I am referring to Cities, I am talk about rural Thailand. Taking temperature of people when entering a shop is an utter wast of time because it is estimated that at least 50% of carriers are asymptomatic. 

In the UK all supermarkets I have used, people queue outside, min of 2 metres apart and only single people, no couple or families are allowed. We are only allowed to enter when someone leaves. We must walk around the store in a one way direction maintaining social distancing. We have to wait to be called to checkout to pay. All trollies and baskets are cleaned after use. Masks and gloves are used by many people as in hand sanitiser. 

Buses and public transit only allow limited passengers and seats are blocked out. Hospitals and doctors are very strict, only limited appointments at a set time, masks must be warn and hands sanitiser used. No waiting in waiting rooms is allowed. The hospital or doctors call in the morning of the appointment to ask questions about symptoms. 

All non essential shops, restaurants, cinemas, gyms, swimming pools, hotels, theme parks etc etc have been closed for over 2 months. 

We are not allowed to visit family or friends and are only allowed to leave our homes for essential food shopping if home delivery is not available or to exercise once a day (individually).

There is at least two strains of Covid 2 and some medical professionals I know say there is more. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236544-coronavirus-are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-mutation-and-covid-19#The-new-coronavirus-is-mutating,-but-very-slowly

I watch numerous Youtube channels of Vloggers in Thailand and I have friends who live there and I have seen and heard there is limited social distancing at markets, some supermarkets, BTS, bus station etc etc. I have seen many Thais not wearing masks or I do admit they are far better at this then most people in the UK. 

There are no overflowing hospitals in the UK and plenty of capacity. 

This will be the third time of repeating myself, the number of deaths in the UK and Europe is nothing to do with how well the governments have managed the virus it is due to underlying factors that aren't currently fully understood but is likely down to the different strains of the virus and weather conditions. 

Deaths across most of Europe are far higher then Asia.

Deaths in Spain, Italy, France, UK, Belgium, Netherlands and Sweden are all in the range of 10 to 15%

In most counties in the Middle East and Asia the mortality rate is well below 3%

Do you honestly believe this is due to some miraculous difference in the way the Middle East and Asia have treated the disease that they haven't shared with the rest of the world? 

So your not even in Thailand. That explains a lot. Bashing Thailand while not even being here and only seeing the bad sides not how it works for real. Of course only exceptions would make it to youtube. I mean films of people following the rules wont get any hits. 

Scanning temperature works and yes you got people without symptoms but at least the ones with symptoms stay outside. I hear nothing about hand cleaning with alcohol gel ? That is known to work.

In Thailand they also keep seats open on busses just like the uk

You complain about the BTS in BKK but forget that the same happens in the UK (Mr Thaibasher)

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/13/uk/london-underground-boris-johnson-analysis-gbr-intl/index.html

Yes there are 2 strains but there is no proof that Thailand has only one strain. Remember loads of tourists from Europe brought it here. So again your finding excuses.

The UK is doing it worse then my county in deatch per capita so stop acting like the UK is doing it ok its one of the worst in Europe yet you keep bashing Thailand.

Do I think its just the Thai governments doing that the death rate is lower. No I don't probably other things. But I think that the people from the UK are the last to comment on things given how bad their country has managed things. 

33 minutes ago, robblok said:

So your not even in Thailand. That explains a lot. Bashing Thailand while not even being here and only seeing the bad sides not how it works for real. Of course only exceptions would make it to youtube. I mean films of people following the rules wont get any hits. 

Scanning temperature works and yes you got people without symptoms but at least the ones with symptoms stay outside. I hear nothing about hand cleaning with alcohol gel ? That is known to work.

In Thailand they also keep seats open on busses just like the uk

You complain about the BTS in BKK but forget that the same happens in the UK (Mr Thaibasher)

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/13/uk/london-underground-boris-johnson-analysis-gbr-intl/index.html

Yes there are 2 strains but there is no proof that Thailand has only one strain. Remember loads of tourists from Europe brought it here. So again your finding excuses.

The UK is doing it worse then my county in deatch per capita so stop acting like the UK is doing it ok its one of the worst in Europe yet you keep bashing Thailand.

Do I think its just the Thai governments doing that the death rate is lower. No I don't probably other things. But I think that the people from the UK are the last to comment on things given how bad their country has managed things. 

Mate, 

I can't be bothered to wast my time because you clearly don't read what's written and only answer the points you feel like. 

I said twice that Hand gel is used  "many people as in hand sanitiser" and "hands sanitiser used"

Not once have I "bashed" Thailand. I have only defended the negative nonsense you and Yinn keep posting about Europe and the UK's handling of corona virus!

Is it a secret what country you are from because you keep mentioning how much better they have done but never mention where?

4th Time, take note of the final sentence. 

You constantly go on and on that the UK has done a bad job but you have not provided a single bit of evidence about what they have done worse then Thailand (or any country) that has made the death toll higher!

Edited by Patts
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Patts said:

Mate, 

I can't be bothered to wast my time because you clearly don't read what's written and only answer the points you feel like. 

