BANGKOK

looking for some advice from others based on my current situation...

i'm suffering from mild depression, mostly due to not currently working, lack of exercise and drinking

maybe it's something i've always had, which has been masked by drinking (usually starting in the afternoon or early evening, no spirits)

I would like to go down the medical route initially but in the past have tried both SSRIs/SNRIs and have felt literally nothing off them so stopped using them after 6 weeks (could this be down to drinking?). The only medicine that has ever worked is a low dose of Tramadol, which for me acts as an instant anti-depressant, and gives me energy to exercise, but this is frowned upon.

any tips? I know exercise will fix it without medicine but I have no energy or motivation to start doing it again...

there are steps between drinking and anti depressants.
if you need counseling I could recommend Ben Weinstein with PSI

but not the other guys there.

Posted (edited)

You need to get down to your nearest government psychiatric hospital and get back on the meds first and foremost as they can take many weeks to start working. Plus the doctor will start you on a low dose to check for any side effects before increasing your dosage, if needed. There's no magic bullet with depression/anxiety so you don't give up after 6 weeks on the meds. 

Also I've found that exercise produced adrenaline will help along with talking to someone about your problems. A problem shared is a problem halved. If you need someone to confide with then message me. I've had depression/anxiety for longer than I want to recall. But as said 'first get back on the meds'.    

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Op, you don't say where you are, but for you or anyone else in the Pattaya area, go to Pratamak Hill mountain loop, many people walk around there and it's a nice green area, may get talking to other people too. I usually include it when i go for a walk, many others go by motorbike there then walk around the 1km loop a few times

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

First of all, given the advice, I hope this is not going to be a thread where the OP never appears again???

Fwiw, I am in exactly the same boat. I'm not one for giving out 'professional' advice, primarily for 2 reason, firstly most folk just ignore it anyway, and 2 I only really think you can help yourself, at the end of the day. If it' s just mild depression, or to put it another way 'boredom and lack of motivation' there is no way I would start taking any meds..

To contradict myself slightly, what you really need is 'cheering up' What I do for this is go out for a bit, anywhere. as you will feel much better once you are outside away from the 4 walls. If in a car stick some music on. If you have a park/lake nearby go for a walk, don't think of it as exercise, it's a walk. Buy yourself something or treat somebody else, or think about where your next trip might be after this covid nightmare, look at some hotels. I've always thought it's important to something to look forward to, to see a picture of better times ahead, it will give you a warm like feeling for a while..

And oh, try to stop feeling too sorry for yourself, and remember, there are many people who are far worse off than you, who believe it or not, would love to have your 'life'

Edited by Keyser Soze666
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Op, you don't say where you are, but for you or anyone else in the Pattaya area, go to Pratamak Hill mountain loop, many people walk around there and it's a nice green area, may get talking to other people too. I usually include it when i go for a walk, many others go by motorbike there then walk around the 1km loop a few times

Yes, good shout

• Haha 1