What was the first football match you attended?

garygooner

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

My sister took me to a semi-pro football (soccer) match somewhere in Pennsylvania--I can't remember where.  Watched the whole game and my sister kept telling me how exciting it was.  There was not a single score and I thought it was the most boring sports event I've ever seen.  That was my first and last attendance at a soccer match. 

The Americans do love scores. 20-10 in ice hockey, 40-30 in football and that awful game where seven foot tall guys throw a ball into a little net; 115-110. Baseball can be exciting though. Why is baseball not in the Olympics?

How they would ever find a draw in cricket exciting is beyond me. USA have beaten England a couple of times at our football. 

Looks like I am in the minority here, but I have never had any interest in football ever.

When we were about 10 my brother and I were dragged along by my football-mad dad to the home team St Mirren playing someone in orange. No idea who they were. It was cold as were the pies, rainy and miserable. My uncle and cousins and dad used to go every week I am pretty sure now we were a big disappointment to him. My cousins greedily ate our pies and quaffed back the disgusting bovril. He would take a ball every time we went out in the car and he'd kick it about with my sister, shaking his head at our lack of interest. ????

Roll forward 30 years and I had a boss who followed Glasgow Rangers, and he was often asked to hospitality sporting events, not always football though, which we both went to. He never asked me to football though as he knew I couldn't care less. However he was stuck once and rather than go alone he asked me - it was a European team, big game. The food and drink was amazing and taxi home provided, but I had to try hard to seem to enjoy the game for his sake. I also had to pretend to recognise the players as they were rolled in after the match to bask in their limelight. I had no clue who they were and declined a few autographs much to the surprise of the room.

As I had behaved not too badly he asked me to another one, can't remember who was playing this time. This one had free champagne flowing a little too freely and at the pre-match dinner my true feelings about football and footballers came spewing out at the table, bearing in mind the whole table of mostly strangers were ardent fans of the Scottish side. My boss was so embarrassed and at one point leaned in and whispered ' if you don't shut up I am going to stab you with my fork'.

Last game I ever seen.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

No we were not there for long...... got transferred to one of the new towns----The  "Hanging Gardens of Basildon"" then lucky to get another transfer to a lovely little village Thundersley ---- stayed there until the mid 60s and then left the UK.

Thundersley now that brings back memories... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

I never mention it --because not meet anyone who has heard of it.......when asked "where from?'   just used to say Southend or Benfleet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Beautiful, but hilly for East Essex. Bread and Cheese Hill; not for the weak!! Has lovely protected woods.

36 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I never mention it --because not meet anyone who has heard of it.......when asked "where from?'   just used to say Southend or Benfleet.

Thought everyone knew Thundersley!?

As a keen fisherman I would travel anywhere that there was rumored to be a lake with monsters. So I have traveled over much of Essex. Although there are monsters in Aquatels (Basildon). But developed in 1976; so long after your time.

In later years (after you left Sanuk) I was a regular at the Runnymede swimming Pool, where competitions were held.

Edited by owl sees all

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

The Americans do love scores. 20-10 in ice hockey, 40-30 in football and that awful game where seven foot tall guys throw a ball into a little net; 115-110. Baseball can be exciting though. Why is baseball not in the Olympics?

How they would ever find a draw in cricket exciting is beyond me. USA have beaten England a couple of times at our football. 

USA have only beaten England once

The United States defeated England 1–0 on 29 June 1950, in a group match of the 1950 FIFA World Cup at Estádio Independência in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais. The result is notable as one of the biggest upsets in the tournament's history. ... The game's only goal was scored by Haitian-born U.S. center forward Joe Gaetjens

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Slough Town v ??? 1959. Went with my dad.

Most boring wet and cold afternnon that I have spent in my life.

Never went to another match.

Be fair, Slough is a dull dreary pace all the time,

now if you had come over to my sunny Marlow.................

5 minutes ago, wilai said:

The States also beat England in the early nineties IIRC

The two defeats

1-0 29th June 1950

2-0 09th June 1993

Have we ever beaten the US at American football?

28 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

I assume you mean league football?

In that case it was Leicester City v Wolves, 1952, with my Dad. Can't remember the score.

Probably 1954 (11th December).

Leicester City 1 - Wolves 2

Only home game against Wolves between 1939 and 1957

Edited by owl sees all

9 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Bournemouth 1  Manchester United 2  1957  A cup match with Bmth I-0 up at half time. The whole town were cheering the Cherries, but alas it was not to be. Get your calculator out, I was 15 back then.

You're a young 78. My relatives live in Southbourne, so I've been to Bournemouth a few times. Great place. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Bournemouth 1  Manchester United 2  1957  A cup match with Bmth I-0 up at half time. The whole town were cheering the Cherries, but alas it was not to be. Get your calculator out, I was 15 back then.

Talk about minnows against giants. The home team were in The 3rd Division South. Big crowd of just under 30k.

Bournemouth and United didn't meet in any competition for 25 years after that game. They have a terrible record against Utd. Villa did Utd in the Cup final that season, 3-2 I think.

Let's hope they stay in the EPL for many seasons yet.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Talk about minnows against giants. The home team were in The 3rd Division South. Big crowd of just under 30k.

Bournemouth and United didn't meet in any competition for 25 years after that game. They have a terrible record against Utd. Villa did Utd in the Cup final that season, 3-2 I think.

Let's hope they stay in the EPL for many seasons yet.

Yes the Cherries were the minnows back then. They have done very well over the years, not that I follow them or ever did. The ladies who owned the Kings Park ground gave the club some encouragement in that if the club should reach the 2nd division, the ground would be given to the club. However, the ladies died before that event and their estate was, to my knowledge, divided between the borough council and the Bournemouth NHS hospital, hence the new Bmth hospital on Castle Lane. Chase Manhattan took over the Cooper-Dean house but I don't know details. You're possibly not interested, as its all local history. 

• Like 1

Tampa Bay Rowdies vs New York Cosmos cir 1975 at Tampa Bay Stadium...fondly known as The Sombrero. Most of you will not consider this proper football, but The North American Soccer League was a BLAST! ????????

On 5/28/2020 at 2:30 PM, Surasak said:

78 now and I used my head

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

78 now and I used my head

Actually 79 now. And you can only use your head as there were no calculators back then. I like it when shopping give the 105 for the item priced at 55, and out cones the calculator.

52 minutes ago, garygooner said:

61 yrs ago mate. Brilliant. Can you remember the attendance & scorers? 

Ease up mate !

I remember my Dad had to take me (He hated football) as my birthday was coming up soon, It was a grey September day but I was happy just to be at a real football match. I did wonder where on the coast Port Vale was, after checking an atlas when I got home it turned out to be near Stoke-on-Trent, go figure !

• Like 1