What was the first football match you attended?

garygooner

1957, aged 3, Huddersfield Town's old ground, Leeds Road. Walked to the ground with my dad. No idea who we played or the score. Only memorable because we were in the visitors end and I was sat on a wall that divided the pitch from the stand. At one point in the game Dennis Law, Town forward, made a good run into the box but had nowhere to go. I jumped off the wall and ran onto the pitch to give him a hand. Dad was furious and I wasn't taken to the match again for a couple of years.

When I was 8, had a Border Collie who surreptitiously followed me to the ground and sneaked in. During the game he ran onto the pitch twice and the stewards threw us both out of the ground.

Always got a plastic beaker of Tizer on the way home, sold from the front room of an old cottage. 3d.

Very different days.

Edited by Phil McCaverty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LeungKen said:

Ease up mate !

I remember my Dad had to take me (He hated football) as my birthday was coming up soon, It was a grey September day but I was happy just to be at a real football match. I did wonder where on the coast Port Vale was, after checking an atlas when I got home it turned out to be near Stoke-on-Trent, go figure !

My dad would have said, "that's when football was football and men were men!"  Not a bad ground Tranmere. 

• Like 1