BANGKOK
garygooner

What was the first football match you attended?

9 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Bournemouth 1  Manchester United 2  1957  A cup match with Bmth I-0 up at half time. The whole town were cheering the Cherries, but alas it was not to be. Get your calculator out, I was 15 back then.

You're a young 78. My relatives live in Southbourne, so I've been to Bournemouth a few times. Great place. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Bournemouth 1  Manchester United 2  1957  A cup match with Bmth I-0 up at half time. The whole town were cheering the Cherries, but alas it was not to be. Get your calculator out, I was 15 back then.

Talk about minnows against giants. The home team were in The 3rd Division South. Big crowd of just under 30k.

Bournemouth and United didn't meet in any competition for 25 years after that game. They have a terrible record against Utd. Villa did Utd in the Cup final that season, 3-2 I think.

Let's hope they stay in the EPL for many seasons yet.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Talk about minnows against giants. The home team were in The 3rd Division South. Big crowd of just under 30k.

Bournemouth and United didn't meet in any competition for 25 years after that game. They have a terrible record against Utd. Villa did Utd in the Cup final that season, 3-2 I think.

Let's hope they stay in the EPL for many seasons yet.

Yes the Cherries were the minnows back then. They have done very well over the years, not that I follow them or ever did. The ladies who owned the Kings Park ground gave the club some encouragement in that if the club should reach the 2nd division, the ground would be given to the club. However, the ladies died before that event and their estate was, to my knowledge, divided between the borough council and the Bournemouth NHS hospital, hence the new Bmth hospital on Castle Lane. Chase Manhattan took over the Cooper-Dean house but I don't know details. You're possibly not interested, as its all local history. 

• Like 1

When I was about 10, my grandfather took me to see Ayr United twice.

That's done me so far, I'm in my 60's now and I haven't felt the need to go again.

• Haha 2

Tampa Bay Rowdies vs New York Cosmos ⚽ cir 1975 at Tampa Bay Stadium...fondly known as The Sombrero. Most of you will not consider this proper football, but The North American Soccer League was a BLAST! 😁👍

8 hours ago, rwill said:

San Diego Chargers vs. Los Angeles raiders 1974

Would’ve been the Oakland Raiders back then.

• Like 1

Post removed. Trolling

Posted (edited)

Millwall v coventry. Circa 63 . Att george Curtis was a family friend  so I made my old man take me along.. still remember calling him over after the game....

Edited by 3 minus 2
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 2:30 PM, Surasak said:

78 now and I used my head

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

78 now and I used my head

Actually 79 now. And you can only use your head as there were no calculators back then. I like it when shopping give the 105 for the item priced at 55, and out cones the calculator.

5th September 1959.

Tranmere Rovers 6 v 0 Port Vale.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LeungKen said:

5th September 1959.

Tranmere Rovers 6 v 0 Port Vale.

61 yrs ago mate. Brilliant. Can you remember the attendance & scorers? 

52 minutes ago, garygooner said:

61 yrs ago mate. Brilliant. Can you remember the attendance & scorers? 

Ease up mate !

I remember my Dad had to take me (He hated football) as my birthday was coming up soon, It was a grey September day but I was happy just to be at a real football match. I did wonder where on the coast Port Vale was, after checking an atlas when I got home it turned out to be near Stoke-on-Trent, go figure !

• Like 1