Trump to announce strong Hong Kong response this week

webfact

10 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

I always find it amusing when an anonymous poster on an internet bulletin board speaks of others being a coward. So tell us... in your expert opinion, what do you think Trump should do? And how does your expectation compare with what past presidents have done?

The city to lose its special trading status with the United States is punishing the residents and in no way hurts China

On 5/28/2020 at 6:30 AM, earlinclaifornia said:

The city to lose its special trading status with the United States is punishing the residents and in no way hurts China

That could well be the case. I love(d?) Hong Kong, why could they have not just left it alone ????.

I'll have to (try and) check the country of origin for everything I buy now, until 2049!

Looks like the British Gov is considering to let the B.O.passport holders come to the UK now, which may be  a good initiative.

It is so sad that the pre 1997 HK residents and their kids, are having their lives disrupted in this way though, as well as the stability for expats there may be diminished (a prevailing trend in various places it would seem).

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UKresonant said:

That could well be the case. I love(d?) Hong Kong, why could they have not just left it alone ????.

I'll have to (try and) check the country of origin for everything I buy now, until 2049!

Looks like the British Gov is considering to let the B.O.passport holders come to the UK now, which may be  a good initiative.

It is so sad that the pre 1997 HK residents and their kids, are having their lives disrupted in this way though, as well as the stability for expats there may be diminished (a prevailing trend in various places it would seem).

It could be a smart move by the UK.It may  go someways to rehabilitate their tattered reputation, after the Brexit mess and now being the Super Dunce in the Covid 19 class (along with US).

Motivated Immigrants are the best new citizens a country could have! Look at what successive waves have done for the USA.

In a less publicized way the UK has also benefited from this, in the past; eg search the history of the forced expulsion of Asians from Uganda in the early 1970,s. Most of them were accepted by, and settled in, the UK. They ended up making an enormous contribution to the UK and to its  society. The businesses and wealth ,created by this immigrant group, over the last fifty years, is simply astonishing given the small numbers involved. 

Edited by wordchild
  • Confused 1

On 5/27/2020 at 8:01 PM, Crazy Alex said:

I always find it amusing when an anonymous poster on an internet bulletin board speaks of others being a coward. 

555. And who are you, Crazy? The conservatives on this forum are all closeted shut-ins. Not a friend in the world and never go out. Just spew on ThaiVisa. Pathetic. 

On 5/27/2020 at 7:03 AM, wordchild said:

As a President he has been a disaster. 

He has significantly damaged his country's standing in the world and his moral authority is pretty much zero. He is not taken seriously  by anyone anymore,  excepting his core base. 

This is a tragedy because, on China, he is right!

The world needs a collective response to China across a range of issues, sadly Trump is in no position to lead this.

His speech was very powerful. Maybe, as they say, come the time come the man. And I'm no Trump supporter, being UK based. In fact, I thought he was supposed to be some kind of joke. But as a working class man, him calling a spade a spade has a certain appeal.

1 minute ago, nausea said:

His speech was very powerful. Maybe, as they say, come the time come the man. And I'm no Trump supporter, being UK based. In fact, I thought he was supposed to be some kind of joke. But as a working class man, him calling a spade a spade has a certain appeal.

He is calling a heart a spade. How anyone can claim 'he calls it as it is', with almost 20,000 lies in 3+ years, really is beyond me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

He is calling a heart a spade. How anyone can claim 'he calls it as it is', with almost 20,000 lies in 3+ years, really is beyond me.

You disagree then, with what he says about China? We all fart around to some extent, what matters is what you do when push comes to shove.

Edited by nausea
Spelling

19 minutes ago, nausea said:

You disagree then, with what he says about China? We all fart around to some extent, what matters is what you do when push comes to shove.

He blew his chances on china, and when push comes to shove he has done nothing at all. Right now he is doing anything he can to distract from his failings, which are hurting his re-election chances. He doesn't care about anything else.

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

He blew his chances on china, and when push comes to shove he has done nothing at all. Right now he is doing anything he can to distract from his failings, which are hurting his re-election chances. He doesn't care about anything else.

You didn't answer my questiion. It had a big ? mark at the end, in case you're confused. Yeah, I'd agree, he's going big. The guy was always a showman, but wasn't Caesar or Napoleon. It's nothing new. Can he deliver, that is the question, or is it all just rhetoric.

Edited by nausea

1 hour ago, nausea said:

You didn't answer my questiion. It had a big ? mark at the end, in case you're confused. Yeah, I'd agree, he's going big. The guy was always a showman, but wasn't Caesar or Napoleon. It's nothing new. Can he deliver, that is the question, or is it all just rhetoric.

I think my answer was very clear.

Caesar got killed, Napoleon sent far away and died a miserable death. And no, that is not the question, he has not delivered anything abroad, that will not change.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I just saw other statistics, HK imports 30 billion, exports 40 billion. For the latter see here, http://www.worldstopexports.com/hong-kongs-top-import-partners/

Strange, it's not what the official US stats show. I initially thought the difference was due to the addition of services, but your source only mentions goods.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5820.html