Bus company fined 10,000 baht for ripping off passenger

webfact

Bus company fined 10,000 baht for ripping off passenger

2pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Thai media Naew Na reported that the company that had charged a bus passenger nearly double for a ticket from Pattaya to the north east has been fined 10,000 baht for overcharging. 

However, the media made no mention of the central issue to the overcharging - that new regulations mean buses have to go half empty due to social distancing requirements.

The move by the Chonburi transport authorities came after a man posted on Facebook that he went from Pattaya to Nong Khai.

It was discovered that he paid 910 baht for the trip to Phon Phisai district instead of the set fare of 517 baht.

This fell foul of regulation 159.

The service at fault was bus #590 run by the 407 Pattana Co Ltd. 

The company were warned about their future behavior and given some attitude adjustment training as well as the fine 

Thaivisa notes that many travellers fear they will pay more for travel as bus companies are forced to comply with the "new normal" and space out customers on separate seats to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

Air travellers also fear a severe hike in fares after an expected honeymoon period to woo back passengers.

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-27

• Like 1

Bought the most expensive bus ticket for aircon from Pattaya to Chaing Mai...deluxe bus came and they told me "not your bus".

Cattle car bus came...put me on the most uncomfortable bus you can imagine...cramped in hard seat all night...too many stops to count...still <deleted>!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Bought the most expensive bus ticket for aircon from Pattaya to Chaing Mai...deluxe bus came and they told me "not your bus".

Cattle car bus came...put me on the most uncomfortable bus you can imagine...cramped in hard seat all night...too many stops to count...still <deleted>!

Think we all get to take that bus if we stay in LOS long enough, part of the learning curve....sux

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, bluesofa said:
39 minutes ago, petermik said:

What exactly is "attitude adjustment training".......:sad:

I assumed it involved a couple of electrodes, some cable and a mains supply.

Or could be doing a traditional Thai dance like the non mask wearers.

• Haha 2

"It was discovered that he paid 910 baht for the trip to Phon Phisai district instead of the set fare of 517 baht."

If buses are required to run half full, seems they gave him something of a discount as 2 seats would be 1034 baht

I suppose they could charge regular fare and take half way there as alternative strategy

7 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Same happened to me. I bought a VIP ticket (900 baht) from Chom Phae (Issan) to Chiang Mai (Lanna). Same type of bus, with cracked windscreen, broken air vents stuffed with tissue paper, hard seat, 2 elderly drivers in "civvies" (no uniforms), stops on the way so that relief driver could get out with a spanner and tinker around in the engine, food in boxes stored on the floor opposite the toilet from which water leaked and no water in the toilet other than a large plastic barrel containing a plastic scoop!! I immediately complained on entering the bus but was told "this is THE bus". At one point on the journey, smoke entered the passenger area (smelt like overheating brakes). Never went by bus again as one could then fly across from Khon Kaen or Udon Thani!

• Like 1

All those agreeing with the fine, what is your solution instead of hanging the company? Anyone have the answer, or are you just talk and no substance?

The bus company can only take half the passengers now, making the journey arguably more pleasant for the fare paid by the way, so of course they have to increase the fare to avoid making a loss. Or the alternative is to run no service at all, leaving no-one a way to get where they need to go.

Why is that so hard to understand? Come on, geniuses. What's your solution?

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

All those agreeing with the fine, what is your solution instead of hanging the company? Anyone have the answer, or are you just talk and no substance?

The bus company can only take half the passengers now, making the journey arguably more pleasant for the fare paid by the way, so of course they have to increase the fare to avoid making a loss. Or the alternative is to run no service at all, leaving no-one a way to get where they need to go.

Fire the ticket agents that sell VIP tickets...place people on the cheapest buses...and pocket the difference...

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If i owned the bus company, pay  the fine and withdraw the service until a predator comes along then reinstate, you cant operate on 50% usage unless the fares were based on that from the start, as we will all find out with air travel soon enough i fear

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:
23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Fire the ticket agents that sell VIP tickets...place people on the cheapest buses...and pocket the difference...

That has nothing at all to do with this topic about fining a company for charging a realistic price.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That has nothing at all to do with this topic about fining a company for charging a realistic price.

It has everything to do with this topic...the topic is exposing bus company employees corruption and ripp offs...any questions?

Edited by Puchaiyank
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

No profit, no business= no bus.  Why do people expect the bus company to run at a loss.  

Which is why so many have no buses on the road.  Government will not support them,  why run a loss each trip? 

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It has everything to do with this topic...the topic is exposing bus company employees corruption and ripp offs...any questions?

If you think charging double because you are forced to carry only half the passengers is corruption and a rip-off then we'll have to agree to disagree. It's basic economics. If they don't do that then they'll operate at a loss. I would have thought that was obvious even to a child. I'm glad for them that you are not their business manager because you clearly don't have a clue how to operate such a business. If they kept the fare at the same level then they would not have a business for long.

Despite the inaccurate and inflammatory headline there was no rip-off but, instead, sound business sense. So now I'll repeat my original question which you conveniently ignored so you could divert the topic to suit your own agenda. This thread has nothing at all to do with agents who charge a VIP fare for a ramshackle old bus. Nothing at all. What is your solution when you can by law carry only half the passengers you used to? I look forward to your answer.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1