04 : Building a house - Nong Kung Si - Initial Drawings, Initial Builder

We started building a house (on paper) with a builder in Kalasin. We had a two story design that we were working through. Here is a beautiful 3D rendering of what the house would look like.
<Front view - 3D rendering - บ้านพี่สร1.JPG>

1256806445_1.JPG.79b7fcf4beb45cd8a0f43a9b03dfea56.JPG

We kept struggling with the floor plan to get it right (what my wife and I wanted). My wife wanted a Hong Pra and private bathrooms for all the bedrooms. I wanted a big open floorplan downstairs with a small bedroom downstairs (for me when I can't do stairs). 
<Initial Plans>

DDHouse_FirstFloor_Original.thumb.jpg.25c1e650a4b07d1aebbf9adc30a4aa8b.jpg

DDHouse_SecondFloor_Original.thumb.jpg.5c379f4d726e08aff7f40be7cad20431.jpg

It was basically a struggle to get things done and we did not feel like we were getting many ideas from the builder. I hired an Architect here in America and he came up with some great ideas which we implemented in the plans.  
<Example feedback>

DDHousePlansReviewedByAmericanArchitect_Page2.thumb.jpg.be6849595f45da3c301868606d726061.jpg

DDHousePlansReviewedByAmericanArchitect_Page3.thumb.jpg.5e1810c2baf508cf3ed4843ebc198c06.jpg

DDHousePlansReviewedByAmericanArchitect_Page4.thumb.jpg.2dc3949dffe81f36fc4e4a6532a7184e.jpg

We ended up with this design after a couple months of back and forth.
<Final Plans>

DDHouse_FirstFloor_20200423.thumb.jpg.47e3e7419eff80ef2fbfb3f5d4aded3d.jpg

DDHouse_SecondFloor_20200423.thumb.jpg.ec87ad444dc5d73f0e3a166edc684fb3.jpg

Our main issues with this design was the poles in the middle of open rooms downstairs and the clunky flow to everything. The more we struggled, the more we could not get it right. We can do better...

Attachments:
3D rendering of house - front view
Initial Plans - two page PDF
American Architect feedback - just an example of three of the pages
"Final Plans" - as far as we took them with this builder

• Like 1

A competent builder / architect should be able to do longer unsupported spans, we have an area 6m x 10m with no columns but the beams holding up upstairs are not small.

Large open-plan areas need a LOT of cooling! Our big space has no walls just fans and lots of shade plants.

You may want to increase the roof overhang to at least 1.5m for better shading of the walls, needing less cooling inside.

Does anyone actually use balconies off bedrooms?

Consider where you are going to put your A/C outdoor units, don't spoil your facade with a box saying Samsung.

I would have gabled roofs, easy to install attic ventilation that doesn't leak and avoid roof valleys like the plague, they WILL leak.

The configuration of the downstairs bathrooms confuses me, I'm sure you have your reasons mind.

• Like 1

Hi Crossy,

This post is basically documenting history... where we were at about a month ago. I'll put together another post soon, but to spoil it a little - new builder, and new plans that solve our issues.

I am learning each step as I go. Making these posts so future falang homebuilders can decide which to follow and which to skip ????

• Like 2

Too many windows and doors IMO, yes you want light but that brings with it heat! Western design and Thai weather don't marry well, if its 38°c outside and you open all the doors and windows all you do is equalise the heat and make it 38° inside as well, cooling cross breezes are just a fallacy! Build in as much shade as you can, good design and practicality can be miles apart, as Crossy says, balconies and doors out to the balcony, I have had in the past - never used, just adds to cooling and security risk, personal preference is I would never use sliding doors or windows either.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Petey303 said:

Hi Crossy,

This post is basically documenting history... where we were at about a month ago. I'll put together another post soon, but to spoil it a little - new builder, and new plans that solve our issues.

I am learning each step as I go. Making these posts so future falang homebuilders can decide which to follow and which to skip ????

