Travel, curfew restrictions next to be lifted

webfact

By THE NATION

800_198745f24847463.jpg?v=1590562297

Restarting interprovincial travel and reducing curfew hours will be the focus of the government meeting today (May 27) on the third phase of easing Covid-19 lockdown restrictions. The third-phase relaxation is due to begin on Monday (June 1).

Restrictions on travel in the country would be lifted at the meeting, confirmed Gen Somsak Rungsita, National Security Council (NSC) secretary-general.

Permission to ease the restrictions would come from central government, though provincial authorities could maintain tighter controls on movement at their borders if necessary, he added.

The possibility of reopening amusement parks, water parks and allowing some sports activities would also be discussed with public health agencies, said Somsak. However, venues and sports deemed to be at-risk of Covid-19 transmission would be restarted under the fourth phase of lockdown relaxation.

The meeting’s decisions will be put to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Friday (May 29). Guidelines for businesses and activities that can reopen will be announced on Saturday (May 30).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388593

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-27

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Permission to ease the restrictions would come from central government, though provincial authorities could maintain tighter controls on movement at their borders if necessary, he added.

I'll await announcements from the province's then before I start jumping with glee. 

• Like 2

They need to get domestic travel open as soon as possible and that, in turn, will encourage more hotels to re-open.   I think there are lots of people, including my partner and me, who are ready to do some traveling around Thailand with international travel banned.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Restarting interprovincial travel

More total krap, Wife's  been  up and down from  where  I  live to Bangkok 4  times in the last 5 weeks, a 260km journey,  not  stopped  not questioned, nothing.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DaLa said:

Does this mean I can finally leave the house and use my outside toilet at the bottom of the garden?

And with or without a mask?

How  ugly are you?

Just asking on behalf of a  neighbour????

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So each province will decide.

We could end up in a situation where you can travel to the province you need to go to, but that involves passing through a province that has not yet opened up.

This needs to be managed centrally, not by various provincial bigwigs. Either you can travel or you can't.

Cannot upset the brown envelope chain. Hence local gov'ners decide!!????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

The virus has very likely made it's rounds in November-February. The outbreaks that prompted the lockdowns seem to have been a second wave from Europe. Nextstrain shows a few connections in February. 

Since the lockdown did it's trick and borders are closed, they can open for now. But unless they set up a test&tracing network, eventually there will be another outbreak when the borders open. 

Right now is probably the safest time in Thailand for some time to come. Good time for domestic tourism. Enjoy it while you can.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Cannot upset the brown envelope chain. Hence local gov'ners decide!!????????????????????????????????

Another totally, absolutely, hilarious 'brown envelope' joke. Aren't these starting to get a bit stale? Can we have less of them? They don't make you look smart.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The virus has very likely made it's rounds in November-February. The outbreaks that prompted the lockdowns seem to have been a second wave from Europe. Nextstrain shows a few connections in February. 

Since the lockdown did it's trick and borders are closed, they can open for now. But unless they set up a test&tracing network, eventually there will be another outbreak when the borders open. 

Right now is probably the safest time in Thailand for some time to come. Good time for domestic tourism. Enjoy it while you can.

Thailand vs more or less anywhere else in the world looks very safe for coronavirus. I cannot decide whether the authorities have done a marvellous job......or whether they have been heavy handed. 

My view is that there are two distinct strains of this virus. Asian countries have low cases fatality rates in the region of 1-2%. European and US have case fatality rates of 5-13%.

I read an article, I forget where, where they traced the early cases of corona in NY to Italy, and on the West coast to Asia.

Just look down the daily figures and you will see that Western US has very low fatality rates and the east coast are very high.

48 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

My view is that there are two distinct strains of this virus. Asian countries have low cases fatality rates in the region of 1-2%. European and US have case fatality rates of 5-13%.

Nothing to do with 'more virulent strains', it's easily explained by the fact that Europeans and Americans have done their job and tested widely for the virus, whereas Asian countries have not. If you don't test for Covid19 how would you know if someone died of Covid 19? You can't know. Hence the Covid19 death rates in Asia are magically low.

Very simple explanation.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

from what I can see in my neck of the woods, people can pretty much drive or take a mini-van where ever the want now !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaLa said:

Does this mean I can finally leave the house and use my outside toilet at the bottom of the garden?

I'd keep the mask on for a bit longer .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Another totally, absolutely, hilarious 'brown envelope' joke. Aren't these starting to get a bit stale? Can we have less of them? They don't make you look smart.

OK, we will change it to income stream. Thaivisa members cannot be expected to stop posting about how the bigwigs run the country. I don't see where anyone is trying to look smart.

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Nor you with your bar stool tappers reply!!! 5555????????????????????????????????

On 5/27/2020 at 2:38 PM, DaLa said:

I have seen several people both in Thailand and countries like Vietnam, wear masks inside their homes. Absolute lunacy.

That being said, in my gated community at most half of all residents out and about are wearing masks. It isn't necessary unless you go somewhere considered "public" where lots of people gather such as a supermarket or use public transport.

I haven't worn a mask throughout this crisis at all.

5 hours ago, Logosone said:

Nothing to do with 'more virulent strains', it's easily explained by the fact that Europeans and Americans have done their job and tested widely for the virus, whereas Asian countries have not. If you don't test for Covid19 how would you know if someone died of Covid 19? You can't know. Hence the Covid19 death rates in Asia are magically low.

Very simple explanation.

Well, if you take the timeline into consideration, it might: