Thailand reports nine new coronavirus cases, no new deaths

webfact

The way they are reporting the cases has made it seem like they had just arrived.  However, in doing more of a review, many of them had already been taken to a quarantine facility unless hey had a fever, and for whatever reason were taken to a hospital.  PUIC is another interesting category.  Unsure how they are coming up with those figures.

17 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Yeah. I'm concerned that there are different ideas about what it means to be super careful

Do you restrict people from places with highest number of infections, or highest number as a percentage of their population? That would make a big difference. For example, if half the people in the country of Aruba were infected, that would still be only 50k in raw number. So, comparatively speaking, the U.S. (say, with current moment figures) with about 2 million cases would look like a better candidate for banning. But, in that scenario, Aruba has a 50% infection rate and the U.S. less than 1%. As a ratio to the population, the U.S. would be much, much safer than Aruba. There's also the point that in big countries, cases are centered in some areas and mostly lacking in others. In the U.S. a large percentage of the cases are in just 3 or 4 states. To really be careful, people from states with a high percentage of cases to the state population would make more sense. 

Also, what about countries whose reported numbers are just not valid due to either inadequate testing or dishonesty? 

Hopefully there is a reasonable and careful policy but one that is not too restrictive. And, being from the U.S. and missing my daughter quite a lot, I hope that whatever the case, travel between here and there is possible. I agree that those certificates are going to remain impossible to get because they are stupid and however dysfunctional the medical system is there, I've worked with many doctors in my career and can't think of one that would quickly produce a fake certificate like that just so someone can travel. Too many rules against malpractice there for that to happen much. 

I was discussing this with a friend last night, and he suggested that certain countries will emerge, as centers for Covid free letters. Makes alot of sense. Mexico, Norway, who knows? A $200 letter, and as Americans we can travel freely. Just because we are from the US, does not mean we need the health letter from the US. 

19 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Then why are schools closed, beaches closed, no alchohol allowed to be served at restaurants, islands closed, a state of emergency extended, interprovincal travel restricted, and why do a litany of other regulations remain in place which deny Thais to earn a  living?

It seems from the government figures that the ban on foreign arrivals is all that's needed. 

Let Thais get back to work!

Either they are being super paranoid, super careful, or simply clinging to the power and do not want to let it go. I fully agree about letting the people get back to work. A friend of mine who lives on Samui, said it is like a ghost town. Most Thais have abandoned their shops, and fled the island, since there are few foreigners there at this time. Most restaurants are either closed, or empty. Millions could end up without jobs, for a long time to come. The longer this inane shutdown lasts, the harder the recovery will be. Thailand is likely looking at negative 8-15% growth this year. International tourism is not returning anytime soon. The group that Thailand targets, was the hardest hit group by this shutdown. 

so basically, outside of people who arrived to thailand from elsewhere who were infected and under quarantine, thus not able to have infected anyone since there arrival, yesterday there were no cases in the thailand general population.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

That is not true.

Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year, according to a new estimate that's higher than the previous one of 250,000 to 500,000 deaths a year. 

Source: https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=208914

C19 death worldwide all together around 350.000 (stat. Date 26. May 2020)

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1093256/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-deaths-worldwide-by-country/

The general statement: "There are many many more deaths with covid-19 than flu." is scientifically unsustainable.

A couple of points that need to be noted.  We are only 5 months into the year and are already over 350,000  and dont forget to take into account the majority of countries taking various lockdown measures to flatten this curve that also doesnt happen for the yearly flu.  

On 5/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, ThailandRyan said:

There you have it, It is all the dirty foreigners fault.  They infected our poor Thai people before they could come home and return to the cradle of no infection.  Bad Farang, no tourism for you.

Sill trying to figure out how they were cleared to fly....but whatever, they are here now and getting treatment.

Let everyone blame the Samaritan.

Edited by tybuchanan
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I was discussing this with a friend last night, and he suggested that certain countries will emerge, as centers for Covid free letters. Makes alot of sense. Mexico, Norway, who knows? A $200 letter, and as Americans we can travel freely. Just because we are from the US, does not mean we need the health letter from the US. 

Yeah, one will have to travel to a location where you can get the letter. I've worked for two decades in healthcare in the U.S. and can't think of a single doctor I've worked with who would readily risk his/her license to write this type of fake letter that Thailand will want.

Edited by JCP108

On 5/27/2020 at 9:47 PM, NightSky said:

Are you living under a rock?

There are many many more deaths with covid-19 than flu.

More like umonia which was cause by virus

If your so confident there is no covid19 then fine someone that is infected and kiss them