Mosquito and bug zappers

Saraburi121

Searched the forums for recent information to no avail on any new technology in reference to patio or indoor devices that particularly kill mosquitos. Looked on Lazada and found a plethora of items with little reviews of substance.  Not a bad mosquito problem here but would like to know of any products that members had success with.   

I had good luck with blacklight/fan (Blackhole) type unit several years ago but fan overheated and turned the cheap plastic into open flame that could have been serious if no immediately seen.  Have not used any units since as cheap fans can overheat and the plastic used for cheap items burns easily.  Now only use racket type killers.  There have been recent discussions - try a thaivisa search with Google.

I bought a blue light and suction fan type of trap, but despite the presence of mosquitos it never got one ???? Also bought 3 (Three !) cans of spray in the largest store here in Pattaya, cunningly made to look like Shelltox, but on later examination proved to be a copy. Normally when you spray a mosquito it falls like a shot pigeon, but I swear the mosquitos flew off with a new vigour ! Some blue lights seem to work fantasticall, while others do nothing ????

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Some blue lights seem to work fantasticall, while others do nothing ????

True - believe you need the UV type used by banks which do not have a very good life span when used full time.  Colored and LED lamps seem to be useless.  

Mozzies are attracted to their victims by the CO2 they breathe out, unlike many other insects which are attracted to UV sources.

The devices that emit ultrasonic sound are claimed to be ineffective against mozzies too.  Your best bet's the zapper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I bought a blue light and suction fan type of trap, but despite the presence of mosquitos it never got one ???? Also bought 3 (Three !) cans of spray in the largest store here in Pattaya, cunningly made to look like Shelltox, but on later examination proved to be a copy. Normally when you spray a mosquito it falls like a shot pigeon, but I swear the mosquitos flew off with a new vigour ! Some blue lights seem to work fantasticall, while others do nothing ????

...i always used to fly off with vigour when i saw blue lights in my mirror.

• Haha 2

Similarly we have found the blue light ones completely useless. We rely on the incense ones and the trusty racket.

We bought a new racket about 6 months ago made by ‘Yage’ and it’s the mutt’s nuts, you charge it buy unscrewing a section of the handle (which also doubles as a flashlight) and stick it in the outlet overnight. Get one from Homepro, etc. A single charge lasts at least 10 days and has from new.

It also helps to give the mozzies somewhere to hang out at night, in my case it’s a pair of sweaty old Sketchers. In the morning I come out and pat them down with the racket and usually get 10 - 15 of the f**kers, we’re usually mozzie free for the rest of the day.

• Like 2

We have problems with mozzies, but I am unable to use the burning things or the large spray cans. ( they give me bad coughing fits )

I use this 1 spray thing from 7/11 and if your not in the room for a while just spray it once. Never had a problem with it. Some members may disagree, however you asked if anyone had success with any products. I cant fault this, but its for use in an enclosed room or space.

gvtrdtretestestes.jpg

The search function from TV Forum is absolutely worthless.

Searching TVF content is best done using google.

Just type in 'thaivisa' followed by your search term, e.g. 'mosquito', and bingo to find those threads/posts you are looking for.

I have used many and found: Typically people place the outdoor ones in the wrong places and it attracts the bugs to the location they do not want the bugs. All the big zappers I have used have a short life span outside. Yes the CO2 works a tad better. Best to place then away from doors and places you sit etc. Use replants in the door and populated areas. Best easy repellent is the fragrant lemon grass. I keep potted ones at the doors. Inside the house I use cheap wall plug bug zappers: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pest-repeller-light-220v-electric-led-light-mosquito-killer-fly-bug-insect-zapper-trap-catcher-plug-lamp-i980340301-s2115582115.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.23.4b1a110bFGNBCn&search=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HDPattaya said:

Inside the house I use cheap wall plug bug zappers:

My experience was these, or any led, are totally useless.  Been a few years but suspect I would find the same today.

11 minutes ago, david2923 said:

I got many with my UV Black hole type. I bought what I thought the best for about 1000B 

its called Protel Plus and bought on Lazada

You get what you pay for

I do not see any such name on Lazada currently.  Be very careful as I had several black hole type units and agree they work well with UV light - but there is a real danger if fan overheats as plastic can become an open flame (and I mean nasty).  We will not have such a unit inside house since.