Why Thailand isn't reopening to international tourists yet

anchadian

Some news today:

The government has set July 1 for the lift of all business and activity lockdowns ordered earlier to cope with the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), said the National Security Council chief.

These include interprovincial and international travel, as well as the end of emergency decree and curfew.

NSC secretary-general Gen Somsak Rungsita said on Thursday that the lift of restrictions would be a complete reopening of the country. Officials would next month prepare measures for the reopening.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Shocked that Thai officials are playing it this way, and on first appearance commendable. However, very hard to believe the shutdown will really stick long, and it would not surprise me if they end up opening MUCH sooner, like in say a month or 2.  Thailand is suffering w/o tourism.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, sdweller said:

Shocked that Thai officials are playing it this way, and on first appearance commendable. However, very hard to believe the shutdown will really stick long, and it would not surprise me if they end up opening MUCH sooner, like in say a month or 2.  Thailand is suffering w/o tourism.

Just announced all lockdowns lifted  inc. International travel July 1st

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

At the moment, Thailand is only accepting returning Thais plus a few exceptions.

Daily, we read that some of these Thais have the virus or are suspected of having the virus. The number of returnees each day is in the 100's.

How bad would it be if Thailand was accepting 1,000's or 10,000's every day???

Safer to keep the borders closed for a few more months even though my business is suffering as we depend on tourists.

But then you would be forced to close the borders for 1 year, 2 years, several years? Nobody knows if and when a vaccine is available.

Just close the borders is not an intelligent solution to the problem.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Some news today:

The government has set July 1 for the lift of all business and activity lockdowns ordered earlier to cope with the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), said the National Security Council chief.

These include interprovincial and international travel, as well as the end of emergency decree and curfew.

NSC secretary-general Gen Somsak Rungsita said on Thursday that the lift of restrictions would be a complete reopening of the country. Officials would next month prepare measures for the reopening.

thats fine for us here BUT
will they still require a negative covid certificate/ insurance for $100,000/possible 14 day quarantine for arrivals?

Until they remove these 3 requirements very few, if any, tourists will arrive, even if the country is open

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 2

Just relax guys, and give them time to announce the details, perhaps up to mid-June.

All just speculation about the quarantine, covid test etc. until we have an announcement.

People do not need to know "NOW" - you and me have no rights in Thailand and if we are lucky we can go back and they open again.

8 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

This is the perfect time and "excuse" to really review their archaic immigration legislation and make it far less offensive to the foreign community.

So what are the odds of the dreaded TM30 and total waste of time 90 day report returning? Gentlemen, place your bets.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Tracing app surely covers those !!

Don't give them ideas. Do you want them to know where you are all the time? Invasion of privacy. Given the Thai xenophobia towards us I would not be surprised if they wanted to implant a chip in us.

I want less restrictions and less stupid paperwork.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Sad 1

Countries can open up, however, there is no guarantee people are in the mood to travel.

Many have taken personal financial hits during this pandemic.

Although we can personally afford to fly anywhere, we are in NO mood to get on an airplane right now and maybe not even this year.

Sure there must be masses thinking the same thing.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Don't give them ideas. Do you want them to know where you are all the time? Invasion of privacy. Given the Thai xenophobia towards us I would not be surprised if they wanted to implant a chip in us.

my sim is not registered in my name......... care factor is zero.

12 hours ago, Mulambana said:

They are sexobrimic migrants to Thailand and to some extents Vietnam, and Cambidia, and Phillipines.

sexobrimic

Have you just made that word up?.........along with Cambidia,

Edited by sanuk711
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

sexobrimic

Have you just made that word up?.........along with Cambidia,

Im assuming sexobrimic means brimming with fervid sexuality?

"Donald had spent $375 this month on trips to the barbershop alone, not to mention increasing his time and regimen at his local gym. 
"It really shows, doesn't it, Agnes?" remarked Maureen, as they studied Don's chiselled posterior as he passed them on the way to the water cooler. 
"Indeed it does, he's positively sexobrimic in even the most mundane of tasks! Why, only yesterday he was re-filling the photocopier and managed to make that look like a scene out of 50 shades of grey!"
Maureen looked at Agnes through narrowed eyes. 

"You're really weird, do you know that?" she retorted, tapping the end of her biro against her chin as she looked down her nose at her colleague. 
"I'm not even sure sexobrimic is a real word!"
"Oh it is - shall I give you an example?" breathed Agnes.
"No!" Maureen shot back, "We haven't the time - I've got a dozen parcels to get to the mail room, or we'll miss the last post to Cambidia."

20 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

it would appear that even with the govt avoiding widespread testing the levels of virus are extremely low in the region.the economy is stunted the govt seems paralysed in some aspects of opening up and peoples incomes are declining and businesses failing.masks are generally worn by most people and hand washings widespread too,it appears effective.as for foreign tourists we go from one extreme to the other,no matter what ,the govt was allowing millions of PRC tourists in and in the end it took china to end it.now they are not allowing anyone in but im sure the first will be the original infectors!so many countries close by are clear ,vietnam hk ,taiwan,japan,s korea philippines malaysia,singapore .these countries can surely come and go by mid june.im seperated from my fiancee and many others from wives etc,we cant get them in or leave ,its frustrating given the fact asia by and large has defeated the problem,so why are we stuck at this impasse?well many of these govts are authoritarian.simple as that .even europes opening up for tourism,it will be possible for a singaporean japanese hk er etc to go to greece or spain but not visit here,credit that?it is possible to allow travel shortly,another few weeks and the virus is gone in the region.the above mentioned countries should be allowed to travel but not china as theyve shown they lied and thats not changed.this deceit resulting in death and poverty should not be rewarded.they even blamed africans for it in china.lets move forward using intelligence and get our economy,lives and people moving in the start of july

Would you like me go to your fiancee and give her a fruit basket out of ur name ? 

14 hours ago, cerox said:

Just relax guys, and give them time to announce the details, perhaps up to mid-June.

All just speculation about the quarantine, covid test etc. until we have an announcement.

People do not need to know "NOW" - you and me have no rights in Thailand and if we are lucky we can go back and they open again.

Actually tourists are actually also working folks. They do need to plan ahead for their holiday dates, destinations, air/hotel reservations and document requirements.

the earlier a solid plan is announced the sooner plans and reservations begin. If Vietnam is bookable and Hassle free then they win

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobec said:

Actually tourists are actually also working folks. They do need to plan ahead for their holiday dates, destinations, air/hotel reservations and document requirements.

the earlier a solid plan is announced the sooner plans and reservations begin. If Vietnam is bookable and Hassle free then they win

They will open on July 1st. What the terms and conditions for entry will be imposed we have yet to find out. Could be:

Free for all. -  The virus will undoubtedly return and trigger further lockdowns.

Covid insurance. - Impossible to obtain. - Pointless reopening.

Covid free certificate. - Very difficult to obtain, impossible in many countries. Again pointless reopening.

14 day government quarantine on arrival. - Pointless for tourists but doable for those who reside in Thailand but can't currently enter.

Covid test on arrival. - The tests currently available that are relatively instant are currently highly unreliable.

Entry restricted to those from certain counties. IMO probably the most likely but not cast iron insurance against Covid resurgence in Thailand.

We'll have to wait and see but don't expect it to be a bed of roses.

Edited by Phil McCaverty