I said twice that Hand gel is used  "many people as in hand sanitiser" and "hands sanitiser used"

Not once have I "bashed" Thailand. I have only defended the negative nonsense you and Yinn keep posting about Europe and the UK's handling of corona virus!

Is it a secret what country you are from because you keep mentioning how much better they have done but never mention where?

4th Time, take note of the final sentence. 

You constantly go on and on that the UK has done a bad job but you have not provided a single bit of evidence about what they have done worse then Thailand (or any country) that has made the death toll higher!

Mate you are obviously a nationalistic Brit as you its mentioned in all the papers that the UK is performing as one of the worst in Europe. My country the Netherlands has 4 times less inhabitants and 5875 deaths through corvid. The UK has up to 48K according to news sources. So you do the math. The Netherlands and UK have similar climate. I would say in the Netherlands the population density is even higher as in the UK. (a risk factor). Also Germany is doing far better then the UK and better then my country in death rate per capita. So the UK is NOT doing well. Its on par with the worst hit countries. 

You are saying that its through underlying factors that are yet not fully understood. So without proof I have to accept that it is this way. Sounds a lot like you have no argument.

I fully accept that there MIGHT be some other things too however NOTHING of that has been proven so far. So to use it as an argument is wrong. Thailand was faster in reacting. The UK only just locked its airports. Thailand did this long ago not importing cases. The UK just responded too slow while Thailand responded faster.

You are awfully silent about the BTS remark after i showed you an article of the UK underground having exactly the same problem. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Mate you are obviously a nationalistic Brit as you its mentioned in all the papers that the UK is performing as one of the worst in Europe. My country the Netherlands has 4 times less inhabitants and 5875 deaths through corvid. The UK has up to 48K according to news sources. So you do the math. The Netherlands and UK have similar climate. I would say in the Netherlands the population density is even higher as in the UK. (a risk factor). Also Germany is doing far better then the UK and better then my country in death rate per capita. So the UK is NOT doing well. Its on par with the worst hit countries. 

You are saying that its through underlying factors that are yet not fully understood. So without proof I have to accept that it is this way. Sounds a lot like you have no argument.

I fully accept that there MIGHT be some other things too however NOTHING of that has been proven so far. So to use it as an argument is wrong. Thailand was faster in reacting. The UK only just locked its airports. Thailand did this long ago not importing cases. The UK just responded too slow while Thailand responded faster.

You are awfully silent about the BTS remark after i showed you an article of the UK underground having exactly the same problem. 

I didn't answer the point in regard to Thai vs UK public transport because it is apparent that they have both been bad and although this has increased the spread of Covid19 it doesn't explain why the Mortality rate is so different. 

The UK's death toll as of last night stands at 37,460 against 267,240 confirmed cases which gives a mortality rate of 14.01%

The Netherlands total deaths are 5871 against 45,768 confirmed cases which gives a mortality rate of 12.82% so the survival rate is only 1.19% better then the UK and we are far from those in Germany and Asia  

I completely agree about UK accepting international flights and the government have still not banned them which is unbelievable and would have definitely reduced the spread but again it doesn't explain Europes or the UK's high rate of mortality. 

In terms of national lockdowns the UK respond two days later then Thailand so not really that different. 

None of our conversation has provided any evidence as to why Asia and the Middle East have a much much better Mortality rate then the UK, Europe, US etc 

The other interesting thing is Sweden, they have no lockdown, Most businesses, restaurants, bars, and schools have remained open, though gatherings of more than 50 people were banned in late March and they follow social distancing but they have only 4,220 deaths against 35,088 cases giving a mortality rate of 12%. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, it seems hospitals (and some restaurants) are attempting social distancing, but it's not that effective. My local supermarkets only have seats outside some banks - otherwise it's a free for all. 

IMO, the older folk follow Buddhist principles - and just carry on with their way of 'live for today philosophy' that has been handed down for generations. 

Buddhist teaching is "Be at the present" but not "Live for today". Be sure you get that right before say it. You know stupudity is passed on generation to generation too.

And for the hospital seating social distancing policies, they keep up and  done their jobs by separating seat. Many countries doing that. I dont know how you come up with the effectiveness. Do you have the hospitals kpi?

talk about effectiveness,

Like in UK, many British people keep burning down 5g towers believing that it is where coronavirus spreading with conspiracy. Is this effective to contain the virus?

yes stupidity is passed on generations to generations.

Edited by Ratchsima

10 minutes ago, Patts said:

None of our conversation has provided any evidence as to why Asia and the Middle East have a much much better Mortality rate then the UK, Europe, US etc 

Asian countries have a much "better" mortality rate because they have across the board tested very little. Few tests equals few deaths from Covid19.

Simples.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Asian countries have a much "better" mortality rate because they have across the board tested very little. Few tests equals few deaths from Covid19.

Simples.

I thought that Asian countries like South Korea or Taiwan were among the best at testing...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I thought that Asian countries like South Korea or Taiwan were among the best at testing...

