Pattaya residents, where are you?

Brunolem

A friend in Pattaya is sending me daily videos from the city, and it is frightening! 

It feels more like the aftermath of a nuclear accident, than the return to life after a pandemic. 

There are very few taxis/songthaew, and when he finally gets one, he sits alone in it. 

Traffic is almost inexistant... no motorbikes roaming the roads in Pattaya, can you believe that? 

Malls are empty... you can count the visitors with the fingers of one hand. 

Yesterday, he was at the Royal Garden at 6PM...not one soul! 

Same thing a little bit later at the Central. 

Where is the population? 

Many Thais may have chose to return to their villages, but what about the tens of thousands of farang residents? 

There is far more life and activity in my remote area in Sisaket province, where the nearest small city is busy as usual. 

Has Pattaya become toxic? 

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Many Thais may have chose to return to their villages,

but what about the tens of thousands of farang residents?

Tens of thousands?? I really doubt they were so many. :unsure:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Around 2010, there were over 40,000 farangs with a retirement visa in Pattaya... and that was only those with this specific visa... (that was headline news in the Pattaya Mail at the time). 

I doubt that these numbers have gone down since... on the contrary... 

since some years there was a downtrend and especially this corona thing has  nearly extinct all farang long staying expats in Pattaya !! 

22 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Over here on the Darkside, where most expats live, life is pretty much back to normal. No reason to go into Pattaya, although I've been in a couple of times, lunch at Bake 'n Brew (x2) and dentist. Over here, things will be 100% back to normal when the bars open and restaurants serve alcohol again.

Agreed. Most just stay at home and only venture into town if and when they really have to. Remember many blame the farangs for this and think that we are extremely rich.

I was thinking about heading down to Pattaya (Jomtien) for a few days R&R when the internal travel restrictions end next Sunday. After reading you report, I don't think I'll bother. Doesn't sound like much fun, but all the best Pattaya, hope you make it through the crisis.

1 hour ago, wombat said:

where are we ?
we are all being good little vegemites and social distancing while watching frustrations being played out on social media.
what are you doing ?

I am actually at Central Ubon...lots of people there, almost business as usual.

Looks like Pattaya is losing its mojo...no extreme city anymore?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, Brunolem said:

Many Thais may have chose to return to their villages, but what about the tens of thousands of farang residents? 

I agree with what you are saying, but numbers who actually live in central Pattaya are much less than that, probably less than 5,000. There are many who live in Jomtien and like me over on the Darkside. With the lack of bars, cinemas and restaurants that sell alcohol open, there is little need to come into the the centre.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jimn said:

There are many who live in Jomtien and like me over on the Darkside.

Also substantial numbers in the neighbouring Tambons: in Banglamung, Sri Racha and Sattahip.

When we can come into Central Pattaya for a beer or six, then we will be there!  At least until Sukhumvit and Pattaya become once again a giant parking lot :-(.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mick501 said:

When out and about I like to pass the time by masturbating on the beach, waiting in food queues, accosting strangers whilst not wearing a face mask, and going on drug fueled abusive rampages through the streets.  Whilst at home it's more low key.  Just chilling in my undies on the roof and waving a machete at passers by, or tossing the girl I met the night before off the balcony.   

All pretty much business as usual in Pattaya, right?

I recognize every landmark you post here. Should I be concerned? ????

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, J Town said:

I recognize every landmark you post here. Should I be concerned? ????

Nah, all good.  Even now managed to control the urges to spit on elevator buttons.   Nothing to worry about here.

Edited by Mick501
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I was thinking about heading down to Pattaya (Jomtien) for a few days R&R when the internal travel restrictions end next Sunday. After reading you report, I don't think I'll bother. Doesn't sound like much fun, but all the best Pattaya, hope you make it through the crisis.

Yeah save your money unless you like peace and quiet, are happy drinking in your room, and only want to look at the sand as it's full of covid so the govt is protecting us from that danger ????

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 11:54 AM, Brunolem said:

Around 2010, there were over 40,000 farangs with a retirement visa in Pattaya... and that was only those with this specific visa... (that was headline news in the Pattaya Mail at the time). 

I doubt that these numbers have gone down since... on the contrary... 

I thought most of these were chucked off balconies by 37kg bar girls or hormone

crazy, yabba addicted lady boys, not to mention the thousands killed daily on the 

roads, kidnapped by thieving families up country for their tiny pensions.

All the above happen so the time from what I read here.....

2 hours ago, PGSan said:

Also substantial numbers in the neighbouring Tambons: in Banglamung, Sri Racha and Sattahip.

When we can come into Central Pattaya for a beer or six, then we will be there!  At least until Sukhumvit and Pattaya become once again a giant parking lot :-(.

Breaking news!

National emergency to end July 1st. All restrictions lifted. Party time!

• Like 1