I see you have increased the size of the garage but if you buy a Fortuner or something similar it will be a very tight fit especially where the steps are.

First good luck with the build. It's a beautiful house.

A bit off topic but nevertheless worth mentioning. With everything going on and the lack of user friendliness towards foreign spouses and ability to return home to their families I wish I was at your stage with plans in my hand.

I wouldn't do as I have done.

Unless this is just a holiday home think carefully.

For instance if I wanted to take my (Thai) family home with me to the US now from my overseas location I could with emergency repatriation flights.

If we were to try and return to our home in Thailand they could go with embassy assistance.  I however COULD NOT go with them.

Red flags all round for me. That's not a cheap village house you are building.

If you go ahead listen to Crossy re the cooling and certainly avoid roof valleys they WILL Leak and become a major headache.  I'm there now with the house and not on the ground to address it 

Edited by maprao

garage way to small, depth and on sides  of cars

what  about mud room, coat closet at garage entry  area. 

I dont read thai but where is  laundry.  

I agree  think about the roof.  how does all that water get down off roof between two balconies  above the front door. that's like the deadly narrow slot canyons of Utah. no way could a roof not leak there.  to complicated for any roofer laborer unless it's his house. all roof to wall  junctions are high leak potential. 

how big is this family?  so many bedrooms.   

I agree with your US architect.   think about gutters and site drainage.  have the gutter company do there design then add them in  rendering.  renderings are cheap in Asia.   but I want to see how gutters look above front  door.  what type  of cooling will you use?  mini splits?  think about line set length,  condensor locations.   on balconies? max line set length is 65 or 85' on LG,  I seem to recall,  from my first and only design and self install.  

On 5/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, Crossy said:

Does anyone actually use balconies off bedrooms?

Ha ha, I put 2 Juliet balconies on my house.

They look nice but I don't use them, its just too damn hot in the mornings and the mozzies come in later.

51951557_10216606027730510_3788768987433664512_o.jpg.4e001773857f157d55abbf40442f4b9e.jpg

38 minutes ago, Elkski said:

garage way to small, depth and on sides  of cars

I would do away with the garage walls but retain the roof with columns at the door end. Instant usable shaded / dry outside space for entertaining.

We have a 6m x 6m car port with an Isuzu Mu-X and Ford Ranger. If it had walls I wouldn't be able to get in / out of the vehicles (I'm fat, but not that fat).

I'd also make one of the downstairs bathrooms accessible from the entertaining space, no party-goers traipsing through the house to let the beer out. Include a shower if you anticipate ever building a pool.

Our home is radically different in concept but there may be ideas you can borrow, story here:-

One thing I would definitely change is the kitchen design. 

1) you should not have the kitchen island narrow end to the hob. This is definitely a no no. 

2) you need more units for storing kitchen equipment etc etc. 

Lovely looking house but you need to start from scratch with the kitchen.. It's a terrible design, wasted space everywhere. 

Have you already bought the small lot?  at least it looks like there is a fixed-size lot there that you have to build inside.  

think about flow.  

in the house from  car with dirty shoes, wet rain  costs, umbrellas. 

carry in groceries, amd you have to walk all across the whole house.  

google triangle  kitchen design. Sink, refrigerator, stove should be in a triangle and only two or three steps away from each other.  what about a food pantry.  

I dont see a North arrow on the plans.  House designs should take into account the suns arc.   this is #1 in Thailand.   I have only visited Thailand 11 times and I do not plan to live there but at one time I was reading all of the house building Forums on Thai Visa plus another website.  I was convinced I was going to use the energy efficient blocks possibly a double wall,  massive overhanging roof.   I was thinking single level because I was think lot size  wasnt an issue.   

oh one more thing is how is city water  supply pressure,  quality.   can you add RO system and drink it?  will you need a storage tank amd pump.  are you planning on hot and cold water  or just point of use  heaters  in showers and sinks?