Jimmy Fallon 'very sorry' for 2000 blackface skit on Saturday Night Live

snoop1130

Jimmy Fallon 'very sorry' for 2000 blackface skit on Saturday Night Live

By Tania Snuggs

skynews-jimmy-fallon-saturday-night-live_4999761.jpg

Jimmy Fallon. Pics: NBC/Clint Spaulding/Shutterstock

US late night TV host Jimmy Fallon has apologised for wearing blackface during a Saturday Night Live (SNL) sketch 20 years ago.

NBC's Tonight Show star can be seen with dark make-up in the scene, where he portrayed fellow comedian and SNL cast member Chris Rock appearing on a talk show.

Fallon tweeted: "In 2000, while on SNL, I made a terrible decision to do an impersonation of Chris Rock while in blackface.

"There is no excuse for this.

Full Story: https://news.sky.com/story/jimmy-fallon-very-sorry-for-2000-blackface-skit-on-saturday-night-live-11995370

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Jesus people, let it go! Comedy is there to push the edge. The blackface was to play a black character, not insult black people. Big difference.

Personally I liked John Wayne when he played Genghis Khan   ????

• Like 1

Come on Jimmy, if you have to make excuse to preempt stuff that bites from the past, then just go for the big one:

"46 years ago I made the terrible decision to be born. I should have stayed inside to avoid any future litigation on racial issues, 'metoo', religion, etc. I know that now, I was clueless then. So sorry!"

• Like 2

My favourite film Tropic Thunder with Robert Downey Jr playing what I believe was the last black face on an international platform. He got away with it and I doubt very much we'll be hearing an apology from him Soon. When will people understand that comedy pushes the barrier to the extreme in many cases. It's not so much about doing the black face rather the context in which it is done. Hell, even black people laughed at this movie. Why? because it was hilarious. 

https://youtu.be/qEzXD4xImwM?t=56

• Like 1