What was the first football match you attended?

garygooner

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Sir Tom Finneys testimonial match in 1960.

My old man's favourite player. He saw a few greats but still swears Sir Tom was the best he saw. He had the pleasure of having lunch with him once and can get a bit misty eyed when talking about it. 

My Dad was a Preston NE supporter having been born there but took me to my first game at Anfield, only God knows when as I can barely recall it. Liverpool beat Newcastle 2-0  with , I think, Keegan and Phil Neal scoring. 

Then i grew up a bit and was able to make my own choice of team, deciding on Everton - I think because I saw Latchford on the telly scoring a hatrick. My Dad took me to see Everton at Goodison in 78 or 79 and it was a 4-4 draw, again versus Newcastle. Very exciting game. I consider that my first game as i can remember it, and one of the best Ive ever seen.

Edited by nikmar
  • Like 2

My first game was a 1966 World Cup group game - North Korea vs USSR, on July 12, 1966 at Ayresome Park.

I was just a little kid at the time - all I knew about the USSR was that it was some strange foreign country somewhere to the East and I hadn't got a clue what or where North Korea was, so I spent the whole of the first half thinking that the strange, Asiatic-looking players must be the Russians. It wasn't until I made some comment about it at half time that my older brother, who'd taken me to the game, pointed out my mistake.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

My Dad took me to see West Ham at

White Hart Lane in the 50s, might have

been about 7yro then.

Standing only, right up at the back, everyone

was much taller than me, I only caught

sight of the ball when it was kicked

miles up in the air 'twice'.

Always been short in height and money.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nikmar said:

My old man's favourite player. He saw a few greats but still swears Sir Tom was the best he saw. He had the pleasure of having lunch with him once and can get a bit misty eyed when talking about it. 

My Dad was a Preston NE supporter having been born there but took me to my first game at Anfield, only God knows when as I can barely recall it. Liverpool beat Newcastle 2-0  with , I think, Keegan and Phil Neal scoring. 

Then i grew up a bit and was able to make my own choice of team, deciding on Everton - I think because I saw Latchford on the telly scoring a hatrick. My Dad took me to see Everton at Goodison in 78 or 79 and it was a 4-4 draw, again versus Newcastle. Very exciting game. I consider that my first game as i can remember it, and one of the best Ive ever seen.

Yes mate Sir Tom was the best outside left ever in England.

I actually dated his daughter Barbara for a few weeks, but she kicked me into touch.

• Like 2

At White Hart Lane about 1958 Spurs V Norwich in the cup. Stood right at the front near the center circle. Only remember one thing from the match and that is Norwich played  in yellow. Dad worked  Saturdays (overtime) so never saw another match.  Moved out of Edmonton when I was 12. Only been to White Hart Lane once since then I was making a delivery just before I retired here in 2006. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

My first game was a 1966 World Cup group game - North Korea vs USSR, on July 12, 1966 at Ayresome Park.

I was just a little kid at the time - all I knew about the USSR was that it was some strange foreign country somewhere to the East and I hadn't got a clue what or where North Korea was, so I spent the whole of the first half thinking that the strange, Asiatic-looking players must be the Russians. It wasn't until I made some comment about it at half time that my older brother, who'd taken me to the game, pointed out my mistake.

That was some ground Ayresome Park. 

While visiting in Europe (i will not mention what country as not to embarrass the people there) I took my young daughter to a game  (she played soccer in the US)  I was very happy that she did not speech or understand the language.

I was embarrassed!!! 

Anyone in the US  behaving like the people did in the stands there,, would had been arrested or at the very least removed by security and thrown out of the stadium.

The opposing team had a couple of Black players. The racist epithets hurled against  them  was unimaginable. It was simply embarrassing to me. We never went to another game .  

I think football games in Europe is an excuse for otherwise good  people to behave like animals. 

Sorry !!:sorry:

Edited by sirineou

I was dragged to watch my first, and only, football match at the tender age of 12.  It was bloody freezing and I was bored to death.  I have never wished to repeat the exercise and I can't stand to watch the game on TV, if indeed an actual 'game' ever breaks out of the utter monotony of it all.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2