What was the first football match you attended?

garygooner

3 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Southend United........age 5........don't remember the score although I'm sure it would have been Southend United nil................... we thought it was their full name for years.

Did Southend play at the Kursal amusement arcade when you saw them play? 

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Did Southend play at the Kursal amusement arcade when you saw them play? 

No I don't know anywhere else they played other than Roots Hall............or are joking me--yer perhaps the Kursal would have been a more fitting venue..Are you from that way? or just a day tripper...... we lived in a house for a few years not far from the Kursel, next to a great big Gasomiter when it was full it rose up so we had a few shillings reduction in rent as it was night time 24 hours.

Picture from the past: Southend gasworks and jetty in 1970

• Like 2

born and raised in canada to scottish immigrant parents.

first and only game i saw was celtic (not the fenin gers) vs aberdeen at parkhead. don't remember the outcome. a few things that stick out

from a small town seeing all the security at the game was nuts. police on horses all over the place. a helicopter patrolling the area. i saw a few groups running after their single friend who had different colors on. they seemed quite excited. they must of been playing tag or capture the flag cause i heard them saying things like. you're next. you going to get it jimmy. don't you run from me pal. then entering the stadium it felt like i was going to jail or something. i remember the turnstile was brick on either side. it was a very tight squeeze to get in. we then headed to the jungle for our seating. sounded like a hoot. so celtic scores and i end up 14 rows down from where we were standing a few seconds ago. i also remember the stadium shaking up and down from all the fans. was pretty intense.

as a canadian i also thought why don't they just kick the <deleted> out of each other on the field when they disagree like we do in hockey. take a 5 minute major for fighting and cool off. hahah 

also i kept hearing a strange chant over and over from the fans. ????

sheep shagging b*******

rhymes with smashtards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chercheur888 said:

Wembley 1972

England 1  WEST GERMANY 3 ????????????

I was also there. Gunter Netzer in his pomp.

But you missed out the Franny Lee goal for England. No, not a penalty.:biggrin:

57 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

No I don't know anywhere else they played other than Roots Hall............or are joking me--yer perhaps the Kursal would have been a more fitting venue..Are you from that way? or just a day tripper...... we lived in a house for a few years not far from the Kursel, next to a great big Gasomiter when it was full it rose up so we had a few shillings reduction in rent as it was night time 24 hours.

Picture from the past: Southend gasworks and jetty in 1970

No joke. What a slap with a wet fish?! Me joke?!

Southend United played at the Kursaal along with the dog racing. I just thought you saw then play there.

I an an Essex lad; Dagenham Dock area. WE would go to Southend-on-sea when we had some money. So posh! And when the Mods and Rockers were having fun, we would go there for confrontation. Couldn't always make it because the Peelers would block us, so we would head off to Shoeburyness.

I worked in 'Never Never Land' for one season.

First ever Pro' game was Leyton Orient v Sheffield Wednesday at Brisbane Road; 7th Feb' 1959. We (the 'O's)  lost 0-2.

The most exciting game I've ever been to, was at the National Stadium in Kingston Jamaica in 1998. The hosts had just qualified for the world cup finals and the atmosphere was something special. Damp squib of a game though; 0-0.

I was in Jamaica for the cricket at Sabina Park. On the Friday (the day before the footy) the game had been abandoned after just 10 overs.

• Like 1

My uncle took me to West Bromwich Albion in 1953 ( I was only 8 years old) when they were a top side. Crowds of 50,000 In those days. Can't remember the opponents or the score but the experience was enough to make me a lifetime supporter.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

My uncle took me to West Bromwich Albion in 1953 ( I was only 8 years old) when they were a top side. Crowds of 50,000 In those days. Can't remember the opponents or the score but the experience was enough to make me a lifetime supporter.

You are right about WBA being atop club.

They were top of the league in January 1953 and top also in December 1953. They could easily have been champions in the season 1953/54. A disastrous run-in when they lost 6 out of the last 9 games done it for them and handed the title to Wolves.

They won the FA cup that year; beating PNE 3-2.

I assume you mean "football played with feet", not the American thing. Being an American geezer from Pacific NW, "soccer" wasn't on the radar. If we wanted to play in grade school pick up game, we'd have to use a volleyball. Soccer scores weren't in the papers; no attention paid to World Cup.

In 1975 NASL formed. I happened to live a couple blocks from stadium (handy). I believe first game I saw was Portland Timbers v San Jose. No idea the score other than we won. Our team was composed of mostly English 1st division players on loan. We came close to winning title couple of times, got to see Pele and Beckenbauer in sunset of their careers. One of the players, Peter Wyth became manager of Thailand decades later.

Soviet Union vs. Sudan

Munich Olympics 

I was backpacking in Europe in my teens. 

I remember the vodka soaked Soviet fans vividly. 

30 August 1972
12:00
Soviet Union 23px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png 2–1 23px-Flag_of_Sudan.svg.png Sudan
Yevriuzhikin Goal 42' (pen.)
Zanazanyan Goal 44'
Report Jaxa Goal 59'
Attendance: 25.000
Referee: Ferdinand Biwersi West Germany

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_1972_Summer_Olympics

Edited by Jingthing

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Southend United played at the Kursaal along with the dog racing. I just thought you saw then play there.

Your right---just looked it up......I must have seen them there because it was way before 1955, looking back I just assumed it was Roots Hall.

It took 10 years to fully complete the building of Roots Hall. The first game was played on 20 August 1955----wiki

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, peleid said:

York City v Bradford City, 1968, unable to remember score.

Hooked been a York City fan ever since

25 Mar 1968 York City v Bradford Park Avenue W 6-2 League Division Four

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Your right---just looked it up......I must have seen them there because it was way before 1955, looking back I just assumed it was Roots Hall.

It took 10 years to fully complete the building of Roots Hall. The first game was played on 20 August 1955----wiki

I reckon you lived close to Northumberland Avenue. Do you know when the gasometers were removed Sanuk?

I had a friend who lived in Beresford Road. She was a good swimmer, I can recall. But can't remember her name.

For me it depends on football codes.  First rugby league match was at Pratten Park in Ashfield ( Sydney ) in 1960 -  Western Suburbs v Parramatta.

First game of soccer was a in 1971 Marconi-Fairfield v ???

My first soccer international was Australia v Bulgaria, also 1971.

My sister took me to a semi-pro football (soccer) match somewhere in Pennsylvania--I can't remember where.  Watched the whole game and my sister kept telling me how exciting it was.  There was not a single score and I thought it was the most boring sports event I've ever seen.  That was my first and last attendance at a soccer match. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I reckon you lived close to Northumberland Avenue. Do you know when the gasometers were removed Sanuk?

No we were not there for long...... got transferred to one of the new towns----The  "Hanging Gardens of Basildon"" then lucky to get another transfer to a lovely little village Thundersley ---- stayed there until the mid 60s and then left the UK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1