Pick-up driver dead after crashing vehicle into lamppost in northern Thailand

webfact

Pick-up driver dead after crashing vehicle into lamppost in northern Thailand

7pm.jpg
Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that police and rescue services in Phayao in northern Thailand went to an accident scene on the Mae Sai to Mae Na Reua road near the PTT gas station. 

Thirawat, 27, had driven his Isuzu pick-up into a lamppost snapping it and bending his vehicle in half. 

He was still alive and was cut out but died from his injuries later in Phayao Hospital. 

Source: Naew Na

• Sad 1

Well he didn't drive his pick up into the pole, he lost control and broadsided into the pole. T- boning as the Americans say.

Another young life lost due to the lack of appreciation that pick ups are dangerous vehicles that shouldn't be driven so fast.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Had a Neighbours 23 year old Son lost his life in a similar accident two years ago.  He would drive flat out wherever he went, didn't need a Pick-Up as never carried a thing in the back, just used to race it everywhere he went and thought he was 'Lord of the Road' as he put it.  Never worked and still lived with Mum and Dad.   His Parents were warned about the way he drove but they would always laugh and say he knew what he was doing !

Just seen a yt video about drag racing pickups on the public(!) ringroad south of Udon Thani.

Crazy.

BUT: they fix significant metal weights under the back!

The picture in the OP again shows that pickups here are far from firm/sturdy.

Unfortunately no picture of the "lamppost".

What I understand as lamppost would not crush a pickup.

1 minute ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Didn't Top Gear try to destroy one, dropping it from a crane, or was it the Honda Cub scooter.

I only remember an episode with the Toyota Hilux.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just seen a yt video about drag racing pickups on the public(!) ringroad south of Udon Thani.

Crazy.

BUT: they fix significant metal weights under the back!

The picture in the OP again shows that pickups here are far from firm/sturdy.

Unfortunately no picture of the "lamppost".

What I understand as lamppost would not crush a pickup.

It's not the lamppost that does the crushing, it's the kinetic energy in the vehicle and the side is the weakest point of most vehicles.

Modern lampposts are designed to snap off when hit by a vehicle. I don't know whether that's true of lampposts here. I've never examined one in detail.

• Thanks 1

I reckon he drove around for a few hours looking for someone to crash into, no luck, so got angry and smashed it into post

Desperate times require desperate measures

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I thought Isuzu pickups were invincible.

Didn't Top Gear try to destroy one, dropping it from a crane, or was it the Honda Cub scooter. 

Toyota hilux

6 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I thought Isuzu pickups were invincible.

It was a Toyota. They left it on the beach at Burnham on Sea - the tide came in, flooded it, went out. It started.

They put it on the roof of a tower block in Glasgow, which was demolished by high explosives. It started. 

As Hammond said, when the wreck was driven into the studio; "I've taxed worse..."