Taiwan is even worse than Thailand in term of testing. But Taiwan is highly prized around the world regarding covid19

Why do people in here TVF keep asking about number of tests??? It is very easy to seach!! Be smart dont be slow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Patts said:

When did this start, though?  Until recently, at supermarkets in Bangkok, there were no screens, and customer's hands were on everything.  This is while "non-essential" businesses were closed, including smaller markets, during the peak-death numbers. 

The only effect was to drive all purchases to 7-11 and large supermarkets - creating a common shared-spreading area.  Then, the "shopper" would come home, and be locked inside, where the virus spreads best.

This was before we had solid-data showing only certain groups faced danger from this virus, so I would come home and alcohol wipe everything. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

When did this start, though?  Until recently, at supermarkets in Bangkok, there were no screens, and customer's hands were on everything.  This is while "non-essential" businesses were closed, including smaller markets, during the peak-death numbers. 

The only effect was to drive all purchases to 7-11 and large supermarkets - creating a common shared-spreading area.  Then, the "shopper" would come home, and be locked inside, where the virus spreads best.

This was before we had solid-data showing only certain groups faced danger from this virus, so I would come home and alcohol wipe everything. 

Hi jack, 

This is the measures at Sainbury's Supermarket in the UK

1 hour ago, Ratchsima said:

Taiwan is even worse than Thailand in term of testing. But Taiwan is highly prized around the world regarding covid19

Seriously?

Saints in the West and sinners in the rest of the world?

Considering how Western governments are manipulated by their pharmaceutical industry, I am much more inclined to trust the numbers of the more independent countries.

39 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They are and that's why they managed to prevent casualties and large lockdowns, because they tested from early on.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-learning-how-to-dance-b8420170203e

0*RGMgVVYA2gzfUI7T

Taiwan enacted numerous measures very early and did them well.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762689

It's almost as if they didn't believe a word of what the CCP was disclosing publicly about the virus early on. 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 11:51 AM, sapson said:

Or perhaps very limited testing and life goes on people are sick recover and older people are sick and many dont recover and die, very much the norm in rural areas ........ limited routine testing except for returnees from abroad.

Go through the motions of lockdown restrictions but just a charade as far as the real Covid situation and testing goes..............lift the carpet all hands to the brooms.

Yea needless to say it wasn't because of the governments great management skills just a few weeks in the was a shortage of face-masks although they make them here.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:00 PM, Ratchsima said:

And for the hospital seating social distancing policies, they keep up and  done their jobs by separating seat. Many countries doing that. I dont know how you come up with the effectiveness. Do you have the hospitals kpi?

If you read the original post that I responded to, older folk were sitting in the 'separate seats' in the hospital he mentioned. And in the bank area of my BiG C supermarket there are countless numbers just mingling around - which makes the seats outside BKK irrelevant in containing any spread of the virus.

On 5/28/2020 at 9:05 PM, DrTuner said:

They are and that's why they managed to prevent casualties and large lockdowns, because they tested from early on.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-learning-how-to-dance-b8420170203e

0*RGMgVVYA2gzfUI7T

Lol, of course with miniscule testing Japan, Taiwan et al have the virus under control. No testing for Covid19 equals no deaths of Covid19.  Here is the truth about testing:

No Asian testing.png

On 5/28/2020 at 7:04 PM, Logosone said:

Simples.

Not so simple Sherlock!

Fewer tests = fewer cases.

Testing does not impact on deaths (apart from the possibility that a positive test may get someone in a risk group earlier medical attention)

Mortality rates are quoted in deaths per million of population..................... nothing to do with tests.................... look at Russia as a classic example.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Testing does not impact on deaths (apart from the possibility that a positive test may get someone in a risk group earlier medical attention)

Lol, oh really, testing does not impact the death from Covid19 figures?

How on earth would you know if someone died of Covid 19 if they've not been tested for the virus?

Only through testing can that death be attributed to Covid19.

If there is no testing on a meaningful scale VERY OBVIOUSLY Covid19 deaths will appear to be low.

Simples.

Mortality rates are quoted in deaths per million of population..................... nothing to do with tests.................... look at Russia as a classic example.

Do you not get it? Only if tests were done does a death even show up in the Covid19 mortality rate.

Russia has done huge amounts of testing, unlike Asian countries, so naturally they have high figures in the Covid19 category.

How is this not obvious?

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Logosone said:

Lol, of course with miniscule testing Japan, Taiwan et al have the virus under control.

The other factor was that they started testing early and have effective tracing program. Once you know the clusters and have prevented further spread, testing in large scale becomes useless as the hit rate for positives plummet. Then you can scale that part back.

Dr Plipat from DDC in Thailand tried to explain this in the video with the foreign correspondents club, but it's not valid in Thailand, because they did not test fast enough in the early days (which were probably in November, as in zero tests).

Speed is a big factor in both testing (end-to-end including sampling and reporting) and contact tracing. Taiwan and South Korea excelled in this, you can read from Pueyo's article just how thorough they were. As the result, they got it under control.

• Like 2